Author Topic: Trump lauds Indiana GOP Senate candidate, knocks Donnelly as 'Sleepin’ Joe'  (Read 753 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump lauds Indiana GOP Senate candidate, knocks Donnelly as 'Sleepin’ Joe'
The Hill, May 10, 2018, Lisa Hagen

President Trump on Thursday night heaped praise on newly minted Indiana GOP Senate nominee Mike Braun while escalating attacks on his opponent, incumbent Sen. Joe Donnelly (D-Ind.).

During a campaign rally in Elkhart, Ind., Trump lauded Braun as an effective businessman and someone who will be a loyal backer of the president’s agenda while characterizing Donnelly as simply awaiting marching orders from Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.).

“This November Indiana will face an important choice: you can send a really incredible swamp person back to the Senate like Joe Donnelly, or you can send us a Republican like Mike Braun to drain the swamp," Trump said, adding Donnelly "will do whatever Chuck Schumer and [House Minority Leader] Nancy Pelosi tell him what to do.”

“If Joe Donnelly, Sleepin’ Joe and the Democrats, get back into power, remember what I said: they will raise your taxes, they will destroy your jobs, and they are going to knock the hell out of your borders,” he added.

Trump took repeated jabs at Donnelly as Republicans target the vulnerable incumbent, one of 10 Senate Democrats running for reelection this year in states that Trump carried in the 2016 election.

More:  http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/387207-trump-lauds-indiana-gop-senate-candidate-knocks-donnelly-as-sleepin-joe

The Latest: Trump says America is ‘rockin” at Indiana rally
Washington Post, May 10, 2018

President Donald Trump is declaring America “rockin’” as he kicks off a campaign rally in Elkhart, Indiana.

Trump on Thursday talked up the economy and his accomplishments, telling a rowdy audience that the “great news keeps rolling in.”

He says he doesn’t think “we’ve ever done better as a country.” He says, “We making America proud. We are rockin.’”

Trump is also warning of the potential consequences of Democratic wins in the midterms in November that threaten to derail his agenda in Congress

More:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/congress/the-latest-pence-lauds-trumps-leadership-at-indiana-rally/2018/05/10/b7624f62-54aa-11e8-a6d4-ca1d035642ce_story.html?utm_term=.22e20974577f

In Indiana, Trump Urges GOP to Mobilize for 2018 Midterms
US News, May 10, 2018

ELKHART, Ind. (AP) — Embracing his role as party leader, President Donald Trump issued a stern warning at a rally Thursday that Democrats would disrupt the economic progress of his administration, imploring Republicans to mobilize during the 2018 midterm elections.

Trump used one of his signature rallies in northern Indiana to paint a rosy picture of his presidency, pointing to low unemployment, "booming" job growth and optimism under his watch. Two days after Indiana wrapped up a divisive Republican Senate primary, the president praised a lengthy ticket of House and Senate candidates by name and predicted Democrats would dismantle his agenda if they regained control of Congress.

"You have to work every day between now and November to elect more Republicans so that we can continue to make America great again," Trump said, referencing his 2016 campaign slogan.

The president, who was joined at the Elkhart rally by home-state Vice President Mike Pence, said Democrats would raise taxes, "destroy your jobs" and "knock the hell out of your border."

More: https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2018-05-10/trump-is-returning-to-campaign-roots-at-rally-in-indiana

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

One of my favorite pundits, Mark Steyn, is a frequent guest on Tucker Carlson.  He was really funny last night in praising Trump's speeches. 

He made the comparison I've sometimes made ... to Roosevelt's fireside chats.  He compared the way Roosevelt was able to connect with the people to the way Trump is able to do so.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

One of my favorite pundits, Mark Steyn, is a frequent guest on Tucker Carlson.  He was really funny last night in praising Trump's speeches. 

He made the comparison I've sometimes made ... to Roosevelt's fireside chats.  He compared the way Roosevelt was able to connect with the people to the way Trump is able to do so.

I caught that segment, too @Emjay  ... He went on to say political science programs will be teaching a class on how to be Donald Trump for the next fifty years.   :laugh:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I caught that segment, too @Emjay  ... He went on to say political science programs will be teaching a class on how to be Donald Trump for the next fifty years.   :laugh:

@Right_in_Virginia   Wasn't that segment great?  I love Mark Steyn.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

@Right_in_Virginia   Wasn't that segment great?  I love Mark Steyn.

Me, too @Emjay  :beer: