Author Topic: EU tells Trump he doesn’t have the power to unilaterally scrap the Iran nuclear deal  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

EU tells Trump he doesn’t have the power to unilaterally scrap the Iran nuclear deal
Independent, May 9, 2018, Yahoo News

The European Union has rebuked Donald Trump over his move to break the Iran nuclear deal, telling the US president he does not have the power to unilaterally scrap the international agreement.

In a statement delivered on Tuesday night EU foreign affairs chief Federica Mogherini said the US should reconsider its position, but that it was not within the power of the country’s president to end the accord.

Mr Trump ended the US’s commitment to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action negotiated between Iran, the EU, US, Russia, China, France, Britain, and Germany, which was signed by his predecessor Barack Obama in 2015.

He claims the deal is “decaying and rotten” and says it is “an embarrassment” to him “as a citizen”. In the US the deal is politically-charged because it is seen as a key legacy as Barack Obama. It is also opposed by Israel, a close US ally in the region.

Speaking in Rome the EU’s Ms Mogherini said Europe “regrets” Mr Trump’s new policy, but added: “As we have always said the nuclear deal is not a bilateral agreement and it is not in the hands of any single country to terminate it unilaterally.

“Let me conclude with a message to Iranian citizens and leaders, to each and every one of them: do not let anyone dismantle this agreement,” she said.

More:  https://www.yahoo.com/news/eu-tells-trump-doesn-t-082500816.html

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Let it burn.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
He's not pulling Germany out of it.   He's pulling the US out of it
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline skeeter

Does anyone else find it strange that the only two countries routinely threatened with annihilation by Iran are the only one's against this ridiculous agreement?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
F the EU.

Not bigly enough.

Whatcha gonna do there EU??
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
The other countries are free to stay in it, if they want to. Just be prepared to deal with sanctions down the road.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
At the end of the day the Iran deal is not about Iranian nukes or sanctions.   Its about setting a precedent for the American President to bypass Congress and submit to the European puppet masters.  All part of the move to a global dictatorship modeled after what the EU is doing.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Frank Cannon

At the end of the day the Iran deal is not about Iranian nukes or sanctions.   Its about setting a precedent for the American President to bypass Congress and submit to the European puppet masters.  All part of the move to a global dictatorship modeled after what the EU is doing.

Exactly. This "Deal" was a fraud.

Offline thackney

State Department: Iran Deal Is Not ‘Legally Binding’ and Iran Didn’t Sign It
https://www.nationalreview.com/2015/11/state-department-iran-deal-not-legally-binding-signed/

“The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) is not a treaty or an executive agreement, and is not a signed document,” wrote Julia Frifield, the State Department assistant secretary for legislative affairs, in the November 19 letter.

Frifield wrote the letter in response to a letter Pompeo sent Secretary of State John Kerry, in which he observed that the deal the president had submitted to Congress was unsigned and wondered if the administration had given lawmakers the final agreement. Frifield’s response emphasizes that Congress did receive the final version of the deal. But by characterizing the JCPOA as a set of “political commitments” rather than a more formal agreement, it is sure to heighten congressional concerns that Iran might violate the deal’s terms.  President Obama didn’t require Iranian leaders to sign the nuclear deal that his team negotiated with the regime, and the deal is not “legally binding,” his administration acknowledged in a letter to Representative Mike Pompeo (R., Kan.) obtained by National Review....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
My, my EU, aren't our imperialist ambitions a bit out of control today?
The Republic is lost.

Offline verga

The other countries are free to stay in it, if they want to. Just be prepared to deal with sanctions down the road.
:amen:
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

if Obama had really wanted it, he would have gotten Senate approval.

Since he didn't, it cannot be enforced
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
He's not pulling Germany out of it.   He's pulling the US out of it

That's right.  And of course he can do what he did - Obama didn't have the balls to submit the agreement to Congress for ratification.   As for Europe, it can choose whether to deal with Iran or deal with us.  I find myself quite indifferent one way or another . . .
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
if Obama had really wanted it, he would have gotten Senate approval.

Since he didn't, it cannot be enforced

Correction:  He could have asked.  It does not follow he would have gotten it.  Asking for it, and failing would have demonstrated there was not support for it in the Senate.  There's is no way Obama's precious"deal" would have survived an attempt at proper ratification, and he knew it.

IOW, Obama half-assed this thing, like everything else the little weasel has ever done.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
IOW, Obama half-assed this thing, like everything else the little weasel has ever done.

I’ve got a pen and I've got a phone - oh, and a plane load of cash.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.