Author Topic: 'It had been there 30-some years': Naperville resident finds box containing radioactive material  (Read 455 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
A brown package containing radioactive uranium was removed from a Naperville home Wednesday morning, Naperville Fire Division Chief Amy Scheller said.

Elizabeth and Tom Obrachta contacted Naperville officials about 11:30 a.m. after they found the suspicious package while cleaning the basement of their single-family home in the 1000 block of Huntleigh Drive, Tom Obrachta said. The package label said it contained pure uranium.

Naperville firefighters brought in the DuPage County hazmat team, which determined the box did contain radioactive material but not at levels considered dangerous, Scheller said. The public was not at risk, she said.

Read more at: http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/naperville-sun/news/ct-nvs-naperville-radioactive-package-st-0511-story.html
The Republic is lost.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Well it belonged to a research scientist, but back in the fifties anyone could have it or prospect for it on public lands. Hell you can still buy small quantities of uranium ore on Amazon. Sounds like an overreaction to it.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I have a radioactive ore fluorescent display I received from my dad.