Author Topic: Legless Veteran Turned Away from VA Hospital at 2:30 a.m.  (Read 732 times)

Online mountaineer

Legless Veteran Turned Away from VA Hospital at 2:30 a.m.
« on: May 10, 2018, 01:41:32 pm »
This is from Twitter, not a published news source.
After a 5hr wait I was turned away form @AtlantaVAMC at 2:30am this morning without treatment or explaination. Here’s what happened..
1:27 PM - 9 May 2018

I had been seeing a civilian doctor for about a year here near my home and work in Newnan, GA. He sees me monthly and proscribed a very moderate amount of pain medication. (I’m incredibly healthy and active).

In January he informed me he could no longer accept Medicare or TriCare. (A business decision he had to make and I understand why). I began the process of moving my treatment to @DeptVetAffairs at that time.

They informed me that my only recourse was to go to the VA Emergency Room in Decatur, GA (1hr 30mins north of my home) and show my current script and they proscribe the same meds until my appointment.

I work for a living and don’t have a full day for this every month so my old doc agreed to to continue seeing me until April. So,on May 3rd my proscription was up and I needed enough medication to last until May 21st for an appointment I(still haven’t received official notice of)

Finally yesterday I called the 404-321-6111 again and confirmed that I was embarking upon the correct course of action to seek care. They affirmed and I showed up at the Decatur VA ER at 9:30pm@last night after my son’s baseball game which had me on that side of Atlanta.

I showed my current script to the recpetionist, she affirmed and sent me to ER/Fast Track Check in. I walked down the hall and showed my script (tried to give full story but she wasn’t interested) to check in. Was given a hospital bracelet and sat at 10:15pm to wait.

At 12:24am I was called back for vitals. I again showed my script, this time with full explanation, and was assured that I was doing the right thing. At 1:55am I noticed everyone but me, including those who came in after me, had been called back. I walked to the nurse station..

And asked when I would be seen. They told me that they close at 2am and I would be moved to a different part of the hospital. I showed my frustration so the nurse walked me straight back to the on duty doctor. He was preparing to leave at 2am (end of his shift)

He was rude, desmissive and said “I’m leaving I’ve been here all day, you’ll have to wait” to which I replied “I’ve had no legs for 8 years I feel so bad for you” he then changed his demeanor and looked at my script. He smirked and said “I can’t fill this here”... I lost it.

I explained to him why I ended up there to begin with, and he interrupted me and said “we don’t treat chronic pain here” to which I replied, “I don’t have chronic pain I have lost my legs in war pain and I’m pretty sure you treat that?”

He brushed passed me without responding. I thought he was going to get my chart to take care of me, the nurse asked me to sit down. A few minutes later the nurse came back and told me the New doctor on duty (Dr. Baxter) would see me shortly (almost 3am at this point)

After another 15 minute wait the nurse came back and told me it would be quite a long wait before she would get to me and that he didn’t think she would writes a script anyway. I left in complete astonishment.

Dear @DeptVetAffairs what am I supposed to do? How do I get the treatment I need/deserve if following YOUR directions gets me a 5hr wait, smart ass comments and turned away???
A doctor responds:
Barry Schapiro, MD  @bschapiroMD
15h15 hours ago
Replying to @Johnny_Joey @AtlantaVAMC

I’m a civilian doc and we take MC and TriCare. Always have; always will. If it was up to the bean-counters, we’d have stopped a long time ago. It’s a financial loser. But that’s what we do for our heroes. It’s a minimal sacrifice in comparison, really. Thanks for your sacrifice.

Johnny (Joey) JonesVerified account @Johnny_Joey
Son of a brick mason, SSgt of Marines, Graduate of Georgetown, Servant. @southernground @campsouthernground spox @Foxnews analyst @bootcampaign Advisor Board!
Atlanta, GA
johnnyjoeyjones.com
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Legless Veteran Turned Away from VA Hospital at 2:30 a.m.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 01:52:50 pm »
and THATS why I don't use the VA.   I'm lucky enough to be able to work and buy my own insurance.   Govt doctors have had enough chances to kill me and I don't plan to give them any more.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 09:03:40 pm »
My family members have stories too.  Not good ones. 

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 09:31:25 pm »
I was with JRandomFeeeper, Johnny, (on Free Republic), the whole time he had lung/brain cancer and he used the VA clinic in Ft. Worth and the VA Hospital in Dallas.  We took him to the VA clinic when his brother could not, and during those times, he got prompt treatment and the same in the Dallas hospital.

Some of you knew Johnny's personality, so it might have been that personality that got him good treatment.
I recall one time when we took him to the clinic and that was to confirm an appointment.  He was having to use a cane at the time, walking had become difficult.  He skipped the waiting room and went straight to the back to the person who did scheduling.  He told me the guy said, "Have you checked in up front?"  And Johnny said just check the appointment and I will be out of here.  The guy did it and Johnny was back with me in the waiting room.  That took less than 10 minutes when we walked in - Bob walked in about then from parking the car and we were already ready to leave.  Johnny said you have to know the system to get what you want.

One time his morphine hadn't come through the mail and he called us.  I had hydrocodone and we took off to his house to give him pills to last until the med came.  It is for sure a seriously ill Vet needs someone to help him.

I'm sorry the Vet in this story had such a hard time. 
I have a woman friend who has Tricare insurance due to her deceased Vet husband, and she is having serious trouble finding a surgeon who accepts Tricare.  She has three abdominal hernias and need surgery.  How can doctors refuse to take military Tricare insurance?  That is an abomination for Vets and their families.  What is the point of having insurance if docs won't take it?  We need a law and makes them take it.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 09:56:29 pm »
I was with JRandomFeeeper, Johnny, (on Free Republic), the whole time he had lung/brain cancer and he used the VA clinic in Ft. Worth and the VA Hospital in Dallas.  We took him to the VA clinic when his brother could not, and during those times, he got prompt treatment and the same in the Dallas hospital.

Some of you knew Johnny's personality, so it might have been that personality that got him good treatment.
I recall one time when we took him to the clinic and that was to confirm an appointment.  He was having to use a cane at the time, walking had become difficult.  He skipped the waiting room and went straight to the back to the person who did scheduling.  He told me the guy said, "Have you checked in up front?"  And Johnny said just check the appointment and I will be out of here.  The guy did it and Johnny was back with me in the waiting room.  That took less than 10 minutes when we walked in - Bob walked in about then from parking the car and we were already ready to leave.  Johnny said you have to know the system to get what you want.

One time his morphine hadn't come through the mail and he called us.  I had hydrocodone and we took off to his house to give him pills to last until the med came.  It is for sure a seriously ill Vet needs someone to help him.

I'm sorry the Vet in this story had such a hard time. 
I have a woman friend who has Tricare insurance due to her deceased Vet husband, and she is having serious trouble finding a surgeon who accepts Tricare.  She has three abdominal hernias and need surgery.  How can doctors refuse to take military Tricare insurance?  That is an abomination for Vets and their families.  What is the point of having insurance if docs won't take it?  We need a law and makes them take it.

For me it wasn't not knowing the systems.  It was incompetent doctors who didn't give a shit if you lived or died.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 10:21:47 pm »
Apparently,  the quality of service and care can vary widely among the various VA hospitals.  That was my late father's experience (US Navy, WWII).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org