Author Topic: Why the Democrats Just Lost the Senate  (Read 1027 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why the Democrats Just Lost the Senate
« on: May 10, 2018, 12:33:40 pm »
 Why the Democrats Just Lost the Senate

While Nancy Pelosi is shopping for speaker’s gavels, Chuck Schumer should be preparing for another term as minority leader.

By CHARLIE MAHTESIAN

May 10, 2018

For Democrats, the Don Blankenship dream is over. The coal-mining baron and ex-con was a pleasant diversion—the prospect of yet another train-wreck Republican candidate was exactly the kind of opponent that Sen. Joe Manchin needed in his dicey reelection campaign in West Virginia—but now it’s back to the reality of a merciless map that offers little hope for Chuck Schumer’s dream of becoming majority leader.

It may be the cruelest irony of the Trump era. During an election season when the House seems to be a lost cause for Republicans and nearly every indicator suggests massive Democratic gains in November, the outlook for wresting the Senate away from the GOP remains grim.

The long list of flipped state legislative seats since Donald Trump’s election (40 at last count), the supercharged Democratic turnout in recent special congressional elections, the avalanche of small-donor cash, the geyser of grass-roots energy — none of it changes a Senate landscape where Democrats are defending more seats, in more hostile places, than at any other time in memory.

more
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/05/10/can-the-democrats-win-the-2018-senate-midterms-218330
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Why the Democrats Just Lost the Senate
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 01:19:59 pm »
All Manchin's opponent has to do is take these photos to every campaign stop, and the people of West Virginia will do the rest.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 03:50:49 pm »
Last time I checked, May is six months away from November...plenty of time for the Pubbies to mess up.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 08:08:27 pm »
ABC & CBS Focus More on 3rd Place Loser Than GOP Primary Winners
By Kyle Drennen | May 9, 2018 2:23 PM EDT

Despite controversial West Virginia Senate candidate Don Blankenship only finishing a distance third place in Tuesday’s Republican primary, on Wednesday, ABC’s Good Morning America and CBS This Morning devoted much of their election coverage to his defeat while barely mentioning the GOP candidates who won primary contests in numerous states.

On GMA, a stunning 83% of a 2 minute 50 second report focused exclusively on Blankenship’s loss. “The GOP put forward their three strongest candidates for Senate in Ohio, Indiana, and West Virginia, where convicted coal baron Don Blankenship came up short after President Trump came out against his candidacy,” proclaimed co-host George Stephanopoulos at the start of the segment.  ...
Newsbusters
 *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 08:14:07 pm »
Last time I checked, May is six months away from November...plenty of time for the Pubbies to mess up.

Agreed. It's way to soon for any poll to predict accurately what's going to happen in November. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline corbe

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 08:38:28 pm »

In my spare time, when I'm not bashing some stupid crap Trump did, I follow Politics and though I considered the GOP losing the House as a foregone conclusion, of course I was gonna blame them and Trump for that but I'm not so sure now and if they keep the House I will give Trump major kudo's for not losing it.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 10:49:16 pm »
   In my spare time, when I'm not bashing some stupid crap Trump did, I follow Politics and though I considered the GOP losing the House as a foregone conclusion, of course I was gonna blame them and Trump for that but I'm not so sure now and if they keep the House I will give Trump major kudo's for not losing it.
Wow, your spare time is spent in a lot of negative things.

You might try a bit of laughing and enjoying life by using that spare time on more positive things.

Odds are you will feel healthier and live longer.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 11:07:49 pm »
This is fantastic news.  I won't need to vote in Nov. and I can now shut off my computer for 6 months.

Offline corbe

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 11:24:32 pm »
             Mitch will have the Best Senate $$$ can buy.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline bilo

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 11:54:11 pm »

You might be right. It sure isn't the Pub party that has done anything to keep the majority.

Also, other than blind hate the Rats haven't proposed anything other than higher taxes, open borders, giving the vote to 16 year olds & convicted felons. I have a hard time believing a majority of citizens support that.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 12:06:12 am »
.....and I can now shut off my computer for 6 months.

I'll vote for that.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 12:09:58 am »
I'll vote for that.
@Frank Cannon
You say that now, but you would miss me...
with every bullet.

Offline corbe

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 12:13:45 am »
    I want a Refund.

Lynyrd Skynyrd Gimme Back My Bullets

! No longer available