Author Topic: Malaysia election: Mahathir Mohamad leads opposition to unexpected victory, ending 60-year Malay par  (Read 520 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Malaysia's ruling party has been ousted for the first time in the country's 60-year history after an opposition alliance claimed victory in national elections.

Opposition leader Mahathir Mohamad said he expected to be sworn in as prime minister within a day after winning a historic majority in parliament.

The Election Commission said the opposition had so far won 112 seats and the ruling National Front coalition had 76.

The opposition is also sweeping state elections, including Johor state where the Malay party, which dominates the National Front, was founded.

Read more at: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/malaysia-election-results-latest-updates-mahathir-mohamad-najib-razak-malay-party-a8343811.html
The Republic is lost.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
This is good news, although Mahathir is super old.  We'll see if the coalition can hold.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
At first, one thinks this is good news, a 92 year old man returning to a leadership role but I also read this:

Malaysia’s new 92-year-old prime minister is proud anti-Semite
Contact Editor JTA, 10/05/18 22:14 Share

REUTERS

JTA - Mahathir Mohamad, an avowed anti-Semite, was sworn in as Malaysia’s prime minister, nearly two decades after he last held office.

Mohamad led his opposition Pakatan Harapan (Alliance of Hope) coalition to a surprise victory in national elections on Wednesday. On Thursday he took his oath of office before the king, Sultan Muhammad V.

Mohamad is known for his anti-Semitic rhetoric. He wrote on his personal blog in 2012 that “Jews rule this world by proxy,” The Associated Press reported.

Read more at: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/245790

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
@TomSea  Unfortunately, that's more common than not ;(.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
TomSea wrote:
"At first, one thinks this is good news, a 92 year old man returning to a leadership role but I also read this:"

C'mon, Tom, this is a muslim.
What do you expect?
Really... are you naive enough to expect otherwise?