Author Topic: McCain paved way for Trump presidency  (Read 1666 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
McCain paved way for Trump presidency
« on: May 09, 2018, 12:26:48 pm »
Excerpt:

McCain paved way for Trump presidency

In his 2008 race, Mr. “Reach Across the Aisle” moderate McCain was losing in the polls to untested Sen. Barack Obama. He never had a lead until early September — after he added Sarah Palin to the ticket and fired up the GOP base. It was Palin who kept McCain in the race (until the Great Recession knocked him out), and how does he thank her? What’s McCain’s message to the base she represents?

“I wish I’d picked Joe Lieberman instead.”

“McCain is the classic example of the Republican who talks hard right during campaigns but castigates those views immediately upon returning to the Beltway. This behavior has made him the bete noire of Arizona conservatives for decades,” said Jon Gabriel, longtime Arizona journalist and editor-in-chief of the conservative website Ricochet.com.

Read more at: http://www.bostonherald.com/opinion/op_ed/2018/05/mccain_paved_way_for_trump_presidency

Posted because the underlined is exactly what people said here, Palin was helping McCain a lot.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: McCain paved way for Trump presidency
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 12:31:12 pm »
John Shitbag McCain loves Obama and hates Trump. All you need to know about this lying, cheating fraud of a dirty bastard.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 12:53:24 pm »
John Shitbag McCain loves Obama and hates Trump. All you need to know about this lying, cheating fraud of a dirty bastard.

Amnesty McCain is the only GOP candidate for president that I could not bring myself to vote for
even with Palin as his VP. He is a warmongering open borders globalist.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 12:59:25 pm »
Amnesty McCain is the only GOP candidate for president that I could not bring myself to vote for
even with Palin as his VP. He is a warmongering open borders globalist.

People forget that Crazy Johnny supported every insane military action that came down the pike. If that azzhole was President the whole world would be on fire, literally.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 01:03:00 pm »
Excerpt:

Posted because the underlined is exactly what people said here, Palin was helping McCain a lot.

Perhaps, but not everywhere.  Not in Pennsy.  I recall having a long conversation with my wife's boss, trying to convince him - a lifelong Republican - to stick with McCain after the Palin pick.  He ended up voting for Obama.  His issue with Palin wasn't her conservatism, it was his impression that she was breathtakingly stupid and unqualified to assume the Presidency in the event McCain - an old man even at the time - were to die. 

People tend to forget at this late juncture the concern over McCain's advanced age and compromised health,  and how the Palin pick did nothing but exacerbate that concern.  The libs were brilliant in painting Palin as shallow and ditzy - it played into those fears and lost McCain, I believe, a lot of votes.

Hindsight is 20/20, but of course he should have picked Joe Lieberman.     
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 01:03:50 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 01:04:33 pm »
Lieberman would have been a vastly superior pick.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 01:08:33 pm »

Yeah. Liberal Rats are always a lot better than any GOPer running. Excellent point. A 100% rating from NARAL is awesome!

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 01:09:57 pm »
Yeah. Liberal Rats are always a lot better than any GOPer running. Excellent point. A 100% rating from NARAL is awesome!

Thanks for demonstrating your ignorance, once again.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 01:29:43 pm »
McCain would have lost no matter who he picked. He was essentially campaigning for Obama. I saw one of his rallies in Cincinnati and all he wanted to talk about was what a Great Man Obama is. In fact, I still think McCain voted for Obama the way he kept praising him. He also chastised the crowd for mentioning the name Hussein (which is Obama's chosen name btw) and said that nobody should ever say Hussein again ever. Because it is racist to say the man's name according to McCain.

At a McCain rally in support of McCain, he lost the crowd. People were leaving. That was months before the election and I knew at that point that he was going to lose. McCain was an obsequious butt-kisser to Obama the whole campaign. If he was not trying to lose, which is still in debate by many voters, then he certainly gave that impression. To me, McCain seemed to be campaigning for a position in Obama's cabinet rather than for President.

McCain had the whole 'White Guilt' thing going on. To him, defeating a young Black man would be racist somehow. He wanted to lose. McCain would have been perfectly happy to be Obama's VP. McCain was as excited as the Democrats to see the first Black President. Palin or any other VP had nothing to do with it.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 01:44:48 pm »
Thanks for demonstrating your ignorance, once again.

Oh silly me. I didn't know I needed to kneel down and unzip the fly of a Commie Pinko Lib like Sore Loserman because he said something moderate one time about 12 years ago.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 02:04:11 pm »
Palin fired up the base -- and turned off a lot of people who weren't in the base.  I personally thought she gave a great speech at the Convention, and then it turned into that long, downhill slide where her lack of...uh, grey matter was exposed.

McCain's biggest <Nope> was refusing to make the cause of the Great Recession into an issue.  He had a potentially winning issue because he'd sponsored a bill to reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac back in 2005, and Obama and the rest of the Dems exposed it.  Had he hammered that issue "I saw this coming and tried to stop it, and my opponent was on the wrong side", he may have had a chance.  But he openly said he didn't want to cast blame for the bank problems because it needed a "bipartisan solution", so he dropped that issue.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:17:42 am by Mod5 »

Offline Millee

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 02:28:36 pm »
Sarah brought likeability to the ticket, which McCain has zero. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 04:47:47 pm »
Palin fired up the base -- and turned off a lot of people who weren't in the base.  I personally thought she gave a great speech at the Convention, and then it turned into that long, downhill slide where her lack of...uh, grey matter was exposed.

That's a fair assessment.   She was not ready for prime time,  and McCain chose her to be a heartbeat away.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 04:54:39 pm »
That's a fair assessment.   She was not ready for prime time,  and McCain chose her to be a heartbeat away.

That's not exactly true. Nicole Wallace and Steve Schmidt admitted to sabotaging her during the campaign in that crap loser book they put out after that election.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 04:59:21 pm »
.... Had he hammered that issue "I saw this coming and tried to stop it, and my opponent was on the wrong side", he may have had a chance.  But he openly said he didn't want to cast blame for the bank problems because it needed a "bipartisan solution", so he dropped that issue.

Pretty amazing how simple and effective that sounds in retrospect, but how it escaped the GOP thinkers at the time.

McCain felt guilty he might be the white guy, that beat the black guy, so he gave a half-hearted effort, IMO.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 05:01:25 pm »
As usual, the press was against her, especially with those more conservative.  That is the way it is against all very conservative, Rick Santorum and so on.

Who cares what magazines one reads, seeing Russia from one's window (which yes, figuratively is true about Alaska, especially of a governor who will see all of Alaska) and so on.

I did feel bad when she stepped down as Alaskan governor, call it about bogus lawsuits taking away the state's money or whatever.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 05:30:13 pm »

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 01:54:42 am »
After McCain or his organization selected Palin they
immediately censored her speech.

A large error. Palin had gained the attention and
McCain should have allowed her more latitude
since she was altering the outcome.

McCain couldn't allow Palin a degree of free speech.
No McCain was to be president and he would rather
lose than give credit to his running mate,

A failure to delegate.

That is why he is Loser McCain. Among other things.

:)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:56:11 am by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 05:20:24 am »
After McCain or his organization selected Palin they
immediately censored her speech.

A large error. Palin had gained the attention and
McCain should have allowed her more latitude
since she was altering the outcome.

McCain couldn't allow Palin a degree of free speech.
No McCain was to be president and he would rather
lose than give credit to his running mate,

A failure to delegate.

That is why he is Loser McCain. Among other things.

I think McCain delegated poorly in that election.  His campaign manager haaaated Palin, and he shut her down.  Schmidt, I think it was.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 04:36:34 pm »
I think McCain delegated poorly in that election.  His campaign manager haaaated Palin, and he shut her down.  Schmidt, I think it was.

Well a campaign manager is as good as its outcome.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 04:37:10 pm by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 04:47:21 pm »

Well a campaign manager is as good as its outcome.

Fact is, McCain did not want to win.  Why else would he actually endorse his opponent a few weeks before the election?  I've never seen anybody do that before.

The best campaign manager and Veep selection in the world won't win an election for a candidate who does that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: