Author Topic: Rand Paul: ‘Past time’ to leave Afghanistan, spend instead on US infrastructure  (Read 577 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rand Paul: ‘Past time’ to leave Afghanistan, spend instead on US infrastructure
by Paul Bedard
 | May 09, 2018 02:43 PM

Stunned anew by reports that waste and corruption in Afghanistan has consumed up to 50 percent of U.S. taxpayer spending there, Sen. Rand Paul on Wednesday called for a full U.S. withdrawal and a funding shift to America's infrastructure.

In a hearing where the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction, John F. Sopko, listed wasteful projects and said the Taliban was taking over huge swaths of the nation, Paul said it is time to leave the war torn nation after 16 years.

“I have long been a critic of both our current lack of strategic mission in Afghanistan, and of the colossal waste of taxpayer dollars there. So recently, I sent a bipartisan fact-finding team, which included two of my senior staff to Afghanistan to see and observe first-hand,” said Paul of the team that included his Deputy Chief of Staff Sergio Gor and Gregory McNeill, majority staff director of Paul’s Federal Spending Oversight and Emergency Management Subcommittee for the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/rand-paul-past-time-to-leave-afghanistan-spend-instead-on-us-infrastructure
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Leave, but maintain a powerful capability to attack them fast and hard from air and sea.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Leave, but maintain a powerful capability to attack them fast and hard from air and sea.

I would support that.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
They've had plenty of time to train a domestic force.  This has been my feeling as to why we keep hanging around.

Rare Earth: Afghanistan Sits on $1 Trillion in Minerals

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/rare-earth-afghanistan-sits-1-trillion-minerals-n196861
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Hoodat

George W. Bush had it right.  Leave a minimal force in Afghanistan to prevent a group such as the Taliban from taking over the government and using Afghanistan as a base to attack the US.  This policy was a huge success compared to the Soviet policy of the late 70s.  It required minimal investment, and it achieve the desired result.

Unfortunately, Obama discarded this policy soon after taking office in 2009, resulting in a huge increase in financial cost and a threefold increase in casualties.  Obama spent more money in Afghanistan than Bush spent in Iraq.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Heck, Afghanistan is being beaten as we speak to talk about leaving some minimal force, I think that is there already.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
So, I think we may be in some of these places as we are in Korea, seemingly forever.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
I'll be interested to see what happens as the China people develop a strong presence in Pakistan.  Would they consider moving into Afghanistan, too? 
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.