Author Topic: Ted Cruz calls Trump effort to phase out International Space Station 'irresponsible'  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2018/05/08/cruz-calls-trump-effort-phase-international-space-station-irresponsible
WASHINGTON -- Without naming names, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz took aim at President Donald Trump’s efforts to end taxpayer support for the International Space Station on Tuesday.

Cruz, who chairs a subcommittee that oversees space policy, said it would be a mistake to halt funding for the space station, which has been in orbit since 1998. The 2019 budget submitted by the White House in February would cut off funding after 2025.

“I’m aware that there are some voices in this town that are pushing for phasing out the ISS in 2025,” Cruz said at George Washington University’s Humans to Mars Summit. “It would be irresponsible not to get the maximum return from that investment and to extend the life of it as long as scientifically feasible.”

more at link

! No longer available

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
What was the objectives?
http://www.thespacereview.com/article/391/1

That was 2010 I am wondering what we have learned in space and is it worth all that money?

Interested in what they are doing up there?

https://blogs.nasa.gov/ISS_Science_Blog/2017/04/

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 05:33:35 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Frank Cannon

What was the objectives?
http://www.thespacereview.com/article/391/1

That was 2010 I am wondering what we have learned in space and is it worth all that money?

We've learned nothing in comparison to the investment.

BTW if anyone was wondering why Teddy is upset about this, it will turn off the pork spigot to Houston.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
We've learned nothing in comparison to the investment.

BTW if anyone was wondering why Teddy is upset about this, it will turn off the pork spigot to Houston.

Well I am pretty sure that there is benefit but the question is will all of that space experimenting make a lasting improvement to our lives.  Good point on the pork you could be right!
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Well I am pretty sure that there is benefit but the question is will all of that space experimenting make a lasting improvement to our lives.  Good point on the pork you could be right!

IMO, the question is whether the US Constitution grants Congress the ability to fund such a thing.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
I believe that the research on effects of long-term living in space will probably pay for itself, once we begin to mine asteroids.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Online kevindavis007

I disagree with Ted on this. We should focus on beyond LEO. Been there done that.

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline endicom

If it's been up there since 1998 then it's been 20 years in orbit. 2025 would make that 27 years. Some newer approach seems prudent.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Russia's Plan To Build a Luxury Hotel on the ISS

And you can go...if you have $40 million.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/satellites/a14471796/luxury-hotel-iss/

Offline Just_Victor

It would be irresponsible to end ISS without moving forward with lessons learned on a new venture, perhaps an earth-moon or earth-mars transfer vehicle.  We now have 30 years of experience on construction work in space.  Simply dumping knowledge would be foolish.

But I expect Trump understands that.  Phasing out funding for ISS is the first step to freeing up funds for new projects.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I thought we were expanding into space via other ways under Trump, btw, this should probably be in that space area under science.

Online kevindavis007

It would be irresponsible to end ISS without moving forward with lessons learned on a new venture, perhaps an earth-moon or earth-mars transfer vehicle.  We now have 30 years of experience on construction work in space.  Simply dumping knowledge would be foolish.

But I expect Trump understands that.  Phasing out funding for ISS is the first step to freeing up funds for new projects.

That is the general plan.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Meldrew

We should remain involved with the ISS at least to the extent that we can insure that it doesn't come down on our heads.   :cool:

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Seems a shame to phase it out after all the money spent on it.   Is it useful?   Could it be transformed into something more permanent for future needs?

Considering we don't have a way of putting people on it without the Russians phasing it out might make sense too.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Russia's Plan To Build a Luxury Hotel on the ISS

And you can go...if you have $40 million.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/satellites/a14471796/luxury-hotel-iss/

Sad day when the place of the birth of communism comes up with better ways to make money from a white elephant  than we can.  And believe me ....there are enough dumb billionaires who will be glad to fork out  the $40M
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline corbe

***ALERT***  Ted's off the Trump Train  ***ALERT*** 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
   ***ALERT***  Ted's off the Trump Train  ***ALERT***

@corbe

And the hating started about 5 posts up.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
IMO, the question is whether the US Constitution grants Congress the ability to fund such a thing.

Space exploration is worthwhile and we should definitely do it.

But, maybe it could be put on the back burner for a few years till we can get more of the domestic issues straightened out.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Space exploration is worthwhile and we should definitely do it.

But, maybe it could be put on the back burner for a few years till we can get more of the domestic issues straightened out.

I'm glad to see private enterprise getting into this field.  But I'm not sure we want all rare mineral exploration, etc., outsourced.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.