Author Topic: First Lady Melania Trumps Initiative Launch  (Read 6101 times)

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: First Lady Melania Trumps Initiative Launch
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2018, 04:23:36 pm »
Thanks for the reply ... and sorry to hear this.  It sucks.

It's because of the hysteria about "The Opioid Problem."  I can't tell you how disappointed I am that the First Lady decided to tack this onto her otherwise good initiative.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2018, 04:32:51 pm »
It's because of the hysteria about "The Opioid Problem."  I can't tell you how disappointed I am that the First Lady decided to tack this onto her otherwise good initiative.

Honestly, I don't know what to believe at this point.  I'll read something that says there is no opioid crisis and then turn the page and read horror stories about how there is one.

I'm just sorry you're caught up in this.  Hopefully, doctors will unite and implore Congress to return their right to make medical decisions for their patients --- and Congress will listen.  Technical corrections come from Congress all the time, and this issue is ripe for one.

I wish you the best of luck in the meantime ..... sincerely.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2018, 04:42:48 pm »
Honestly, I don't know what to believe at this point.  I'll read something that says there is no opioid crisis and then turn the page and read horror stories about how there is one.

I'm just sorry you're caught up in this.  Hopefully, doctors will unite and implore Congress to return their right to make medical decisions for their patients --- and Congress will listen.  Technical corrections come from Congress all the time, and this issue is ripe for one.

I wish you the best of luck in the meantime ..... sincerely.

I thank you very much.  I'd also like to mention that my friend @Victoria33 is in the same boat, and she's beside herself about the new rules coming out.  I know you and her don't get along, but she deserves sympathy too.  We've been conversing on this subject for some time.

As of now, both she and my 90+ year old mother are going to have Medicare completely cut off their pain meds at the end of this year.  It's a virtual death sentence for them both.  That is no exaggeration.  Meanwhile Mrs. Liberty, while not on Medicare, is facing a total cutoff, that no amount of money from our pocket can fix.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2018, 04:53:10 pm »
I thank you very much.  I'd also like to mention that my friend @Victoria33 is in the same boat, and she's beside herself about the new rules coming out.  I know you and her don't get along, but she deserves sympathy too.  We've been conversing on this subject for some time.

Yes, I know @Victoria33 is struggling with this too.  I may not agree with her politically, but on other threads I've been supportive of and empathetic toward her challenges.

Thanks for the suggestion though, and keep the faith.  :beer:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2018, 04:54:24 pm »
Yes, I know @Victoria33 is struggling with this too.  I may not agree with her politically, but on other threads I've been supportive of and empathetic toward her challenges.

Thanks for the suggestion though, and keep the faith.  :beer:

:beer: :patriot:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2018, 05:22:22 pm »
@Cyber Liberty
@Right_in_Virginia

"Hopefully, doctors will unite and implore Congress to return their right to make medical decisions for their patients --- and Congress will listen."

Doctors already tried to stop this before it was law.  They were all over this, trying to stop it but were not successful.  It starts next Jan. 1.  I don't know what happens to me then, whether or not I can get the pills.  I can pay for them without insurance if insurance payment is cut off.  Some people could not pay for them, especially seniors.

I see my doctor two weeks from now to get hydrocodone again.  He gives me three prescriptions, one for each month for three months so I don't have to go back every month; he has to date each one.  He has to use a prescription pad given to him for rated drugs. He can't use one of his clinic's printed prescirption pads.  I hang onto the prescriptions and try to remember when the next one can be filled.  I've started putting the dates on a calendar I use so I don't forget to turn one in on the exact date one can be refilled.  Walgreens won't fill it before that date and won't fill it if it is given to them several days after the fill date.  I have to show them ID every time or can't get the pills.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2018, 05:33:07 pm »
@Victoria33 I don't know if the bureaucracy adopted that rule they were gung-ho for in March.  I ran Google searches and the most recent thing I can find is that NYT story we were looking at that said it wasn't adopted yet.

Maybe you can have better luck at the news search?  As of now, I have no idea if Medicare is still going to do that on Jan 1.

Added:  with Mrs. Liberty, Insurance wasn't the problem.  We're willing to pay for them 100% out of pocket, but the Doc is being barred from prescribing them.  Because Opioid Crisis.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:35:41 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2018, 05:43:23 pm »
@Victoria33 I don't know if the bureaucracy adopted that rule they were gung-ho for in March.  I ran Google searches and the most recent thing I can find is that NYT story we were looking at that said it wasn't adopted yet.
Maybe you can have better luck at the news search?  As of now, I have no idea if Medicare is still going to do that on Jan 1.
Added:  with Mrs. Liberty, Insurance wasn't the problem.  We're willing to pay for them 100% out of pocket, but the Doc is being barred from prescribing them.  Because Opioid Crisis.
@Cyber Liberty

In what state do you live?  I am in Texas.

"NYT story we were looking at that said it wasn't adopted yet."
It was adopted on that Tuesday.  Likely the NYT story meant it had not started.  It starts Jan. 1.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:45:53 pm by Victoria33 »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2018, 05:50:31 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

In what state do you live?  I am in Texas.

"NYT story we were looking at that said it wasn't adopted yet."
It was adopted on that Tuesday.  Likely the NYT story meant it had not started.  It starts Jan. 1.

I'm in AZ.  The story said the new rules, that would take effect Jan 1, were going to be adopted that Tuesday.  I cannot find a story, or something from a government website that confirms it was in fact adopted.

I consider that, "We're twisting in the wind."  I don't know if that's going to happen on 1/1 or not.
I will NOT comply.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2018, 06:06:56 pm »
@Cyber Liberty @Victoria33  One other thought I had, is that they are exempting hospice patients.  If they include palliative care in that (they often confuse them), I wonder if getting into a palliative care program might be an option.  I know there were rules about the patient being "dying" (but aren't we all?!) and the diagnosis had to be renewed every six months, which wasn't difficult.  But your all's doctors might be able to figure it out.

Also, Medicare recipients are still a large number of people and a powerful lobbying group.  I'll bet when everyone really starts complaining and AARP speaks up, the govt will cave.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2018, 06:09:28 pm »
I'm in AZ.  The story said the new rules, that would take effect Jan 1, were going to be adopted that Tuesday.  I cannot find a story, or something from a government website that confirms it was in fact adopted.
I consider that, "We're twisting in the wind."  I don't know if that's going to happen on 1/1 or not.
@Cyber Liberty

HERE IT IS:

"CMS has finalized its rule for 2019 rates for Medicare Advantage and Medicare Part D, giving insurers a bigger-than-expected rate increase while finalizing proposals on expanded supplemental benefits and efforts aimed at fighting opioid addiction.
Here are five major pieces of the finalized regulation:
1. Drug pricing, opioid provisions finalized

CMS touted the rule as “saving Medicare beneficiaries on prescription drugs” with many of its provisions. Among them is allowing generic drugs to be added to formularies during any point of the year, rather than Part D plans having to wait until the next plan year to take advantage of lower-cost pharmaceutical options.

“The steps we are taking will drive more competition among plans and pharmacies to meet the needs of seniors and lower costs,” CMS Administrator Seema Verma, MPH, told reporters on an April 2 conference call.

Opioid restrictions are also a major feature of the final rule. CMS finalized several policies targeted at preventing and combating the abuse or overuse of prescription opioids, including “expecting” all Part D sponsors to limit initial opioid prescriptions for treatment of acute pain to seven days or less. For so-called “high risk” opioid users, the rule says the existing CMS Overutilization Monitoring System (OMS) will be integrated into drug management programs so prescribers and pharmacies can limit these beneficiaries’ access to frequently abused drugs.

Certain patients will be exempt from these requirements, such as those being treated for cancer-related pain, receiving end-of-life care or are in hospice or long-term care facilities.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2018, 06:10:30 pm »
When offering to commit a felony, it may be best to use Private Messages.

LOL

You're no fun.

I was watching to see how all this played out!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 06:48:57 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2018, 06:13:14 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

HERE IT IS:

"CMS has finalized its rule for 2019 rates for Medicare Advantage and Medicare Part D, giving insurers a bigger-than-expected rate increase while finalizing proposals on expanded supplemental benefits and efforts aimed at fighting opioid addiction.
Here are five major pieces of the finalized regulation:
1. Drug pricing, opioid provisions finalized

CMS touted the rule as “saving Medicare beneficiaries on prescription drugs” with many of its provisions. Among them is allowing generic drugs to be added to formularies during any point of the year, rather than Part D plans having to wait until the next plan year to take advantage of lower-cost pharmaceutical options.

“The steps we are taking will drive more competition among plans and pharmacies to meet the needs of seniors and lower costs,” CMS Administrator Seema Verma, MPH, told reporters on an April 2 conference call.

Opioid restrictions are also a major feature of the final rule. CMS finalized several policies targeted at preventing and combating the abuse or overuse of prescription opioids, including “expecting” all Part D sponsors to limit initial opioid prescriptions for treatment of acute pain to seven days or less. For so-called “high risk” opioid users, the rule says the existing CMS Overutilization Monitoring System (OMS) will be integrated into drug management programs so prescribers and pharmacies can limit these beneficiaries’ access to frequently abused drugs.

Certain patients will be exempt from these requirements, such as those being treated for cancer-related pain, receiving end-of-life care or are in hospice or long-term care facilities.

That to me looks like it's only for people seeking pain pills who previously were not on opioid pain meds.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2018, 06:14:17 pm »
@GrouchoTex  I know, I'm an idiot ;(.  I just have been through this a couple of times and know how awful it is.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2018, 06:21:41 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

HERE IT IS:

They softened their stance.  They were going to Zero Coverage, this is more in line with the CDC recommendations.  We should ask our Docs how this will affect them.  It could be anything from no change to us, to no coverage at all.  If the State keeps doing what they did to Mrs. Liberty, we have a fight on our hands, and it will be with our States, not the Feds.  Don't know if that's good news or not.

Mrs. Liberty is exploring alternative treatments, Mom is over 90 so she'll probably get one of the end-of-life options.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2018, 06:27:46 pm »

@RoosGirl

Keep reading - words mean things - the below limits pills to those who are already taking them.  They call us "high risk" since we are already taking them.  "so prescribers and pharmacies can limit these beneficiaries access to frequently abused drugs."

The only people exempt from having their drug stopped are cancer patients and end-of-life/hospice/long term care.

"For so-called “high risk” opioid users, the rule says the existing CMS Overutilization Monitoring System (OMS) will be integrated into drug management programs so prescribers and pharmacies can limit these beneficiaries’ access to frequently abused drugs."

"Certain patients will be exempt from these requirements, such as those being treated for cancer-related pain, receiving end-of-life care or are in hospice or long-term care facilities."

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2018, 06:31:07 pm »

@RoosGirl

Keep reading - words mean things - the below limits pills to those who are already taking them.  They call us "high risk" since we are already taking them.  "so prescribers and pharmacies can limit these beneficiaries access to frequently abused drugs."

The only people exempt from having their drug stopped are cancer patients and end-of-life/hospice/long term care.

"For so-called “high risk” opioid users, the rule says the existing CMS Overutilization Monitoring System (OMS) will be integrated into drug management programs so prescribers and pharmacies can limit these beneficiaries’ access to frequently abused drugs."

"Certain patients will be exempt from these requirements, such as those being treated for cancer-related pain, receiving end-of-life care or are in hospice or long-term care facilities."

Indeed, words do mean things.  The use of the word "can" means just that, not that they "will" or they "shall".  Sounds to me like it's at their discretion. 

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2018, 06:31:31 pm »
@Cyber Liberty  One thought about your mom -- I hope she's well and will remain so for a long time.  But beginning the process of registering for palliative care can be very helpful, if her doctor understands how it works.  My sister's Medicare supplement covered a lot of home nursing, PT, and other services once she had the designation, and they were a Godsend to us in many ways.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2018, 06:34:25 pm »
They softened their stance.
@Cyber Liberty

No, they didn't.  They won't let you have the pills, so your insurance doesn't have to pay for them if you can't get them.
They have basically cut off the pills to only a few or to none if they consider you high-risk, meaning you are already taking some.  They will call me high-risk since I take them daily.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2018, 06:37:19 pm »
Indeed, words do mean things.  The use of the word "can" means just that, not that they "will" or they "shall".  Sounds to me like it's at their discretion.
@RoosGirl

CVS drugstore has already put their own limit on how  many you can get, regardless of the doctor's prescription.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2018, 06:38:52 pm »
@RoosGirl

CVS drugstore has already put their own limit on how  many you can get, regardless of the doctor's prescription.

Okay, but that's CVS policy because they "can".  Hopefully you're in an area that has some competition in the market.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2018, 06:40:57 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

No, they didn't.  They won't let you have the pills, so your insurance doesn't have to pay for them if you can't get them.
They have basically cut off the pills to only a few or to none if they consider you high-risk, meaning you are already taking some.  They will call me high-risk since I take them daily.

As I mentioned, it's varying from state to state.  I don't think Medicare is going to be the hitch in the git-along anyway, I think we're in far more trouble because of the State Licensing Boards.
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2018, 06:42:54 pm »
Okay, but that's CVS policy because they "can".  Hopefully you're in an area that has some competition in the market.

We had CVS pull that crap.  Stuff wasn't "in stock."  So we went either to Walmart or Walgreens (right across the street from CVS).  We usually do CVS because that's where our Insurance is, but they cover it for that type of medication anywhere that has it.
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2018, 06:43:30 pm »
As I mentioned, it's varying from state to state.  I don't think Medicare is going to be the hitch in the git-along anyway, I think we're in far more trouble because of the State Licensing Boards.

Have you given other doctors a try?  I wouldn't take just one doc's word for it.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2018, 06:44:25 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

What you say is true.  Private Insurance uses Medicare guidelines, so if Medicare refuses to pay for a drug, so do the privates.
I will NOT comply.