Author Topic: Yellowstone and 9 Other Active Volcanoes That Could Erupt at Any Minute  (Read 655 times)

rangerrebew

Yellowstone and 9 Other Active Volcanoes That Could Erupt at Any Minute

Lauren Hamer 

May 03, 2018

President Trump’s proposed 2018 budget cuts suggest a 15% funding reduction for the U.S. Geological Survey, something many believe would place volcanic studies on the back burner. Actually, less than half of the 169 hazardous volcanoes in the U.S. are being monitored as it stands today. So, it begs the question: If an active volcano was at risk of explosion, would America even know about it?

Volcanoes don’t erupt spur of the moment — at least historically they don’t. Explosions are usually prefaced by earthquakes or heightened magma pressures in the volcanic chambers. But should one of the active volcanoes blow, millions of Americans, and countless others around the world, would be in danger without much warning.

Which volcanoes are next in line for eruption? We break down 10 currently active volcanoes and the areas most at risk. Is your city on the list?

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/10-active-volcanoes-erupt-minute-us-city-risk.html/?ref=YF&yptr=yahoo

Offline Joe Wooten

OMGGGGGGG OMGGGGGGG OMGGGGGGG

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
If Yellowstone goes, it's game over kids. Last time it blew it shot flowing magma all the way to the Texas coast and into the ocean and dropped ash to the Mississippi river.

Maybe 100K people left on earth this time after the dust settles. Not something I'm going to lose sleep over.
The Republic is lost.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Since this is geologic time, substitute 'century' instead of 'minute' to be more realistic.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline skeeter

If Yellowstone goes, it's game over kids. Last time it blew it shot flowing magma all the way to the Texas coast and into the ocean and dropped ash to the Mississippi river.

Maybe 100K people left on earth this time after the dust settles. Not something I'm going to lose sleep over.

On the bright side I'll finally get to tuck into my Y2K stash.