Author Topic: Ted Cruz’s Four Ways to Work Around a Filibuster  (Read 689 times)

Offline endicom

National Review
Jim Geraghrty
May 6, 2018

Dallas — Shortly after his speech to the NRA’s annual meeting Friday, Texas senator Ted Cruz took a few moments to speak to National Review about what Republicans can get done in the remainder of the year, and the options they have for working around the filibuster efforts of Senate Democrats.

NRO: It’s been 15 or 16 months of a Republican president, a Republican Senate, and a Republican House. Republicans hadn’t had that in a very long time. Have you guys gotten your money’s worth out of that time? Has the time been used wisely?

Senator Ted Cruz: I am very gratified with what we’ve been able to deliver. [At the] beginning of last year, I laid out four big priorities for the Republican majority and the new administration: tax reform, regulatory reform, Obamacare, and judges. If we could deliver on those, it would have a profound effect; if we couldn’t, it would be an enormous missed opportunity.

Looking back on the past year and a half, it’s remarkable just how much we’ve delivered.

More... https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/05/ted-cruz-republican-congress-work-around-democratic-filibusters/

Offline endicom

Re: Ted Cruz’s Four Ways to Work Around a Filibuster
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 12:07:25 pm »

Have we been too glum? Ted seems more optimistic than just about anyone here.

Online corbe

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 07:28:12 pm »
   My thinking also (who's surprised).

NRO: You mentioned 50 votes a lot of times. The president has made it clear he’s fed up with the filibuster for legislation. Are you?

Cruz: I agree with the president we should end the filibuster. I didn’t used to think that. A few years ago, I opposed that. What’s changed is two things. Number one, the level of Democratic obstruction we’re seeing is simply unprecedented: They are filibustering everything — virtually every nominee, virtually every substantive piece of legislation. Number two, I no longer believe the Democrats will be bound by the filibuster: I think that if and when the Democrats take the majority, they will take away the filibuster in a heartbeat. It doesn’t make any sense for it to be a one-way constraint.

That being said, we don’t have the votes right now to end the filibuster within the Republican conference. We may have about half the Republicans who would support it, but there is a significant number that wouldn’t. So what I’m suggesting is, for the next six months, let’s focus on procedural vehicles that can’t be filibustered.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 07:39:33 pm »
Sen. Cruz comes around, to Pres. Trump's way of thinking on how to get actual results in the Here and Now of political Realty Land.

(Not to be confused with political Delusion Land, in internet political forums)

Great for Ted !! Sen. Cruz is NOT disrespecting or dismissing Trump's supporters.

He knows which side HIS ballot is buttered on !!

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 08:20:20 pm »
   My thinking also (who's surprised).

I hope he's right. If he is then Obamacare and illegal immigration may be dealt with over the next couple of years.

And it has to be from Congress to have any permanence.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 08:31:42 pm »
Have we been too glum? Ted seems more optimistic than just about anyone here.

When you have a job where results don't matter, you would be upbeat too.