Author Topic: How I tracked down the Frenchman who helped translate the King James Bible (and who didn't speak En  (Read 359 times)

rangerrebew

How I tracked down the Frenchman who helped translate the King James Bible (and who didn't speak English)
May 1, 2018
by Nicholas Hardy, The Conversation

The King James Bible, often referred to as the "authorised version", is one of the most widely read and influential books in history. Published for the first time in 1611 at the behest of King James I of England, the translation was the work of more than 40 scholars, who started from the original Hebrew and Greek texts of the Bible.

Because of the Bible's fame, people might be surprised to hear that it is still possible to find previously unknown and unidentified sources that shed light on how it came together. In fact, the process of translation remains mysterious – and there is plenty of work left to be done on how this was done. This reflects the wider possibilities of research into pre-modern literature and history – and there is still a huge amount to find out through archival research.

https://m.phys.org/news/2018-05-tracked-frenchman-king-james-bible.html