Author Topic: Why the Justice Department Is Defiant  (Read 860 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Why the Justice Department Is Defiant
« on: May 04, 2018, 03:04:54 am »
The feud that has simmered for months between Congress and the Justice Department erupted this week into a cage match. That’s because the House is homing in on the goods.

Until this week, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and fellow institutionalists at the department had fought Congress’s demands for information with the tools of banal bureaucracy—resist, delay, ignore, negotiate. But Mr. Rosenstein took things to a new level on Tuesday, accusing House Republicans of “threats,” extortion and wanting to “rummage” through department documents. A Wednesday New York Times story then dropped a new slur, claiming “Mr. Rosenstein and top FBI officials have come to suspect that some lawmakers were using their oversight authority to gain intelligence about [Special Counsel Bob Mueller’s ] investigation so that it could be shared with the White House.”

Mr. Rosenstein isn’t worried about rummaging. That’s a diversion from the department’s opposite concern: that it is being asked to comply with very specific—potentially very revealing—demands. Two House sources confirm for me that the Justice Department was recently delivered first a classified House Intelligence Committee letter and then a subpoena (which arrived Monday) demanding documents related to a new line of inquiry about the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Trump investigation. The deadline for complying with the subpoena was Thursday afternoon, and the Justice Department flouted it. As the White House is undoubtedly monitoring any new congressional demands for information, it is likely that President Trump’s tweet Wednesday ripping the department for not turning over documents was in part a reference to this latest demand.

Read more at: https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-justice-department-is-defiant-1525388245
The Republic is lost.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Why the Justice Department Is Defiant
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 03:42:56 am »
I guess I'll have to wait until somebody posts this outside WSJ's paywall.  It looks very interesting.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 03:52:40 am »
It appears the DOJ-FBI want to assert their primacy, over the other two branches.

The sooner the USSC smacks them back into line, the better.

A permanent fishing expedition, sans probable cause, sans even a stated specific crime, is not what our founders ever intended.

I feel this is a twofold situation: 1. Payback for Clinton's Impeachment, and 2. disable Trump.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 04:46:55 am »
It appears the DOJ-FBI want to assert their primacy, over the other two branches.

The sooner the USSC smacks them back into line, the better.

A permanent fishing expedition, sans probable cause, sans even a stated specific crime, is not what our founders ever intended.

I feel this is a twofold situation: 1. Payback for Clinton's Impeachment, and 2. disable Trump.
@truth_seeker
The DOJ and FBI are executive branch departments.  I understand they are refusing to provide document to the legislative branch, but I don't see how the "DOJ-FBI want to assert their primacy, over the" judicial branch.   I think the SCOTUS usually lets Congress proceed with contempt hearings in these disagreements between branches.  I wouldn't expect rapid movement. 

An investigation often doesn't have a stated specific crime.  That comes after evidence is collected and charges are issued.  I think there is lots of probable cause, and our Founders never intended President Trump.

If there was such a thing as the Deep State, packback for Clinton's impeachment is not a factor.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 06:11:51 am »
@truth_seeker
The DOJ and FBI are executive branch departments.  I understand they are refusing to provide document to the legislative branch, but I don't see how the "DOJ-FBI want to assert their primacy, over the" judicial branch.   I think the SCOTUS usually lets Congress proceed with contempt hearings in these disagreements between branches.  I wouldn't expect rapid movement. 

An investigation often doesn't have a stated specific crime.  That comes after evidence is collected and charges are issued.  I think there is lots of probable cause, and our Founders never intended President Trump.

If there was such a thing as the Deep State, packback for Clinton's impeachment is not a factor.

Its unconscionable to investigate a person rather than a crime. Its, quite literally, a fishing expedition with the ability to generate crimes rather than expose them. Its indefensible.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Online libertybele

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 12:44:24 pm »
The DOJ is defiant because its leadership is involved in the corruption that they are investigating.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 03:26:04 pm »
A Full investigation of the mechanisms and support staff behind this lynching would implicate more underlings to be questioned/deposed themselves.

Rearranging the deck hairs on the Titanic as those underlings scramble for a seat in the lifeboats.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 05:57:50 pm »
The DOJ is defiant because its leadership is involved in the corruption that they are investigating.

Yep!  They have been in full cover-up mode since Trump won the election.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien