Author Topic: Texas and 6 other states sue to end DACA  (Read 1201 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas and 6 other states sue to end DACA
« on: May 01, 2018, 10:13:37 pm »
By Emma Platoff The Texas Tribune May 01, 2018

Following through on a months-old promise, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton filed a lawsuit Tuesday to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, leading a seven-state coalition against an Obama-era immigration measure that protects hundreds of thousands of immigrants nationwide from deportation, including more than 120,000 in Texas.

Paxton first threatened in June 2017 to sue over the program if President Donald Trump’s administration had not ended it by September. After federal court rulings blocked the Trump administration's efforts to end the program, Paxton wrote in January that he would consider filing suit if DACA still stood in June.

But a recent ruling in favor of DACA seems to have shifted up Paxton’s timeline. The announcement comes exactly a week after a federal judge in Washington, D.C. ordered the Trump administration to continue the program and reopen it to new applicants.

More: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article210240734.html

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Texas and 6 other states sue to end DACA
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 10:14:54 pm »
The other states involved are Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, South Carolina and West Virginia.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 11:10:29 pm »
Good.  Let's get this thing over and done with.

rangerrebew

Texas leads the charge suing to end DACA
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 12:19:15 pm »
Texas leads the charge suing to end DACA

May. 03, 2018 - 4:00 - Justice Department sends more legal help to the southern border. Texas Attorney General Paxton speaks out.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5779870101001/?#sp=show-clips
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 12:19:53 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Texas leads the charge suing to end DACA
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 05:51:39 pm »
They've got to overturn DACA.  Things that are not be legal happens in this country everyday.  Good luck.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Texas leads the charge suing to end DACA
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 02:02:42 am »
Common thread: Texas and 6 other states sue to end DACA

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,314399.msg1672303.html#msg1672303

Offline MOD3

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 02:33:22 am »
Topics merged.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Texas files suit to end Obama’s unconstitutional DACA program
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 04:38:27 am »

Texas files suit to end Obama’s unconstitutional DACA program

Wednesday, May 02, 2018 by JD Heyes

One of the campaign issues that likely contributed the most to President Donald J. Trump’s election victory in 2016 was his pledge to fully enforce all immigration laws and to end a program enacted by his predecessor without authority and without congressional approval.

The Deferred Action on Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, came into being via an executive order signed by President Barack Obama after he repeatedly claimed during his 2012 reelection bid that he didn’t have the authority, as president, to change immigration statutes.

True to form, Obama wasn’t being honest. So in 2014 he waved his magic presidential pen and granted amnesty to millions of people brought illegally into the United States.

Also true to form, Trump signed an order ending the program in the fall of last year, giving Congress six months to come up with a legislative fix. Congress failed, largely because Democrats who always say they are ‘for immigrants’ refused to cooperate with Republicans.

Not to be deterred by the rule of law, Left-wing groups then took to courts to stop the president from undoing what a previous president never had the authority to do in the first place.

Fed up, Texas has had enough of the games.

On Tuesday the Lone Start State led a coalition of other states in a lawsuit that directly challenges the legality of DACA, “opening up a new legal front in the increasingly messy battle over illegal immigration,” The Washington Times reports.

http://www.conservative.news/2018-05-02-texas-files-suit-to-end-obamas-unconstitutional-daca-program.html
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Thank you TX!  How many other states are going to have the backbone to follow and do the same?
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Thank you TX!  How many other states are going to have the backbone to follow and do the same?

Texas is actually leading a coalition of states:

Texas is joined in its suit by Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Nebraska, South Carolina, and West Virginia. They argue that unlike federal courts that have blocked Trump from ending the program because he ‘cut too many legal corners’ in doing so, the original Obama executive order actually did that.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Texas files suit to end Obama’s unconstitutional DACA program
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 05:57:40 pm »
Although I applaud Texas adopting this stance, what I do not like is to throw decisions into the courts.

The federal govt has every right, and in fact an OBLIGATION to adhere to federal laws and do away with an obvious illegal Executive Order.

This should just be done by EO reversal, and ignore any court that says otherwise.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline MOD3

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 06:50:32 pm »
Topics merged.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 10:24:13 pm »
Although I applaud Texas adopting this stance, what I do not like is to throw decisions into the courts.

The federal govt has every right, and in fact an OBLIGATION to adhere to federal laws and do away with an obvious illegal Executive Order.

This should just be done by EO reversal, and ignore any court that says otherwise.

But if the Federal Government won't act...which seems to be the issue right now...why shouldn't the states take action like they are doing in this instance?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 10:28:06 pm »
But if the Federal Government won't act...which seems to be the issue right now...why shouldn't the states take action like they are doing in this instance?
If it is the only course of action, then of course they need to take it up.

My point is it should not be necessary and I believe destructive to continue throwing matters like this before judges.  It makes judicial appear to be the ultimate authority when it was never envisioned that way be the Constitution's writers.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 12:58:56 am »
Push this upward towards the Supreme Court.

But don't be pushin' too fast... looks like the rumors of Anthony Kennedy's retirement are a-risin' again.

If so, hopefully Mr. Trump will make a good pick for his replacement.
Get him "pushed through" for a fall seating.
THEN get the daca argument into the Court...