Author Topic: The U.K. Now Has a Minister of Loneliness. Does the U.S. Need One?  (Read 923 times)

rangerrebew

The U.K. Now Has a Minister of Loneliness. Does the U.S. Need One?
Loneliness is more than sad – it is a threat to mental and physical health.

By David Levine, Contributor |April 27, 2018, at 4:13 p.m.

Health experts have lately been focusing on an epidemic that may be a bigger threat to public health than obesity or smoking. You may be surprised to learn the cause of this epidemic: loneliness.

Research has confirmed this. A recent study from Brigham Young University finds that loneliness and social isolation may raise the risk of premature death by up to 50 percent. The study, published in Perspectives on Psychological Science, suggests that the health effects of prolonged isolation are equivalent to smoking 15 cigarettes a day. Loneliness has also been linked to a greater risk of heart disease, dementia, depression and anxiety. Seniors are particularly vulnerable to loneliness. Another study, in the Journal of Aging and Health, finds that isolated seniors have higher Medicare spending from increased hospitalization and institutionalization, and they face greater mortality.

https://health.usnews.com/health-care/patient-advice/articles/2018-04-27/the-uk-now-has-a-minister-of-loneliness-does-the-us-need-one
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 12:46:01 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: The U.K. Now Has a Minister of Loneliness. Does the U.S. Need One?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 12:48:43 pm »
Yes!  Then we should have a minister of bunions, mosquito bites, fallen arches, and sneezes.  The more government, the merrier. :3:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 12:56:05 pm »
We had a thread about this several months ago.

I'd love to volunteer for this. I know so many lonely people sometimes I feel like I'm living the Eleanor Rigby song.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 01:29:11 pm »
@mystery-ak
@txradioguy
@INVAR
@Freya

I read that.  I saw this after my husband died and I retired. I went to live at our lake house.  It was a closed community with a guard gate.  We had a restaurant in there and people, most of them retired, would go there to eat and communicate with others.  I heard over and over people say what they "used to be".  They were doing nothing now, just stuck in what they "used to be".  I remember thinking I'm not doing that, I will not be a "used to be". 

We didn't have a hospital in the nearby town and only one elderly doctor had an office there. We had a volunteer ambulance service and they would come get you IF they had someone to drive the ambulance at the time.  I was in my late 50s, early 60s then, so I took an EMT course, I was the oldest in the class but made the highest score on the Texas test, and provided emergency medical care to those in there until the ambulance could get there, or if it didn't get there, the person was taken by car to the nearest town where there was a hospital.

I was also the person in charge of the guard gate/house and found sometime the ambulance couldn't find the house of the sick/hurt patient.  So, I developed maps of every house in there.  Then, I bought a radio that received the 911 calls and put that at the guard gate.  When the guard heard the call, they circled the house of the sick/hurt person and handed it to the ambulance driver when they went through the gate.  They would find me already at the person's house with their vital signs taken and written on a form along with their insurance info. written on there and what the medical emergency was.  They could load the person immediately with that information given to them.

Seeing those retired people give up the way they did, was not me.  Some of you have trouble with my being older, well, I'm not going to sit in a chair and knit for the rest of my life and say what I "used to be".  I teach a Bible class, will teach it today, and yes, I am writing books.

This is from the article:

"Connection also comes from giving back and helping others, even through small gestures like helping a neighbor, opening a door for someone or smiling to a stranger. 'Even if you are lonely, it is important to remember you still have a lot to contribute,' she says. 'Research shows that when we help others, we get mood boost. We feel more valued and valuable –because we are.'"

If you are retired, getting older, it doesn't mean you are worthless now so sit there until you die or kill yourself.  It means look around and find something worthwhile to do for others.  John, the Apostle, the "beloved Apostle", had only one sermon in his later years as he was physically carried to churches, "My little children (meaning all of us), love one another." That was his whole sermon.  Someone asked him, "Master, why do you always say only this?"  He said, "It is the commandment of the Lord, and if this only be done, it is all-sufficient."

All on this board could benefit by following John's sermon, "Love one another."
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 01:32:10 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 01:32:45 pm »
@Victoria33

You are such an inspiration to me. I'm following in your footsteps. I start a MA in Counseling after Labor Day.

(I got into the hardest but best academic program in the state)

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 01:38:44 pm »
@Victoria33  @Freya  I couldn't have said it better than you two. You are great examples to follow.

Sometimes to avoid being lonely, one must force oneself to get out and about, to meet new people in new settings, seek out a club or church to join. It's not easy. My brother is severely lonely, and he "treats" it with huge quantities of alcohol. When I moved to a new city and was all on my own many years ago, I joined a church choir.

But, no, we don't need a governmental solution.  *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 01:40:01 pm »
@Victoria33 You are such an inspiration to me. I'm following in your footsteps. I start a MA in Counseling after Labor Day. (I got into the hardest but best academic program in the state)
@Freya

You are smart and I am exceedingly proud of you.  You love people and will make a great counselor.  I know you are thinking of helping the elderly with your counseling, so you are following John's sermon in his elderly years, "Love one another."  God loves you and you love others and that is apparent in your posts on this forum.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 01:53:26 pm »
Maybe if the UK stopped killing babies that would be a good start.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 01:58:53 pm »
@Victoria33  @Freya  I couldn't have said it better than you two. You are great examples to follow.

Sometimes to avoid being lonely, one must force oneself to get out and about, to meet new people in new settings, seek out a club or church to join. It's not easy. My brother is severely lonely, and he "treats" it with huge quantities of alcohol. When I moved to a new city and was all on my own many years ago, I joined a church choir.

But, no, we don't need a governmental solution.  *****rollingeyes*****

Free chocolate,, ice cream and puppies and kittens for all. I'd get those manufacturers to give senior discounts so it would not be expensive to have and care for an animal.

Just kidding about the chocolate and ice cream. Yummy, but full of bad calories.

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 02:47:56 pm »
Must be the ministry right next door to the minister of silly walks.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 02:56:11 pm »

Or this office:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org