Author Topic: High blood pressure drugs impact depression, bipolar disorder  (Read 529 times)

rangerrebew

High blood pressure drugs impact depression, bipolar disorder

By Hannah Nichols   

High blood pressure drugs may affect not only blood pressure but also mood disorders including depression and bipolar disorder, finds a new study published in the American Heart Association's journal Hypertension.

Physicians should consider whether treatment of high blood pressure is having a negative impact on their patients' mental health, say researchers.

The Institute of Cardiovascular and Medical Sciences and Institute of Health and Wellbeing at the University of Glasgow in the United Kingdom conducted the research.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/313380.php

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: High blood pressure drugs impact depression, bipolar disorder
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 12:58:49 pm »
 Showing this to my doctor

Ping @Victoria33 as a FYI for her records  888heartkitty
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Victoria33

Re: High blood pressure drugs impact depression, bipolar disorder
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 03:15:27 pm »
@Freya

First, FOUR antihypertensive drug classes of pills were given.  The research shows ONE of these type pills was beneficial to those with depression (I question that as you will read below about how depression starts).  So, that leaves three pills that maybe were not helpful, so, how bad are they in connection with “causing” depression they didn’t have before?

“While there is growing evidence that the pathways that high blood pressure drugs target may play a role in the development of mood disorders - suggesting implications in prescribing these drugs in hypertensive patients who may have an underlying mood disorder - results of the link between the two have been inconclusive.”   That is a maybe these three pills can play a part in developing a mood disorder, or maybe not if the person already had the mood disorder but not diagnosed at the time.

I take three blood pressure pills if the “diuretic” one is included which it was in this study.  I have a choice of a 170+ top blood pressure number (can you say stroke) or a 120-130 top number – the choice between living or likely dying with a stroke or becoming a vegetable.  I take the pills.

Consider how depression starts:
Depression:  A person “chooses” to depress him/herself, or not.  No one can punch the buttons in the brain except the person.  No matter what happens to the person, it is the person who chooses to be depressed.  No one can make you depressed; only you can do that.  I used to tell my depressed patients they control their brain so they control their depression and can set a time to be depressed.  “Do you want to depress yourself for another day, or another week, or another month, or a year?  It is up to you.”  Once the person realized he/she was in control of his/her brain buttons, he/she did set a time to get better but once he/she set a time, he/she got better right then because he/she could right then decide not to depress him/herself.  Anti-depression so called pills cannot stop depression - they just mask the depression; only the person can stop it since the person started it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 03:16:39 pm by Victoria33 »