Author Topic: The US Weather Agency Has Been Without Permanent Leadership For More Than 460 Days  (Read 927 times)

rangerrebew

The US Weather Agency Has Been Without Permanent Leadership For More Than 460 Days

Tim Pearce
Energy Reporter
2:19 PM 04/26/2018

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is more than 460 days without a leader confirmed by Congress, a record for the agency, The Washington Post reports.

NOAA is responsible for monitoring weather and climate and protecting the United States’ coastline. President Donald Trump nominated AccuWeather CEO Barry Myers on Oct. 16 to lead the agency, but Myers’ confirmation has stalled in the Senate.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/04/26/noaa-record-time-without-leader/

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Yet, we continue to have weather.  Weird.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher

And decent forecasting from the NWS.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
If they don't notice when your gone you couldn't be that important.  Eliminate the position.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee

Yeah right. Don't tell me you believe in weather. Open your mind.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline darroll

<chuckle>

Offline GrouchoTex

Ain't it the darnedest thing!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 06:25:45 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
And decent forecasting from the NWS.

That place is Not Work Safe.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
NOAA is responsible for monitoring weather and climate and protecting the United States’ coastline.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I could've sworn that guarding the coastline was the job of, um, the Coast Guard?
President Donald Trump nominated AccuWeather CEO Barry Myers on Oct. 16 to lead the agency, but Myers’ confirmation hasstalled in the Senate.
As well they should. Myers is totally the wrong man for that position. He's a lawyer who got his job because his brother Joel was a meteorologist. Besides, AccuWeather has an extremely poor reputation in the meteorology field. They claim minute-by-minute accuracy when most observations are only available on the scale of one hour. They claim to be able to forecast day-by-day clear out to three months, when even with the improved technology and models available, you'd still be quite lucky to get a usable forecast out three weeks. The only thing Barry Myers is good at is polishing a turd and selling it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
We actually have a U.S. weather agency?  Here I just thought some people listened to 'whacky weather forecasters' who get paid a ridiculous amount of money to tell them that it's going to rain or it's sunny out.   :whistle:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Wait ... this kind of thing happens when we don't have a U.S. Weather Agency:

"
APR 28, 2018

HONOLULU (AP) — The National Weather Service says preliminary data indicates the Hawaiian island of Kauai broke a national 24-hour rainfall record during recent flash flooding.

The agency’s Honolulu office said Wednesday a rain gauge in Waipa recorded 49.69 inches of rain during the 24-hour period ending 12:45 p.m. on April 15.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.