Author Topic: Justice Thomas Asks: Do Aliens Enjoy Constitutional Protections?  (Read 491 times)

rangerrebew

Justice Thomas Asks: Do Aliens Enjoy Constitutional Protections?
By Ken Masugi| April 25th, 2018

The controversy last week over Justice Neil Gorsuch joining a liberal majority in declaring unconstitutional an immigration statute supported by the Trump Administration  overshadowed Justice Clarence Thomas’s provocative dissent in the case. “Until today],” wrote Thomas, “this Court has never held that an immigration statute is unconstitutionally vague.”

In fact, Gorsuch and Thomas ruled in different ways on the result in Sessions v. Dimaya because they both aimed at constraining arbitrary power and, ultimately, the administrative state.

https://amgreatness.com/2018/04/25/justice-thomas-asks-do-aliens-enjoy-constitutional-protections/

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Justice Thomas Asks: Do Aliens Enjoy Constitutional Protections?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 11:46:11 am »
I think the SC has previously ruled that noncitizens do have Constitutional rights.  Is he referring to people outside the US?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 12:29:28 pm »
I think the SC has previously ruled that noncitizens do have Constitutional rights.  Is he referring to people outside the US?

Aliens have the same protections as other citizens,but not the rights of citizens. For example,they can't vote unless they register as a Dim.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 02:24:41 pm »
Were for those noncitizens that were legally here in this country or did it include those illegally here?

Seems there is a distinction here.

If a guy breaks into my house illegally, he possesses less constitutional rights typically afforded him, and I believe the courts have ruled his life is at risk as a consequence.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington