Author Topic: Report: Fallen Air Force Tech Sgt. Approved for Medal of Honor  (Read 1933 times)

rangerrebew

Report: Fallen Air Force Tech Sgt. Approved for Medal of Honor

Military.com 20 Apr 2018 By Oriana Pawlyk

The U.S. Air Force is set to posthumously award the Medal of Honor to an airman for the first time since the Vietnam War, according to an exclusive report from Task & Purpose.

The White House will award Tech Sgt. John Chapman, who was killed in eastern Afghanistan in 2002 while serving as a radioman with Navy SEALs, the highest award for military valor in a ceremony later this year, T&P said on Friday.

The Air Force would not comment on the report, and referred all questions to the White House. The White House did not immediately respond to a Military.com query and did not confirm any details to Task & Purpose.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/04/20/report-fallen-air-force-tech-sgt-approved-medal-honor.html
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:45:14 am by rangerrebew »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Report: Fallen Air Force Tech Sgt. Approved for Medal of Honor
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 11:55:49 am »
Sounds like a royal CF. 
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 04:02:54 pm »
Sounds like a royal CF.

@driftdiver

How could it be anything else? Basically,he died because the USAF wanted to be able to stick their toes into the ground warfare game and dollar. US Army soldiers and USMC infantrymen have been calling in air strikes ever since somebody thought of the idea,with no real problems.

I have no doubt that young man was SUPREMELY qualified to run a radio,but it takes months,if not years of constant training with recon teams on the ground to develop the knowledge and the instincts you need to survive when TSHTF and the team scatters in E&E mode.  On top of that,some people are just born with good combat survival instincts,and others are born with none at all,just like some people are born pilots,and others can be taught to land 9 out of 10 times without crashing.

The people who just don't have the instincts either wash out of the programs completely during the first year or so of training,or are moved to support positions where they are better suited to serve.

BTW,the US Navy SEALS have no business doing this,either. Once again,they are just doing it so the Navy can stick their beaks into the Shitstainistan funding as players instead of being seen as non-players. The US Navy already had and has people HIGHLY qualified to go in on the ground and survive for long periods of time. They are called USMC "Force Recon". The US Navy is their "daddy" and they don't have "US Navy" in front of "Force Recon",so they don't get the jobs they were trained to do,and the SEALS DO get the jobs they were semi-trained to do. The SEAL team that got wiped out except for the one survivor that wrote the book that became the movie is proof of this. That team had the "Hollywood Raid" mindset instead of the grunt mindset,and chances are a USMC Force Recon would have not only survived,but would have completed the mission and made the hit. Those boys are SERIOUSLY good in the bush,and they take it seriously.

BTW,I have been around and trained with both USMC Force Recon and SEAL team guys,and want to point out BOTH are HIGHLY dedicated and motivated people who are also VERY smart. It just comes down to they exist for different purposes and focus on different skill and survival sets.  Carpenters and plumbers both build houses,but would you hire plumbers to frame and finish it,and carpenters to run the plumbing?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:08:09 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 04:45:55 pm »
@driftdiver

How could it be anything else? Basically,he died because the USAF wanted to be able to stick their toes into the ground warfare game and dollar. US Army soldiers and USMC infantrymen have been calling in air strikes ever since somebody thought of the idea,with no real problems.

I have no doubt that young man was SUPREMELY qualified to run a radio,but it takes months,if not years of constant training with recon teams on the ground to develop the knowledge and the instincts you need to survive when TSHTF and the team scatters in E&E mode.  On top of that,some people are just born with good combat survival instincts,and others are born with none at all,just like some people are born pilots,and others can be taught to land 9 out of 10 times without crashing.

The people who just don't have the instincts either wash out of the programs completely during the first year or so of training,or are moved to support positions where they are better suited to serve.

BTW,the US Navy SEALS have no business doing this,either. Once again,they are just doing it so the Navy can stick their beaks into the Shitstainistan funding as players instead of being seen as non-players. The US Navy already had and has people HIGHLY qualified to go in on the ground and survive for long periods of time. They are called USMC "Force Recon". The US Navy is their "daddy" and they don't have "US Navy" in front of "Force Recon",so they don't get the jobs they were trained to do,and the SEALS DO get the jobs they were semi-trained to do. The SEAL team that got wiped out except for the one survivor that wrote the book that became the movie is proof of this. That team had the "Hollywood Raid" mindset instead of the grunt mindset,and chances are a USMC Force Recon would have not only survived,but would have completed the mission and made the hit. Those boys are SERIOUSLY good in the bush,and they take it seriously.

BTW,I have been around and trained with both USMC Force Recon and SEAL team guys,and want to point out BOTH are HIGHLY dedicated and motivated people who are also VERY smart. It just comes down to they exist for different purposes and focus on different skill and survival sets.  Carpenters and plumbers both build houses,but would you hire plumbers to frame and finish it,and carpenters to run the plumbing?

@sneakypete

He died because he was left behind not because he couldn't hack it.  FAC are considered SF and have been in some of the toughest and toughest stuff.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 04:51:18 pm »
@sneakypete

<I>He died because he was left behind [/i]

Yes,that is the Big Picture viewpoint. Another is unless he was incapacitated due to broken bones,gunshot wound,etc,etc,etc,he didn't know enough to try to E&E,or HOW to E&E. Sometimes it's more about surviving than it is fighting.

BTW,being "able to hack it" is irrelevant. Being able to hack it is being physically and mentally able to accomplish a feat. If you haven't received the training and continued to train on a daily basis for months and years at a time,you just don't know what to do when you get hit with the adrenaline rush and have to fall back on instincts and training.

You either know how to do something or you don't.

FAC are considered SF and have been in some of the toughest and toughest stuff.

Only by people who don't know any better. You could consider him to be an airplane if you wanted,but that doesn't mean you could fly him anywhere.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 04:57:10 pm by sneakypete »

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 05:05:11 pm »

@sneakypete

Only people who are ignorant wod treat them with such disrespect.

FAC were the first into Grenada.  They were the first in many others including Afghanistan.  They are very well trained and now experienced as any seal delta or other SF team.  To call them radio operators is disrespectful of this man who gave his life and many others like him.

All the E&E training in the world sometimes just isn't enough. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 06:21:52 pm »
I know you military types love you some acronyms, but it makes it hard to follow.  Just for ignorant people like me could you spell this stuff out?   ^-^

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 10:18:45 pm »
@sneakypete

Only people who are ignorant wod treat them with such disrespect.

I was a career US Army Special Forces soldier. ONLY people ignorant of the military would say anyone in the USMC,US Navy,USAF,or USCG was "Special Forces/SF".

FAC were the first into Grenada.  They were the first in many others including Afghanistan.

I seriously doubt that. MAYBE Grenada because anyone could fly in on a commercial airliner and look around,but they definitely weren't the first into Afghanistan. That was the US Army Special Forces.

They are very well trained and now experienced as any seal delta or other SF team.

Yes,they are very well trained,but they are NOT as experienced as any SEAL,SF,or especially not a Delta Team. Their mission is to establish radio communications with attack aircraft,PERIOD. Yes,it can be and often is just as dangerous as most other missions,but there is no comparison between that and missions like doing a prisoner snatch.

Or as dangerous as being a USAF Para-Rescue team member,which is one of the most dangerous jobs in the world during war time.

To call them radio operators is disrespectful of this man who gave his life and many others like him.

All the E&E training in the world sometimes just isn't enough.

That's true too,but some beats the HELL out of none.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 10:28:33 pm »
I know you military types love you some acronyms, but it makes it hard to follow.  Just for ignorant people like me could you spell this stuff out?   ^-^

OK,SF means "US Army Special Forces" ONLY. If you hear someone claiming a sailor,Marine,or USAF member is Special Forces,they don't know what they are talking about.

E&E is escape and evasion. This is what you do when things didn't go according to plan and you have to break off contact (fighting) with the enemy and run for your life. You would do this for a variety of reasons ranging from running out of ammo to being in danger of being overran by a superior armed force. Most soldiers and Marines don't receive this training because they operate in large units that are rarely outnumbered or outgunned for long. Exceptions would be pilots who get shot down,and soldiers or Marines that patrol with small units behind enemy lines with no help available to come and bail them out,like recon teams,SEAL teams,or Special Forces teams.

BTW,the son of a freind enlisted in the USAF about 2 years ago,and he is now deployed as a radio operator with some non USAF unit.  His job is to talk to the airplanes or drone pilots and call in the air strikes. The job of the SEALS or other Special Operations Team that he is with is to get him in and out of there alive.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 11:30:41 pm »
OK,SF means "US Army Special Forces" ONLY. If you hear someone claiming a sailor,Marine,or USAF member is Special Forces,they don't know what they are talking about.

E&E is escape and evasion. This is what you do when things didn't go according to plan and you have to break off contact (fighting) with the enemy and run for your life. You would do this for a variety of reasons ranging from running out of ammo to being in danger of being overran by a superior armed force. Most soldiers and Marines don't receive this training because they operate in large units that are rarely outnumbered or outgunned for long. Exceptions would be pilots who get shot down,and soldiers or Marines that patrol with small units behind enemy lines with no help available to come and bail them out,like recon teams,SEAL teams,or Special Forces teams.

BTW,the son of a freind enlisted in the USAF about 2 years ago,and he is now deployed as a radio operator with some non USAF unit.  His job is to talk to the airplanes or drone pilots and call in the air strikes. The job of the SEALS or other Special Operations Team that he is with is to get him in and out of there alive.

Thanks, Pete.  That helps.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 11:50:03 pm »

@sneakypete

Give it up.  SF is a generic term.  The reason this guy dies is his seal team mates left him behind.

Your ignorance and snarky comments towards this guy are disgraceful.

FAC were first in many places.  They went into Afghanistan first and were positioned with Afghanistan troops.  There's a reason they are embedded with other teams.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 11:51:28 pm »

Is he a FAC?  No

Too bad your idols left this guy behind. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 12:00:03 am »
@sneakypete

Give it up.  SF is a generic term.  The reason this guy dies is his seal team mates left him behind.

Your ignorance and snarky comments towards this guy are disgraceful.

FAC were first in many places.  They went into Afghanistan first and were positioned with Afghanistan troops.  There's a reason they are embedded with other teams.

MY ignorance??? You fool,I was a career Special Forces NCO,and operated in VN,Laos,and Cambodia with covert action teams.

And you?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 12:02:50 am »
Is he a FAC?  No

Too bad your idols left this guy behind.

Are you drunk or retarded? Forward Air Control operators ARE radio operators. HTF do you think they communicate with the aircraft they are vectoring in,by letters? Vulcan mind control? Maybe they just yell REALLY loudly?

And WHO are "my idiots" and WHO was "left behind"?

You are starting to seriously piss me off. Ignorance is one thing,but arrogance added to ignorance is something else.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:03:32 am by sneakypete »

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 12:15:19 am »
Are you drunk or retarded? Forward Air Control operators ARE radio operators. HTF do you think they communicate with the aircraft they are vectoring in,by letters? Vulcan mind control? Maybe they just yell REALLY loudly?

And WHO are "my idiots" and WHO was "left behind"?

You are starting to seriously piss me off. Ignorance is one thing,but arrogance added to ignorance is something else.

@sneakypete

I think we all know who is drunk.  Things have changed since 1970.  It's obvious you haven't learned a damn thing since.

So damn you for dishonoring this hero just because he was Air Force. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 12:35:44 am »
@sneakypete

I think we all know who is drunk.  Things have changed since 1970.  It's obvious you haven't learned a damn thing since.

So damn you for dishonoring this hero just because he was Air Force.

Nobody is dishonoring anybody,fool! YOU are the one that seems to think radio operators are some sort of sub-par scum,and the hilarious part is you are so ignorant you don't realize that radio operators are VERY important members of any team. If radio operators are unimportant,WHY would they get special operations teams to escort them in and out of target areas?

If you have a chip on your shoulder because you joined the Air Force,don't blame me. Maybe you could volunteer to become a radio operator and find out for yourself?

And I was still involved with training at the Special Warfare Center in the mid-90's.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:42:52 am by sneakypete »

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 12:39:10 am »
Nobody is dishonoring anybody,fool! YOU are the one that seems to think radio operators are some sort of sub-par scum,and the hilarious part is you are so ignorant you don't realize that radio operators are VERY important members of any team.

If you have a chip on your shoulder because you joined the Air Force,don't blame me. Maybe you could volunteer to become a radio operator and find out for yourself?

And I was still involved with training at the Special Warfare Center in the mid-90's.

Damn you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 12:44:45 am »
Damn you.

BTW,bubba. It may interest you to know that *I* started out as a  SF radio operator.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 12:52:28 am »
BTW,bubba. It may interest you to know that *I* started out as a  SF radio operator.

Your buddies left him behind and you belittle him.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 01:52:25 am »
Your buddies left him behind and you belittle him.

You are a liar. My buddies left no one behind,and only YOU belittle him with your absurd claim that FACs/radio operators are somehow less worthy than others of praise.

You just make up shit as you go along,don't you?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 01:53:44 am by sneakypete »

Offline MOD3

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 03:05:05 am »
Take it elsewhere, gentlemen.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 03:19:40 am »
Take it elsewhere, gentlemen.

We have a pissing match section?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 03:46:41 am »
We have a pissing match section?

We have gentlemen?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 03:53:17 am »
We have gentlemen?

Madam......I resent the insinuation.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 03:54:55 am »
Madam......I resent the insinuation.

My apologies.  I didn't know you wanted to be thought of as such.  But I do appreciate you addressing me properly.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:55:27 am by RoosGirl »