Author Topic: Opioids Still Overprescribed After Surgery: Study  (Read 2570 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Opioids Still Overprescribed After Surgery: Study
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 12:09:02 am »
You're a Castle Doctrine state, right? I'll pass.

I knew I was making myself clear.   ^-^

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2018, 12:12:23 am »
I knew I was making myself clear.   ^-^

You goofed and invited him in.   Can no longer claim he broke in.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2018, 12:13:41 am »
You goofed and invited him in.   Can no longer claim he broke in.

Sure, and if he ID's out as "Frank Cannon" I'm screwed.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2018, 12:16:27 am »
Sure, and if he ID's out as "Frank Cannon" I'm screwed.

Plenty of ways to dispose of the evidence.  Think there was a thread here for that.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2018, 01:53:21 am »
@Victoria33

Dittos, with the exception of Pancreatitis.  I was burned from my shoulder to my knees by hot water and oil at the age of two.  I also have a high tolerance.  I know of what you speak. Getting sunburned took away 99% of the scarring.

I can tell people this little factoid about the "new" synthetic drug you are allowed to use because of the ban on opiods: It is highly addictive!

It is called Tramadol.  Stay away from it if you can. 

I am now going through acupuncture.  It is working.  No back pain after just three visits. But getting off the Tramadol is a killer.  I never took the four pills a day as suggested.  I took two.  Now I have cut the two into halves, and I am down to one.  I have never been this addicted to any drug before.

The "horrible" opiod I was prescribed for about eight years never bothered me when I stopped taking them.  That was Hydrocodone. And I took half the dosage of those, too.

So, beware!

I plan on writing a letter to President Trump and the First Lady about my experience.
@Slip18
Tramadol is like taking a Tic Tac for pain relief, it's a joke, one step above Tylenol. I know because after my surgeries it's all I am allowed for my pain relief. Sorry but I still hold the view that anything is addictive IF you have an addictive personality. I say this as someone who took Vicodin for over twenty five years for migraines and stopped without any issues or abuse over all those years and now for my long term daily pain I have been prescribed Tramadol for the last five years, never used up my prescribed quantity early or felt the need to have a pill or pills if I wasn't in excess pain. And as far as Tramadol, my hundred and fifty pound dog not only gets twice as much as I do he gets to have it more frequently, BAH!

And please understand I know I am being a bit over the top and apologize if I come across offensive, you see I understand that just as pain is a purely subjective and  individual experience so is our reaction to medications. While Morphine is great for some it make me ill, and I can no longer take any of the Codeine family because of allergic reactions after long term use, those drugs are Godsends to others.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2018, 04:06:29 am »
@GtHawk

And please understand I know I am being a bit over the top and apologize if I come across offensive, you see I understand that just as pain is a purely subjective and  individual experience so is our reaction to medications. While Morphine is great for some it make me ill, and I can no longer take any of the Codeine family because of allergic reactions after long term use, those drugs are Godsends to others.

I found Tramadol far more addictive.  I am off all of pain medications now, thanks to acupuncture. But that is very subjective, also.

After my very first session of acupuncture, I could feel my fingertips which I had not felt since 1995.  Nerve damage, yet again.

So you are correct. 

After a car hit me in 1985, I was in the hospital for ten days.  I received the best drug ever.  It was called Demerol. 

That stuff was mighty fine.

Everyone reacts differently to different drugs.  That is just the way it is.  I should not have been so ignorant to post "Don't take Tramadol."  It took me about a week to get that junk out of my system.

888high58888
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2018, 06:06:10 am »
@GtHawk

I found Tramadol far more addictive.  I am off all of pain medications now, thanks to acupuncture. But that is very subjective, also.

After my very first session of acupuncture, I could feel my fingertips which I had not felt since 1995.  Nerve damage, yet again.

So you are correct. 

After a car hit me in 1985, I was in the hospital for ten days.  I received the best drug ever.  It was called Demerol. 

That stuff was mighty fine.

Everyone reacts differently to different drugs.  That is just the way it is.  I should not have been so ignorant to post "Don't take Tramadol."  It took me about a week to get that junk out of my system.

888high58888
@Slip18
I didn't and don't think you were ignorant in your caution, I think you were just concerned for your fellow Briefers and trying to warn them. It's why I tried to soften my statements because I realized I was being, as I am to often, an aggressive ass(the first step in changing a behavior is to recognize it, I recognized that behavior of mine some forty odd years ago, Oh Well). it's obvious that a number of us have very strong feelings on the subject. Be well, and may your pain level be 1

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2018, 05:08:17 pm »
@GtHawk

Thank you!  Right now my pain level is at 0%!  But the kitties (10) kept me up all night last night.  Always sumthin'.  Eh?

You are a nice person.  Don't be so hard on yourself.  Okay?

:beer:
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline thackney

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2018, 05:59:09 pm »
...He was right, in that from then on, any pain I had, I immediately compared it to Pancreatitis pain, and the new pain was nothing compared to that one.   

The moral of that story, is, each person reacts to levels of pain differently.  No research of pain can come up with a "chart" that is reliable.  I can stand more pain than the average person due to my experience of Pancreatitis, so the average person would need a pain killer before I would.  It has to be up to the individual doctor of the individual patient to determine whether a pain pill is required or not....

I believe you.

I had a similar experiences with a extreme Kidney infection.  Bad enough that they would not let me as a 17 year old out of bed for 5 days.  I was only allowed to roll to one side with help so they could change the sheets.

I had previously had my lower face shredded by a big dog.  I've dislocated knee-caps, torn chunks out of my thumb with a table saw, ruptured a disk in my low back, compressing my spine.  The back stuff was bad, but not even close to the kidneys.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2018, 06:02:15 pm »
It is called Tramadol.  Stay away from it if you can. 

Interesting.  I've used Tramadol and haven't noticed that effect.  We had used it a lot with two dogs going through bone cancer.  When I was prescribed it for a frozen shoulder, I was told I could use the left overs we had from the dogs.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer