Author Topic: No, Conservatives Shouldn’t Try to Punish Radical Professors for Offensive Speech  (Read 976 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
The proper response of a free people to trolls is indifference, which denies them the attention they crave
By David French
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/04/conservatives-offensive-speech-from-professors-dont-punish/

Here we go again. Another day, another ridiculous free-speech controversy. This time it involves a far-left professor at Fresno State University, Randa Jarrar. In the hours after Barbara Bush’s death, Jarrar tweeted that Bush was a “generous and smart and amazing racist who, along with her husband, raised a war criminal,” adding “F*** outta here with your nice words.” Then, when the inevitable backlash built, she doubled down, taunting her critics with her tenured status, calling Bush a “witch,” and pranking readers by sharing Arizona State University’s crisis hotline.

All-in-all, it was a reprehensible display, a grotesque example of the most stereotypically unhinged radical professor doing her dead-level best to provoke outrage in the name of, what? Social justice? Public awareness of the Iraq War? Who knows? Who cares?

. . . So, this is a simple matter: The president of the university, Joseph Castro, should condemn Jarrar’s speech while at the same time unequivocally defending the First Amendment. But unfortunately, Castro has gone another route, announcing that he would open an investigation, and declaring, “This was beyond free speech. This was disrespectful" . . . We’re reaching a disturbing point in American discourse where increasingly both sides of the national debate (it’s not the Left that’s driving the firestorm against Jarrar) are looking for ways to justify and rationalize censorship and suppression of offensive views . . .

. . . Every time that we refuse to tolerate offensive expression, we incentivize the culture of crocodile tears. We motivate government officials to expand state power over speech until the silencing exceptions swallow the free-speech rule . . .

Here’s an alternative: Leave the trolls alone. Let the radicals rant. Then, rebut the bad speech with better speech, or — sometimes better yet — rebut it with silence. Does anyone really care what Randa Jarrar thinks of Barbara Bush? Or is she now mainly useful as a foil, as clickbait, as the latest pawn in the culture war? I think we know the answer . . . [K]illing an idea through censorship? That’s not what free people do.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Bullshit.  Stupidity should hurt.  The Muslim bitch earns 100K a year for sitting on her fat ass at FSU.  I say let he live on UE for 26 weeks and see If she wises up.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Millee

Conservatives need to go after tenure.  No reason why these anti-American POS's should have lifetime job security. 

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
No, Conservatives Shouldn’t Try to Punish Radical Professors for Offensive Speech

But isn't it interesting that Radical Professors can actually punish Conservatives for speech and beliefs they find offensive?
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Frank Cannon

FU Frenchy. The Left is openly calling for outlawing Conservative speech. Just read the CEO's latest screed where he advocates erasing Right Wing ideas by hiding them from the public.

NR is nothing but a bunch of fairy losers.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
FU Frenchy. The Left is openly calling for outlawing Conservative speech. Just read the CEO's latest screed where he advocates erasing Right Wing ideas by hiding them from the public.

NR is nothing but a bunch of fairy losers.

It's the same kind of shit we hear from Muslim activists who insist that we shouldn't condemn those calling for the implementation Sharia Law and the killing of infidels.

Because you know... they are oppressed peoples that have a right to foment their grievances and we should be 'adult enough' to listen to them and accept that Islam is a religion of peace.

Same shit - slightly different totalitarian ideology than the Left.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Let them rant their heads off---that is their right, which we cannot afford to infringe---but let us keep from them the political means
of depriving everybody else of the same right.
---Frank Chodorov.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
There is a monstrously huge distinction between going after the livelihoods of ordinary private citizens because of the content of their free speech, and going after teachers/professors who are putting forth these horrible ideas to students.  Especially when the school in question is state-supported as is Fresno State.  Apparently, National Review doesn't understand the importance of that distinction.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying that our schools shouldn't be teaching this crap, and advocating for the termination of those teachers/professors who do.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 07:25:50 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
The proper response of a free people to trolls is indifference, which denies them the attention they crave
By David French
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/04/conservatives-offensive-speech-from-professors-dont-punish/

I wish this bitch could get the 18th century Out On a Rail treatment.  (Except warm pork renderings instead of tar)

Say what you want about GHWB (including he's a war hero), but attacking a FL hours after dying (by a radical muzzie no less).....argh!!!! Let's get her back to Iraq, and let her make comments like this around their leader's families.  See how that works out for her.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
BS.  She's teachingindoctrinating our youngsters and doing so at a public university.  Bye.

Online andy58-in-nh

There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying that our schools shouldn't be teaching this crap, and advocating for the termination of those teachers/professors who do.

On the contrary, I think it is incumbent upon all supporters of liberty to speak out against the insanity and inanity that virtually defines modern Academia, for it is poisoning rather than enriching the minds of our children.

With private institutions, those paying school tuition have every right to demand accountability on the part of professors and administrators. In the case of publicly-funded institutions, it should be up to the taxpayers to determine whether their funding should continue or be reduced or eliminated.

In neither case should speech ever be opposed or silenced, and that goes for all sides. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online roamer_1

Conservatives need to go after tenure.  No reason why these anti-American POS's should have lifetime job security.

OK @Millee ... But I think governmental grants and aid to colleges and to students should be curtailed. Take the free money out of it and it goes back to a merit based system... which is the best thing to destroy liberalism in any system.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Bullshit.  Stupidity should hurt.

I agree.  She shouldn't be censored, but she should be shamed.

There IS a response to this, and it is not silence.  The Constitution only protects one's speech from the government.   The rest of us have the right and perhaps even the duty to point out prime examples of uncivil, amoral assholery.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
At the end of the day a person like this woman shouldn't be teaching children.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
BS. This is war. It's taxpayer money. Bulldoze over her and smear her into the dirt.
The Republic is lost.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Vulcan wrote:
"BS. This is war. It's taxpayer money. Bulldoze over her and smear her into the dirt."

Couldn't have said it better or more succinctly.
These "teachers" are indoctrinating a generation of students to hate America.

This is "part of the plan", a la the Frankfurt School.

They SHOULD NOT be permitted to do this, "free speech" or no.
Want to "lose the country"? Then let scum like this go on "teaching".
I say fire this muslim's a@@ right outta there, and don't let her get hired anywhere else.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Couldn't have said it better or more succinctly.
These "teachers" are indoctrinating a generation of students to hate America.

This is "part of the plan", a la the Frankfurt School.

They SHOULD NOT be permitted to do this, "free speech" or no.
Want to "lose the country"? Then let scum like this go on "teaching".

We're about thirty years too late.  They virtually own our children's minds and hearts.