Author Topic: This Fall, California Voters Could Decide Whether To Split Their State In Three  (Read 1093 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: THE FEDERALIST

URL: http://thefederalist.com/2018/04/20/fall-california-voters-decide-whether-split-state-three/

by Tony Lima

Silicon Valley venture capitalist Tim Draper has come up with a scheme to split California into three states, and he’s collected twice as many signatures as he needs to get the proposition on the ballot in November. Some 600,000 Californians have signed his petition, which would allow a vote on whether to split the state into North California, South California and California.

Personally, I would have named the third part Coastal California. Here’s what Draper has in mind:

He has done one thing correctly. He has roughly equalized population among the three regions in his proposal. The effect, however, would be to syphon all the conservatives off into one state — South California — and create two progressive states. In other words, progressives would get four U.S. senators and conservatives just two.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline SirLinksALot

Offline SirLinksALot

So here’s how it would break down. Northern California would get districts 1, 2, 3, 4, 10 and the northern bit of 5 (basically Santa Cruz county). Coastal California gets the rest of 5 plus 7. And South California gets 6, 8, 9, 11, and 12.

Offline SirLinksALot

California is home to three public college and university systems: the University of California, the California State University, and community colleges. The UC system has ten campuses: North California would get five, Coastal California two, and South California three. Would Los Angeles and Santa Barbara go along with that? In addition, the UC system has six medical centers, two national laboratories, and a host of other activities.

Offline SirLinksALot

It gets even worse when you consider the CSU system. North California would get nine (Stanislaus is located northwest of Merced). South California would get four, while Coastal California would get ten. Those who live in the Inland Empire and Orange County would not be happy.

Also, There are 114 campuses in the California Community College System. I leave it to readers with way too much time on their hands to perform those calculations.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I will be in the South, about 10 miles from the border with "California."

"California," which includes the LA sh!tholes of Watts riots in 1965 and Rodney King riots in 1992, are and remain area as to avoid.

Two out of six Senators, is better than zero out of two.

SoCal includes a great deal of the agricultural area to beyond Fresno, and a great deal of the aerospace, oil near Bakersfield, etc.

So instead of moving to AZ or UT I simply remain, and the legislature and Governor of SoCal reduce taxes to previous reasonable levels.

Plus we could control the border with Mexico.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 04:11:06 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline SirLinksALot

I will be in the South, about 10 miles from the border with "California."

"California," which includes the LA sh!tholes of Watts riots in 1965 and Rodney King riots in 1992, are and remain area as to avoid.

So instead of moving to AZ or UT I semply remain, and the legislature and Governor of SoCal reduce taxes to previous reasonable levels.

I gather you will be voting "YES" to the CAL3 proposal this fall?

Offline truth_seeker

I gather you will be voting "YES" to the CAL3 proposal this fall?

Tentatively, YES. (Selfish reasons. At my advanced age, I prefer to not relocate away from my "home" within a mile of the ocean for 52 years. It is still too crowded, but our lifestyle only requires going "inland" every few days for a few hours).

Offline SirLinksALot

Here's the problem with this referendum -- IT's UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

The US Constitution requires the state legislature to the US Congress to make such decisions.

See Article IV, Section 3 of the US Constitution:

“New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the junction of any two States, without the consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as the Congress.:

Offline thackney

The US Constitution requires the state legislature to the US Congress to make such decisions.

I see the referendum as starting that process, not the claimed finish.

- - - - - - -

from the article:

CAL3 can be passed by a simple majority in November, if it is put on the ballot. If it passes, the state legislature will have to approve the request to divide the state and the governor will have to sign the bill. After that the request must be approved by the U.S. Congress.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:34:15 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline truth_seeker

It will be interesting which major political groups suppoft and oppose.

Offline verga

It would be at net gain of two liberals in the Senate and possibly two more in the House.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

It would be better for your bragging rights to having "conservative" Senators, but it screws the rest of the country by providing a net increase of two bed-wetting liberals in the Senate.  This is why the National Legislature gets a say.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
It would be at net gain of two liberals in the Senate and possibly two more in the House.

Why would the 6 senators split 5 to 1?
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline thackney

Why would the 6 senators split 5 to 1?

Current 2 Dems.

Anticipated new split: 4 Dems, 2 Repubs; net gain of +2.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Current 2 Dems.

Anticipated new split: 4 Dems, 2 Repubs; net gain of +2.

That's where I got my figures, too.  And I think it's assuming a lot we'd get two GOP Senators from SoCal.  I'm not so sure.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Axeslinger

But all they need to do...and probably the only way this would pass is to include the  SF Bay Area into “California”. Then those other two dem senators  aren’t quite so assured.

All this said:  I FULLY support California New York and Illinois splitting into multiple states.   The vast majority of those states population outside of the big urban areas do not support the BS that has been running rampant there.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
But all they need to do...and probably the only way this would pass is to include the  SF Bay Area into “California”. Then those other two dem senators  aren’t quite so assured.

All this said:  I FULLY support California New York and Illinois splitting into multiple states.   The vast majority of those states population outside of the big urban areas do not support the BS that has been running rampant there.

The lefties will never go for a plan that does not multiply their Congressional power.  They aren't stupid.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Axeslinger

The lefties will never go for a plan that does not multiply their Congressional power.  They aren't stupid.

I don’t disagree, but I’d like to think all those non libtard folks in Northern California will be asking “what do I get outta this?”

Why I said the ONLY way it will pass...
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I don’t disagree, but I’d like to think all those non libtard folks in Northern California will be asking “what do I get outta this?”

Why I said the ONLY way it will pass...

If they keep LA and SF in separate states, they get more power in DeeCee and that means more gibsmedats for them.  Bottom line.  If this makes it to reality, the lefties will be all for it, and they'll get enough support from the right to pull it off because they want to be free of Sacramento, even if it screws the rest of the country with more liberal Senators.
I will NOT comply.

Offline The_Reader_David

In states with initiative, the state Constitution makes the populace into the legislature of the state when a matter is brought before it by initiative as is happening here.  If Congress thinks this will be a good deal (for the country, one hopes, but one suspects that the decision would be based on "is it a good deal of the GOP?") they can go with it.  If it replaced two 'Rat senators with two 'Rats and 2 GOP, and lets part of what's now a 54 electoral vote block for the 'Rats become competitive, it probably is a good deal.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
In states with initiative, the state Constitution makes the populace into the legislature of the state when a matter is brought before it by initiative as is happening here.  If Congress thinks this will be a good deal (for the country, one hopes, but one suspects that the decision would be based on "is it a good deal of the GOP?") they can go with it.  If it replaced two 'Rat senators with two 'Rats and 2 GOP, and lets part of what's now a 54 electoral vote block for the 'Rats become competitive, it probably is a good deal.

My math says it would replace two Rats in the Senate with four Rats and maybe two GOP.  Net loss, so it's a bad deal.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:13:42 am by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Title:
"This Fall, California Voters Could Decide Whether To Split Their State In Three"

Actually, I'd be happier if they voted to "split" from the United States of America.

Not worth fighting over.

Let 'em go!