Author Topic: 9th Circuit appoints special prosecutor against Sheriff Joe Arpaio  (Read 435 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

9th Circuit appoints special prosecutor against Sheriff Joe Arpaio
Dissenting judge on panel worries ruling could foster ‘inappropriate… political attacks’ on presidency
Washington Times, Apr 18, 2018, Alex Swoyer

A federal appeals court said this week it will appoint a lawyer to argue that former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s contempt of court conviction should remain on his record despite President Trump’s pardon.  The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said that since the federal Justice Department is supporting both the pardon and Mr. Arpaio’s request to have his conviction stricken, someone else needs to argue the other side.

Mr. Arpaio argues that the pardon came before he had a chance to appeal his conviction, and even before the federal district judge in the case had a chance to rule on his request that it be set aside. The former Maricopa County sheriff’s opponents had said not only should the conviction stand, but the pardon should be deemed invalid because it subverted the justice system.

The district judge split the argument, ruling the pardon was valid but leaving the conviction on Mr. Arpaio’s record.  Mr. Arpaio has appealed, and the Justice Department has sided with him.

The 9th Circuit, in a 2-1 decision, acknowledged there’s no precedent for what it’s doing.  “However, we see no reason why such appointment should not take place,” the court said in an order Tuesday.

More: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/apr/18/9th-circuit-appoints-special-prosecutor-against-sh/

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: 9th Circuit appoints special prosecutor against Sheriff Joe Arpaio
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 11:01:27 pm »
Judge Bolton is a idiot, and the 9th just falls in line with the idiocy.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 11:07:20 pm »
Presidential pardons are absolute. There is nothing they can do about it and they know it. It's in the Constitution.

My guess is that the Rat party is going to make an issue of pardons and try and make them invalid.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 11:46:49 pm »
“However, we see no reason why such appointment should not take place,”

Once you lose the rule of law the rest is easy.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 12:49:55 am »
Presidential pardons are absolute. There is nothing they can do about it and they know it. It's in the Constitution.

My guess is that the Rat party is going to make an issue of pardons and try and make them invalid.

Rats never seem to understand what may come back to bit them in the ass.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."