Author Topic: If Trump lawyer Cohen recorded conversations, is that OK?  (Read 792 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
If Trump lawyer Cohen recorded conversations, is that OK?
« on: April 17, 2018, 07:45:07 pm »
If Trump lawyer Cohen recorded conversations, is that OK?
The New York Rules of Professional Conduct for lawyers generally prohibit "conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit, or misrepresentation."
by Danny Cevallos / Apr.16.2018 / 9:05 AM ET

Legal analysis

The FBI reportedly seized audio recordings during its raid of attorney Michael Cohen's property, including recordings of Cohen's conversations with another lawyer representing women who allegedly had affairs with President Donald Trump, according to CNN.

If Cohen, the president's longtime personal attorney, made it a practice of recording his conversations, he might have recorded conversations with clients, as well as with adversaries. If he recorded client conversations, then he could have recorded conversations with his client, Trump.

more
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/if-trump-lawyer-cohen-recorded-conversations-ok-n866236
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Re: If Trump lawyer Cohen recorded conversations, is that OK?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 07:47:11 pm »
I have wondered about this.  If he told the other parties he was recording for clarity, accuracy, etc., would that be appropriate and legal?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 08:15:45 pm »
I would think it depends on the jurisdiction.  In Texas, it's legal to record a conversation as long as one person in the conversation knows it's being recorded.  In California, both/all parties need to be aware that it's being recorded.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 08:18:24 pm »
I have wondered about this.  If he told the other parties he was recording for clarity, accuracy, etc., would that be appropriate and legal?

It depends on the State it was recorded in, and if all parties gave consent.

Some states require that at least one party give consent, others require all parties give consent. I'm sure someone else who is on a computer can look this up for New York quicker than I can as I'm back to just being on my phone this afternoon.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 08:23:06 pm »
The big question here is does the FBI have them and what will they do with them..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 09:17:16 pm »
NY is a one-party recording state, so Cohen didn't have to inform the other participants of his recordings.  (The fact that lots of people knew he did it, makes me think he probably did regularly tell participants.) I was wondering more about the ethics or rules of this for attorneys in particular.

And @mystery-ak, you're right -- the main issue is who decides if r cording are germaine (instead of Tito or Janet).
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline MeshugeMikey

• the anti trump
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 04:17:15 pm »
The big question here is does the FBI have them and what will they do with them..

BINGO~!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 04:30:48 pm »

In California the consent of all parties is required to record conversations.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 05:31:11 pm »
What’s the big deal?  It’s just a bunch of recordings, mostly about real estate advice.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline MeshugeMikey

• the anti trump
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 07:48:08 pm »
does trump lawyer have recordings of his dealing with his Deutsche Bank buddy  Jerry Rotonda??

Deutsche Bank the people find 600 million bucks for laundering 10 BILLION dollars of RUSSIAN  RUBLES??

the dirt goes deep