Author Topic: Tennessee lawmakers punish Memphis for removing Confederate statues  (Read 414 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
The retaliation came in the form of passage of a last-minute amendment attached to the House appropriations bill that triggered heated debate.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The Republican-dominated House in Tennessee voted Tuesday to punish the city of Memphis for removing Confederate monuments by taking $250,000 away from the city that would have been used for a bicentennial celebration next year.

The retaliation came in the form of passage of a last-minute amendment attached to the House appropriations bill that triggered heated debate on the House floor and stinging rebukes from lawmakers from Memphis.

Rep. Antonio Parkinson began to call the amendment vile and racist before being cut off by boos from fellow lawmakers.

"You can boo all you want but let's call it for what it is," the Memphis representative said.

Last year the city of Memphis, which is majority black, was able to find a legal loophole to get rid of two Confederate statues and a bust by selling city parks to a nonprofit, which swiftly removed the monuments. Taken away under cover of darkness where statues of Confederate President Jefferson Davis and Nathan Bedford Forrest. Forrest was a general in the confederacy, a slave owner and a leader in the Ku Klux Klan. A bust of a Confederate soldier was also removed.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tennessee-lawmakers-punish-memphis-removing-confederate-statues-n866961
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline verga

Re: Tennessee lawmakers punish Memphis for removing Confederate statues
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 04:21:33 pm »
They made a choice they can live with the consequences.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: Tennessee lawmakers punish Memphis for removing Confederate statues
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 04:29:23 pm »
I guess the lawmakers of Tennessee do not understand how Marxist Communism works. 

In a Communist society such as the one the Left, the blacks and Democrats are imposing on all of us, demands and requires that you and I be subjugated - and that we must pay for all the subjugation and treatment that they empower the state to do to you.

Did you folks forget that when the Commies shoot your relatives in a camp - that they bill you for the bullet and the burial in a mass grave?

So, when they remove your history - YOU and I must pay for it.

Watch that $250,000.00 get reinstated for the Blacks in memphis to have their celebration.

Otherwise it's 'racist' and BLM will suddenly have another issue to go bonkers over.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775