Author Topic: Revolutionary data: California tops U.K., now world’s fifth-largest economy  (Read 498 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Revolutionary data: California tops U.K., now world’s fifth-largest economy

Benjy Egel    |    May 04, 2018

California is now the world’s fifth-largest economy, according to data released Friday morning by the U.S. Department of Commerce. Its 2017 Gross State Product was $2.747 trillion, surpassing the United Kingdom’s $2.625 trillion Gross Domestic Product.

The new ranking marks the highest point for California’s relative GSP since 2002. The state had slipped to the 10th-largest world economy in 2012, when its GSP was just $2.003 trillion.

Texas was the U.S.’s next highest-producing state with a GSP of $1.696 trillion, followed by New York, Florida and Illinois. Vermont, Wyoming and Montana produced the least valuable goods and service in the U.S.

California trails only Germany ($3.685 trillion), Japan ($4.872 trillion), China ($12.015 trillion) and the United States (16.644 without California) among the world’s leading economies.

Read more here: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/state/california/article210466514.html#storylink=cpy

-------------------

From 10th largest (down from 7th) to 5th largest is quite a lot of economic activity.

California exceeds Texas by 61%. Texas' GDP is approximately the same size, as Canada. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Suppressed

I know it's chic to claim that the rest of the US doesn't need California and that a secession would be welcome, but it really would be quite traumatic for the rest of the states to have an acrimonious split.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I know it's chic to claim that the rest of the US doesn't need California and that a secession would be welcome, but it really would be quite traumatic for the rest of the states to have an acrimonious split.
I am a native, and I hate what is wrong with California today.

But I still like what is good about it, namely weather, scenery, availability of great shopping, entertainment, etc.

Not to mention right after Texas, the most Trump voters in the country. We may be a minority but we are solidly behind conservatism, and this President.

Orange County plus San Diego County have 113 miles of coastline with wide clean beaches, with easy access.

Did I mention weather? It is 82 F, now at 3:25 pm. That is up from the last few days.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln