Author Topic: Russia claims Syria air defenses shot down 71 of 103 missiles  (Read 591 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Russia claims Syria air defenses shot down 71 of 103 missiles
Unverifiable – Assad's most modern weapon is 3-decade ols Moscow-supplied system
Published: 19 hours ago

(London Guardian) The Russian military has claimed that the Syrian air defences, whose most modern weapon is a three-decades-old Russian-supplied anti-aircraft system, shot down 71 of 103 missiles fired by the US and its allies, the UK and France, a claim denied by the Pentagon.

more
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/14/russia-claims-syria-air-defences-shot-down-majority-missiles
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Russia claims Syria air defenses shot down 71 of 103 missiles
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 02:55:14 pm »
The age of the equipment mentioned in the article doesn’t matter.  Air defense is about positioning and defeating countermeasures.  However, there’s no way they hit anywhere near the claimed number of incoming missiles.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 03:00:13 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 09:59:37 pm »
The age of the equipment mentioned in the article doesn’t matter.  Air defense is about positioning and defeating countermeasures.  However, there’s no way they hit anywhere near the claimed number of incoming missiles.

You are certainly more knowledgeable about this than I, does Syria even have the capabilities?  Could they be getting assistance from another country in the ME?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 10:20:23 pm »
You are certainly more knowledgeable about this than I, does Syria even have the capabilities?  Could they be getting assistance from another country in the ME?

Cruise missiles are subsonic, but they hug the terrain on approach.  It’s not impossible to intercept them, because they were, along with an F-117, over Bosnia in 1999.  When a target is at low altitude or has low observability, having defenses properly emplaced can lock on it.  Stealth aircraft aren’t ‘invisible’ to radar - they just have greatly diminished radar signatures.  The same is true for an 18ft cruise missile flying low.  If you have a group of radars and SAM systems looking the right way, the target can be triangulated and locked on through shared information on a networked defense system.

It requires a good crew with quick coordination.  I doubt the Syrians have more than a few really good crews and they would be responsible for protecting Assad and their most important areas.  They may have been able to get a Tomahawk or two, but nothing near what they’re saying.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 01:26:49 am »

Cruise missiles are subsonic, but they hug the terrain on approach.  It’s not impossible to intercept them, because they were, along with an F-117, over Bosnia in 1999.  When a target is at low altitude or has low observability, having defenses properly emplaced can lock on it.  Stealth aircraft aren’t ‘invisible’ to radar - they just have greatly diminished radar signatures.  The same is true for an 18ft cruise missile flying low.  If you have a group of radars and SAM systems looking the right way, the target can be triangulated and locked on through shared information on a networked defense system.

It requires a good crew with quick coordination.  I doubt the Syrians have more than a few really good crews and they would be responsible for protecting Assad and their most important areas.  They may have been able to get a Tomahawk or two, but nothing near what they’re saying.

Thank you for the info.  :beer:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 01:35:24 am »
Thank you for the info.  :beer:

No problem.  Combination of having an older brother who was in the Air Force for 15 years along with geeking out on Jane's All The World's Aircraft, plus other books by Bill Gunston and Ian V. Hogg since I was 10 years old is to blame.