Author Topic: Bombing in Syria is on NOW. BREAKING LIVE THREAD  (Read 17634 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Bombing in Syria is on NOW. BREAKING LIVE THREAD
« Reply #150 on: April 14, 2018, 12:43:09 pm »
Royal Air Force Tornados join Syria strikes, launching Storm Shadow missiles
ITV/UK, Apr 14, 2018

Four Royal Air Force Tornados GR4s joined the strikes against Syria, launching Storm Shadow missiles at a base 15 miles west of Homs.

The Tornado is UK's primary ground attack jet and has been used to carry out numerous air strikes in Syria and Iraq in recent years.

Set to be retired from service next year after almost four decades on operations, the Tornado, with a maximum speed of Mach 1.3, has also seen action in Libya and Afghanistan.

The main Tornado squadrons are based at RAF Marham in Norfolk, which will become the new home of the cutting-edge of the F-35 Lightning stealth fighter jets.

There are currently six of the jets based at RAF Akrotiri, Cyprus, a location some 315 miles (510km) from Syria.

Described as a "long-range deep-strike weapon" by MBDA systems, which produces the missile, the company states on its website that it is "designed to meet the demanding requirements of pre-planned attacks against high-value fixed or stationary targets".

More: http://www.itv.com/news/2018-04-14/raf-tornado-syria-gr4-homs/

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #151 on: April 14, 2018, 12:57:14 pm »
Yes, but facts can change. And when they do, responsible leaders adapt and change their response to the new circumstances.

Except the situation was exactly the same when he took office.  Assad was still in power, Iran and Russia were still present, and certain factions in the rebel opposition still have agendas separate from our interests.  The only fact that had changed was it was now his call to make from behind the resolute desk, instead of the armchair. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 12:57:45 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #152 on: April 14, 2018, 01:01:31 pm »
Mark Steyn on our "allies":
In the early hours of Saturday morning, US, UK and French forces struck Bashar Assad's regime in Syria. We'll see what, if anything, comes of that.

One notes that Germany did not participate in the attacks - which is odd, considering that the most significant event in German life this last half-decade has been the arrival of millions of young, male so-called "Syrian" so-called "refugees" fleeing the chaos of "their" benighted land, and inflicting a whole lot on their Teuton hosts. On the other hand, unless I've missed a walk-back, Mutti Merkel's official position remains the more "refugees" the better. So presumably she won't be satisfied till everyone flees everywhere and settles in Germany.
link
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2018, 01:29:18 pm »
Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
50 minutes ago

A perfectly executed strike last night. Thank you to France and the United Kingdom for their wisdom and the power of their fine Military. Could not have had a better result. Mission Accomplished!

Mission Accomplished Baby!!!  I guaran-damn-ty the next time President Trump announces the US is withdrawing from Syria, Assad will NOT gas his own people in an effort to keep America engaged militarily, or distracted from the antics of the colossal moron who sits in the oval office.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2018, 01:29:58 pm »
Sounds like this was a very targeted attack focused on facilities that develop and store chemical weapons that dealt a "severe blow" against Syria. No US (or other allied) casualties. Great job by the President and our military!!
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #155 on: April 14, 2018, 01:30:16 pm »

Except the situation was exactly the same when he took office.  Assad was still in power, Iran and Russia were still present, and certain factions in the rebel opposition still have agendas separate from our interests.  The only fact that had changed was it was now his call to make from behind the resolute desk, instead of the armchair.

What changed was Assad’s brazen use of chemical weapons in defiance of international norms, as if to say FU to America and the civilized world. A surgical response becomes necessary under such flagrant defiance. Anyway, I doubt this strike will result in protracted actions by the United States, and I believe President Trump will extricate our involvement in that region as he promised.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #156 on: April 14, 2018, 01:31:12 pm »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2018, 01:39:43 pm »
It really does seem France took the lead in the attack on Libya and then we fell in line too and uncharacteristically, Obama got involved as well... but this is just speculation.

It seems this time again, France took a bit of a lead but that is just on the periphery.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #158 on: April 14, 2018, 01:46:14 pm »
Mission Accomplished?  Really - I feel better, then.

From what I know, which is probably worse than nothing, I did not support this action.  Now, I pray for its success.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline TomSea

« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2018, 01:50:40 pm »
By Jake Miller CBS News August 30, 2013, 11:41 AM
George W. Bush "not a fan" of Syrian President Bashar al Assad

Former President George W. Bush said Friday that he is "not a fan" of Syrian President Bashar al Assad, but he refused to be "roped in" to the debate over whether the U.S. should launch a military strike on Syria.

Bush, whose controversial push for war in Iraq and Afghanistan has been cited by some as a cautionary lesson as the U.S. mulls military engagement in Syria, told Fox News, "The president's got a tough choice to make, and if he decides to use our military, he'll have the greatest military ever backing him up."

Asked to reflect on his own dealings with Assad during his tenure in office, Bush said he's "not a fan" of the Syrian dictator: "He's an ally of Iran and he's made mischief."

More: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/george-w-bush-not-a-fan-of-syrian-president-bashar-al-assad/

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2018, 01:52:32 pm »

Made mischief?

What this really means is the puppet masters haven't told him what to think yet.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2018, 01:52:47 pm »
I doubt this strike will result in protracted actions by the United States, and I believe President Trump will extricate our involvement in that region as he promised.

@aligncare   Agree .... Here's the part of the President's speech from last night on this very issue:  (The full transcript of the speech is at the link included)

The United States has also rebuilt our friendships across the Middle East. We have asked our partners to take greater responsibility for securing their home region, including contributing large amounts of money for the resources, equipment and all of the anti-ISIS efforts. Increased engagement from our friends, including Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Egypt and others can ensure that Iran does not profit from the eradication of ISIS.

America does not seek an indefinite presence in Syria under no circumstances. As other nations step up their contributions, we look forward to the day when we can bring our warriors home. And great warriors they are.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2018/04/13/full-transcript-of-trumps-address-on-syria-airstrikes/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.26a9b286e209

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 01:57:59 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2018, 01:53:46 pm »
Bush vetoes Syria war plan

Julian Borger in Washington, Michael White, Ewen MacAskill in Kuwait City and Nicholas Watt

Tue 15 Apr 2003 03.30 EDT
First published on Tue 15 Apr 2003 03.30 EDT

The White House has privately ruled out suggestions that the US should go to war against Syria following its military success in Iraq, and has blocked preliminary planning for such a campaign in the Pentagon, the Guardian learned yesterday.

In the past few weeks, the US defence secretary, Donald Rumsfeld, ordered contingency plans for a war on Syria to be reviewed following the fall of Baghdad.

Meanwhile, his undersecretary for policy, Doug Feith, and William Luti, the head of the Pentagon's office of special plans, were asked to put together a briefing paper on the case for war against Syria, outlining its role in supplying weapons to Saddam Hussein, its links with Middle East terrorist groups and its allegedly advanced chemical weapons programme. Mr Feith and Mr Luti were both instrumental in persuading the White House to go to war in Iraq.

Read more at: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/apr/15/syria.usa

It's pretty clear, the Bush admin saw the Assad regime as problematic as well, they, Syria, also harbored Saddam's brother for some time.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2018, 01:58:27 pm »
US Judge Rules Assad Helped Al-Qaeda Kill Americans
Home > World > Iran > US Judge Rules Assad Helped Al-Qaeda Kill Americans
By Ryan Mauro Monday, May 8, 2017

A district court judge ruled the Syrian regime — and specifically its ruler, President Bashar al-Assad — are liable for the murders of three Americans by al-Qaeda because of the regime’s massive support for the terrorist group’s branch in Iraq.

In addition to those three Americans, tens of thousands of U.S. soldiers, Iraqis and others have been killed or injured due to Assad’s sponsorship of al-Qaeda and other jihadists.

The lawsuit was filed by the families of Laurence Michael Foley, a U.S. diplomat in Jordan assassinated by al-Qaeda in 2002; Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin, killed in Iraq in 2004 and Pvt. Kristian Menchacha, who was killed in Iraq in 2006.

Read more at: https://clarionproject.org/us-judge-rules-assad-helped-al-qaeda-kill-americans/

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2018, 02:12:28 pm »
Syria air strikes: UK confident of successful mission, says PM

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43763605
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline edpc

« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2018, 02:21:29 pm »
Sounds like this was a very targeted attack focused on facilities that develop and store chemical weapons that dealt a "severe blow" against Syria. No US (or other allied) casualties. Great job by the President and our military!!

While I was watching the Pentagon briefing by Gen. Dunford last night, a few things stood out.

1)  We didn't strike some facilities, due to high risk of collateral damage.
2)  A research facility was destroyed, resulting in lost equipment and data.
3)  Valuable precursors and a command center were destroyed.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/video/pentagon-syria-strike-specifically-hit-targets-54461086

First, the fact some facilities remained untouched means they still have stores, precursors, production, or a combination of the three.  Also, while equipment may have been lost at the research facility, the entire WMD program can fit on a thumb drive in Assad's pocket.  They lost nothing, data-wise.  Besides, the specialized personnel are more valuable.  Finally, many precursors have dual use properties.  One of the aspects of Novichok was the fact it could be easily concealed among agricultural research and production, when the Soviets developed it.  The command center is easily rebuilt.  Competent command structure officers aren't as easily replaced.

There was about one year between the last two chemical attacks and subsequent US strikes.  Everything hit last night is easily replaced within 12 months.  From early reports, the execution was perfect.  However, the true damage won't be that severe, especially without a loss of critical personnel by the Syrians.  I suppose we can look forward to this as an annual springtime occurrence.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2018, 02:25:06 pm »

It seems unlikely to me, that the mission could have been successful. They had several days warning that a strike was coming. Like any of us on this board, like any of us would have done, I have no doubt that whatever it is that they were doing, whatever they were working on, they evacuated the key critical components to a safe place out of the area that was bombed.

Given the numerous warnings that Trump and other Western power gave to Syria and Russia, it is like they wanted to be seen as doing something but they didn't want to actually hurt anybody. If this had been a real, serious strike, we would have never heard a single word about it until it was over.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2018, 02:30:07 pm »

and no response from the Russians.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #168 on: April 14, 2018, 02:31:28 pm »

Given the numerous warnings that Trump and other Western power gave to Syria and Russia, it is like they wanted to be seen as doing something but they didn't want to actually hurt anybody. If this had been a real, serious strike, we would have never heard a single word about it until it was over.

Exactly....Syria/Russia had almost a week to move anything of importance. We may have just bombed an empty building..time will tell.

Like @240B said..if you wanted to make any kind of *statement* that would hurt Assad, the bombing should have happened almost immediately after the gas attack..just my 2cents
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

« Reply #169 on: April 14, 2018, 02:32:20 pm »
Israel has conducted dozens of strikes against Syria, Russia has called them out on the carpet for a number of those as well... per Russian warnings, this in part, could be for show.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #170 on: April 14, 2018, 02:56:38 pm »

:amen:  I concur!

Something like this is what SHOULD have happened several years ago IMHO!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 02:57:36 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2018, 03:01:08 pm »

and no response from the Russians.

Not yet, anyway.   If they do anything at all, it'll be where they'd have an advantage.  Perhaps they'd start harassing Baltic states with military maneuvers, build up forces and equipment in Syria, or ramp things up with 'mercenaries' in places like Ukraine.  It likely wouldn't begin with a direct confrontation.  If it ever did come to that, keep this in mind from a couple weeks ago....

CHINA MILITARY TELLS RUSSIA 'WE'VE COME TO SUPPORT YOU' AGAINST U.S.

BY TOM O'CONNOR ON 4/3/18 AT 12:14 PM

China's military leadership has pledged its support to Russia as tensions between Moscow and the West further deteriorate into diplomatic isolation, economic sanctions and dueling defense drills.

In his first visit to Russia, newly appointed Chinese Defense Minister Wei Feng attended the seventh Moscow International Security Conference accompanied by a delegation of other high-level military officials. Emphasizing that his trip was coordinated directly with Chinese President Xi Jinping, Wei said that he had two major messages for Russia at a time when both nations were attempting to modernize their armed forces and strengthen their hands in global affairs in spite of U.S. fears.

http://www.newsweek.com/china-military-tells-russia-weve-come-support-you-against-us-870070
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 03:16:55 pm by edpc »

Offline XenaLee

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2018, 03:22:24 pm »
Exactly....Syria/Russia had almost a week to move anything of importance. We may have just bombed an empty building..time will tell.

Like @240B said..if you wanted to make any kind of *statement* that would hurt Assad, the bombing should have happened almost immediately after the gas attack..just my 2cents

Well hey.... at least this time we didn't give them three months to clean up the sites, like we gave Saddam.  Only a week?  That's making them hustle! 
No quarter given to the enemy within...ever.

You can vote your way into socialism, but you have to shoot your way out of it.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2018, 03:25:34 pm »

Operation Desert Stormy is over already? That was fast.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2018, 03:26:18 pm »
Well hey.... at least this time we didn't give them three months to clean up the sites, like we gave Saddam.  Only a week?  That's making them hustle!

Primary goal, I'm sure, was to give Putin time to get his naval vessels and troops/advisors to safety.

You can be sure that they had 24/7 orbital cameras on Syria to make sure they could track movements of chemical weapons, etc..
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald