Author Topic: Trump Lawyers Fight To Shield Items Seized In FBI Raid  (Read 973 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Trump Lawyers Fight To Shield Items Seized In FBI Raid
« on: April 13, 2018, 04:33:05 pm »
NEW YORK (AP) — Lawyers for President Donald Trump and his personal attorney, Michael Cohen, told a federal judge in New York on Friday that they believe some of the documents and devices seized from Cohen during an FBI raid are protected by attorney-client privilege, and they want a chance to review the items before prosecutors get to examine them.

In the hour-long court hearing, U.S. District Judge Kimba Wood said Cohen's lawyers have asked to "take the first cut at identifying documents that are relevant or not relevant to the investigation."

An attorney for the president, Joanna Hendon, appeared as well, telling the judge that Trump has "an acute interest in this matter."

https://www.ktbs.com/news/arklatex-politics/trump-lawyer-fights-to-shield-items-seized-in-fbi-raid/article_b14d494e-7c72-5891-97a3-8fa2474bd123.html
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:36:35 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

Re: Trump Lawyers Fight To Shield Items Seized In FBI Raid
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 05:51:51 pm »
Joanna Hendon said that as Cohen’s client, Trump has the right to assert what’s privileged, not Cohen. “He has an acute interest in those proceedings and the manner in which these materials are reviewed,” Hendon told the court. Her firm, Spears & Imes LLP, was retained on April 11 and she said she’d had just two hours notice of the arguments.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/another-trump-lawyer-stalls-cohen-151809331.html

Trump sends a different lawyer in at the last minute to assert what is privileged.  Interesting.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 06:12:30 pm »
In the hour-long court hearing, U.S. District Judge Kimba Wood said Cohen's lawyers have asked to "take the first cut at identifying documents that are relevant or not relevant to the investigation."

I think this request is quite reasonable.
The investigation should have a narrow scope as to what is being sought, and what can be used.

Offline edpc

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 06:19:10 pm »

The investigation should have a narrow scope as to what is being sought, and what can be used.

It is reasonable. However, why did Trump have his own lawyer there to say his decision over privilege would override Cohen’s?  Does he no longer trust him?

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 06:23:11 pm »

It is reasonable. However, why did Trump have his own lawyer there to say his decision over privilege would override Cohen’s?  Does he no longer trust him?

I think that could cut two ways.

(1) to show impartiality, fearing that Cohen might try to hide something.

or

(2) Just the opposite, to keep Cohen from revealing more than he needs to.

It ought to be interesting to see which way this falls.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 06:38:15 pm »
U.S. District Judge Kimba Wood

Geez. This old bag is still around?

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 06:39:57 pm »
U.S. District Judge Kimba Wood

Geez. This old bag is still around?

Didn't Bill Clinton nominate her for SCOTUS?

They found out she worked as a Playboy bunny, or something like that, and that ended that.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 07:17:39 pm »
Didn't Bill Clinton nominate her for SCOTUS?

They found out she worked as a Playboy bunny, or something like that, and that ended that.

She was an Al Tomato suggestion to Reagan and then out of the blue Clinton picked her when that other broad fell through. Don'tcha remember Nannygate?

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 07:19:33 pm »
She was an Al Tomato suggestion to Reagan and then out of the blue Clinton picked her when that other broad fell through. Don'tcha remember Nannygate?

Yep, Nannygate was one of the nominee's and one worked at the Playboy Cub, if I remember correctly.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 07:24:32 pm »
Yep, Nannygate was one of the nominee's and one worked at the Playboy Cub, if I remember correctly.

Nah. Zoe Baird got nailed for hiring illegals and not paying taxes. That was illegal. Wood got nailed for having illegals and paying taxes on them. That was legal at the time. Because of that we got jammed with a third rate loser like Reno, who had illegals, but was smart enough to kill them so they couldn't testify.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 07:26:25 pm »
Then Kimba Wood ought to be sympathetic to The Donald's "big boobs" problem....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 07:37:11 pm »
Then Kimba Wood ought to be sympathetic to The Donald's "big boobs" problem....

So I did some research, and Kimba Woods trained to be a Playboy Bunny, for 5 days, but it looks like she didn't actually work there,

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 07:47:42 pm »
So I did some research, and Kimba Woods trained to be a Playboy Bunny, for 5 days, but it looks like she didn't actually work there,

No, but it would appear this ol' gal knew how to bang her way up the ladder.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 08:51:49 pm »

Agree.