Author Topic: ‘Dismantle whiteness’ mural installed at USC  (Read 1811 times)

Offline goatprairie

Re: ‘Dismantle whiteness’ mural installed at USC
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2018, 01:40:10 pm »
I dislike Rap. I like Reggae. I have heard some music from South Africa that is very good.

The merger of black and white music, resulting in blues and jazz and rock, is loved in Europe.

In turn europe has some great music and performers, doing American style music. The British Invasion was mainly brits putting a new twist on (mostly) black blues.

If you look at the Stones, you see one thing. If you look at John Mayall and his Bluebreakers, you see another version.

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mack yet another. And Cream added another interpretation of black American blues.
Cream was probably the best blues-based British group as far as quality and having almost all their music blues-based.. The Animals were another.  However, both groups had hits that were not.
But many British groups' music, especially The Beatles, only rarely used blues-based music for their hits. "She's A Woman" was blues-based as was "Baby You Can Drive My Car."
But most Beatles hits weren't. The Beatles had many hits that were ballads or folk music-based.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2018, 02:55:39 pm »
MLK’s consistent messaging had it right. Lift all people up, not tear some people down.

Yup.  We honor MLK one day out of the year, and dishonor his message on every other day.   

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2018, 03:00:34 pm »
Cream was probably the best blues-based British group as far as quality and having almost all their music blues-based.. The Animals were another.  However, both groups had hits that were not.
But many British groups' music, especially The Beatles, only rarely used blues-based music for their hits. "She's A Woman" was blues-based as was "Baby You Can Drive My Car."
But most Beatles hits weren't. The Beatles had many hits that were ballads or folk music-based.

The Beatles were less blues-based than, say, the Stones, and came out of the skiffle tradition -  remember Lonnie Donegan?   The skiffle craze in Britain was in turn an offshoot of another peculiarly British take on American jazz and blues - the "trad boom" that produced (among others) Chris Barber and Acker Bilk.   The British tradsters took pre-swing era New Orleans jazz and made it popular dance music!   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide