Author Topic: Teachers Get Baseball Bats to Confront Shooters in Pennsylvania District  (Read 619 times)

Offline thackney

Teachers Get Baseball Bats to Confront Shooters in Pennsylvania District
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/11/us/erie-bats-school-shooting.html

A school district in Erie, Pa., has supplied teachers and other school employees with miniature baseball bats to use as a last resort if confronted with an active shooter.

“We don’t want to be sitting ducks,” William Hall, superintendent of the Millcreek Township School District, said on Wednesday. “We’re not just going to go hide.”

The 18-inch wood bats are also meant to be “symbolic,” he said, to remind people that the old policy of simply turning off the lights, shutting the door and hiding, is not enough. Now, he says, one option is fighting back....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Polly Ticks

I'm as big a baseball fan as anybody, but this is just ridiculous.  Why not give them foam bricks to throw, in the hopes it will distract an active shooter and throw off his aim?

Or at least give them a full-size bat so they can get some leverage behind it.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline andy58-in-nh

Never bring a bat to a gun fight.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline The_Reader_David

I'm as big a baseball fan as anybody, but this is just ridiculous.  Why not give them foam bricks to throw, in the hopes it will distract an active shooter and throw off his aim?

Or at least give them a full-size bat so they can get some leverage behind it.

I believe the whole point of it is is that it is ridiculous and that the absurdity of fighting someone armed with a firearm with anything with less range and lethality is supposed to be brought into sharp relief in the minds of the general public and state legislators so that a measure allowing concealed carry by teachers has a better chance being considered by the legislature and perhaps even of passing.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 01:35:42 pm by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Polly Ticks

I believe the whole point of it is is that it is ridiculous and that the absurdity of fighting someone armed with a firearm with anything with less range and lethality is supposed to be brought into sharp relief in the minds of the general public and state legislators so that a measure allowing concealed carry by teachers has a better chance being considered by the legislature and perhaps even of passing.

I tend to be a bit cynical these days, but I hope you're correct.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Screw that toy bat POS.   This would work better.  It never should have removed in the 1st place.

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."