Author Topic: I Was a Liberal Who Worked at Fox News. Here's What That Taught Me About Arguing Politics  (Read 324 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Sally Kohn
Time
April 10, 2018

It may seem surprising for a liberal commentator like myself, but from 2010 to 2013, I worked in the most prominent den of American conservatism: Fox News. During my time at the network I came to realize how condescending I’d been in my views about not only the people who worked at Fox News but the people watching at home. And condescension is just a snooty form of prejudice; we are only condescending to those we feel are inherently beneath us. The more I got out of my own liberal bubble, the more I met other conservatives who were neither stupid nor hateful — or at least no more deliberately hateful than I was. Those experiences really challenged my biases and assumptions. I’m not saying that Sean Hannity is the nicest person on the planet; his political views are certainly not anywhere near what I would reasonably call nice. What I am saying is that I realized that the person I’d thought of as entirely cruel, as the caricature of a horrific right-wing monster, is actually caring and kind, and a good dad and a supportive friend. Including a supportive friend to me.

More

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
She's the kind of person who thinks a nice person is willing to kill a baby.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline skeeter

She's the kind of person who thinks a nice person is willing to kill a baby.

I wonder if she's ever considered shutting up and actually listening to aunt Lucy.