Author Topic: Did Ancient Romans Use Four-Meter Deep Shafts As Refrigerators During Summer?  (Read 589 times)

rangerrebew

Did Ancient Romans Use Four-Meter Deep Shafts As Refrigerators During Summer?
AncientPages.com | April 6, 2018

AncientPages.com - A team of archaeologists working near the Swiss city of Basel are trying to figure out the purpose of ancient deep shafts built by ancient Romans at Augusta Raurica, an archaeological site located  on the Rhine River in northern Switzerland.

The shafts were filled with snow and ice during winter and then covered with straw to keep the space cool well into the summer months. This then allowed for everything from cheese to wine – and even oysters – to be preserved during warm weather, reports The Local.ch.

http://www.ancientpages.com/2018/04/06/did-ancient-romans-use-four-meter-deep-shafts-as-refrigerators-during-summer/

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
My great aunt became nostalgic when I was staying with her one summer and we hike down the hill to the old well, fastened a watermelon securely and lowered it so it would cool.  Neither of us knew how deep the well was, but it did the job. Those were good times.

Offline dfwgator

Apart from that, what have the Romans EVER done for us?

Offline roamer_1

I still know a whole bunch of folks that cut ice in the winter and stack it up in their root cellars...3 or four inches of sawdust, and it'll keep that cellar cool cold all summer long.

nothing new, or attributable to Rome... pretty much been going on forever.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Did the Romans even use meters?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis