Author Topic: Report: Paul Ryan Not Running for Re-Election  (Read 3405 times)

Offline endicom

Report: Paul Ryan Not Running for Re-Election
« on: April 11, 2018, 01:09:55 pm »
Townhall
Cortney O'Brien
Apr. 11, 2018

House Speaker Paul Ryan is not running for re-election, according to reports.

Can confirm @jonathanvswan scoop that Paul Ryan will tell colleagues today that he’s not running for re-election. A source with direct knowledge tells me he’ll inform his staff at 8:45. Story TK

— Elaina Plott (@elainaplott) April 11, 2018

More... https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2018/04/11/report-paul-ryan-not-running-for-reelection-n2469904

Offline endicom

Offline Applewood

Re: Report: Paul Ryan Not Running for Re-Election
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 01:22:40 pm »
Might as well.  Republicans are in danger of losing their majority in both houses, so most likely, he won't be Speaker after this year.  And Ryan has been a major disappointment, but of course, so has the rest of his party. 

Honestly, I say, "good riddance to bad rubbish."  The whole party could resign.  I don't care.

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 01:25:20 pm »
I would really like to believe this is true but I have my doubts.  I think it is a false flag designed to see how many, and who, he can get to "beg" him to stay on.  Then he can "bow to the wishes" of the public and stay. 8bs8

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 01:27:32 pm »
I would really like to believe this is true but I have my doubts.  I think it is a false flag designed to see how many, and who, he can get to "beg" him to stay on.  Then he can "bow to the wishes" of the public and stay. 8bs8

Possibly.  However, it more likely that the GOP internal polling is showing what my state rep reported, and that is that the GOP is going to be shellacked this fall.  Ryan does not want to preside over that.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 01:31:31 pm »

Ben Shapiro  Verified account @benshapiro

Thoughts on Ryan:
1. Ryan really took the hit for McConnell here. Ryan ticked off the base by presenting McConnell with stuff McConnell assured him could pass.
2. To attribute Ryan leaving to Trump rather than the impending blue wave is inaccurate.
3. Ryan was never suited to this job. Speakership generally requires either a wily manipulator (Tip O’Neill) or a unifying legislative vision backed by the party (1994 Gingrich or 2006 Pelosi). Ryan was neither.
4. Ryan’s priorities were not supported by legislators. He was interested in solving big problems like entitlements. They weren’t.
5. Ryan sees himself as an idea guy. The speakership generally isn’t an idea position. He was pushed into it, and he never really wanted it.
6. Ryan does have young kids. Being a legislator in DC, and particularly speaker, sucks. He was likely to step down after the election anyway.
7. Ryan was likely to be minority leader by November, and leave with the party blaming him in order to avoid blaming Trump. Why bother?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 01:44:20 pm »
Ben Shapiro  Verified account @benshapiro

Thoughts on Ryan:
1. Ryan really took the hit for McConnell here. Ryan ticked off the base by presenting McConnell with stuff McConnell assured him could pass.
2. To attribute Ryan leaving to Trump rather than the impending blue wave is inaccurate.
3. Ryan was never suited to this job. Speakership generally requires either a wily manipulator (Tip O’Neill) or a unifying legislative vision backed by the party (1994 Gingrich or 2006 Pelosi). Ryan was neither.
4. Ryan’s priorities were not supported by legislators. He was interested in solving big problems like entitlements. They weren’t.
5. Ryan sees himself as an idea guy. The speakership generally isn’t an idea position. He was pushed into it, and he never really wanted it.
6. Ryan does have young kids. Being a legislator in DC, and particularly speaker, sucks. He was likely to step down after the election anyway.
7. Ryan was likely to be minority leader by November, and leave with the party blaming him in order to avoid blaming Trump. Why bother?

McConnell stabbed Ryan in the back? How (un)surprising.

Pubbies who have spent years in the majority know how it sucks to be in the minority. They're cashing in their chips and heading to K Street and think tanks while the getting is good.

Mark Davis on KSKY was hilarious this morning. He was saying how Trump is making the GOP better...lol, he's been viewing the world through @Right_in_Virginia 's spectacles since November 2016. I'm surprised that Trump hasn't offered Mr. Davis a job in his administration, he'd start every meeting with a prayer for Trump, accentuated with saying "Thank God" three times.

He must work cheap, he has no ratings.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 01:52:39 pm »
Shapiro is absolutely right about point 3.  Ryan is sharp on specific policy matters, but doesn’t have the overall skillset for Speaker.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 01:54:35 pm »
Another tweet:
Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

Speaker Paul Ryan is a truly good man, and while he will not be seeking re-election, he will leave a legacy of achievement that nobody can question. We are with you Paul!
9:50 AM - 11 Apr 2018

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 01:54:56 pm »
Paul will now join his wife in the Washington lobby and enrich himself to the tune of $1 Million + per year band we will get the bill!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 01:57:53 pm »
So, who's turn is it?  McCarthy?  Whoop-de-doo.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 02:21:38 pm »
Damn Ryan straight to hell.  If he knew he was stepping down, then why did he still sell us out?

If it was my last major vote before leaving the Speaker position, then I wouldn't have let anything short of a balanced budget pass.  Yet Ryan pushes through $500 million to keep  abortion clinics up and running.  Bastard!
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 02:22:28 pm »
I guess he got the lobbying gig all lined up.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 02:26:26 pm »
Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

Speaker Paul Ryan is a truly good man, and while he will not be seeking re-election, he will leave a legacy of achievement that nobody can question.

You got that right.  Ryan will go down in history as the Speaker who added more debt to the nation's balance sheet than any other Speaker in US history besides John Boehner.  On each of the last three major spending bills, Ryan gave Democrats far more than they even asked for.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 02:37:55 pm »

I think your BS meter might need some adjustment.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 03:03:40 pm »
...he will leave a legacy of achievement that nobody can question.

Unless one is a Democrat, his legacy will be running TDs for the other team and crafting trillion dollar omnibus spending bills in secret.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 03:09:46 pm »
Ryan might as well leave now and hand the gavel to Pelosi. No one would know the difference.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 03:38:51 pm »
Ryan did not have enough conservative GOP support in the House to do the things he wanted to do, and obviously didn't get to work with a Senate capable of passing a consistent conservative agenda.  If we have 218 House members like Ryan, this country would be much, much better off.  And if we could have put 60 of those guys in the Senate, we'd have been much better off as well.

Ryan too often has been the whipping boy for generalized anger against a Congress that is insufficiently conservative.  Entitlement reform would be the most significant legislative accomplishment in the last half century, but not enough people were willing to follow Ryan.

People can mock him now, but losing him isn't a good thing.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 03:46:13 pm »
Possibly.  However, it more likely that the GOP internal polling is showing what my state rep reported, and that is that the GOP is going to be shellacked this fall.  Ryan does not want to preside over that.

Just goes to show what a wuss he really is.

And he made Joe Biden look like a member of MENSA during their VP debate.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 04:07:36 pm »
I knew that the House was in trouble as soon as I learned that leadership wasn't changing...now it is...a little too late.  I remember being very disgusted when I heard his speech after Trump won the election and he stated something to the effect, that now is the GOP's chance to really do something.  I certainly didn't buy into his hype, because he had led the House the past several years under Bammy.  He didn't do anything then and he hasn't done anything now. 

Representatives are bailing out of the House in record numbers and this is just a sign of what's to come.  We will lose the House and the Senate I'm afraid.  I would like to think otherwise, but I'm a realist at heart rather than an optimist.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 04:11:09 pm »
I guess he got the lobbying gig all lined up.
Likely.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 04:13:41 pm »
Just goes to show what a wuss he really is.

And he made Joe Biden look like a member of MENSA during their VP debate.

I am disappointed in Paul Ryan in some respects, but I also realize that he always lacked enough conservative votes in Congress to get much done, especially in the face of a united Democrat opposition.

His job was always like herding cats, and not just ordinary house cats, mind you, but a big, brawling clowder of nasty, clawing a**hole cats.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 04:18:27 pm »
Most likely, Ryan was being blackmailed.  That is the only plausible excuse I can come up with for his previous actions of giving Democrats even more than they asked for and his new desire to step down.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 04:23:57 pm »
Most likely, Ryan was being blackmailed.  That is the only plausible excuse I can come up with for his previous actions of giving Democrats even more than they asked for and his new desire to step down.

@Hoodat

I've always been of the firm belief that the FBI files that were found in the private residence when Billy Jeff was president have been used for blackmail purposes against Republicans since they first disappeared and continue to be used to this day.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 04:30:11 pm »
I am disappointed in Paul Ryan in some respects, but I also realize that he always lacked enough conservative votes in Congress to get much done, especially in the face of a united Democrat opposition.

His job was always like herding cats, and not just ordinary house cats, mind you, but a big, brawling clowder of nasty, clawing a**hole cats.

Right.  People want to believe that because he's Speaker, he can just make other Republicans vote how he wants.  That's not true.  Hell, the reason he became Speaker was pretty much by default -- the GOP caucus was too fractured no pick anyone else, so he was the consensus default candidate.

There was never a conservative majority in the House, and that's not his fault.