Author Topic: Kentucky neighborhood bans Danes, Dobermanns, German Shepherds, St. Bernards and more  (Read 1669 times)

Offline thackney

Kentucky neighborhood bans Danes, Dobermanns, German Shepherds, St. Bernards and more
http://www.kentucky.com/news/nation-world/national/article208324329.html
April 09, 2018

People living in a Lexington neighborhood were notified last week that several dog breeds, including pit bulls, Great Danes and huskies, were being banned.

Homeowners in McConnell’s Trace were sent letters by the neighborhood developer detailing a change in an existing dog restriction, which previously referred only to unspecified “aggressive breeds,” said Josh McCurn, president of the area’s neighborhood association. Now German shepherds, St. Bernards and chows are among the list of 11 dog breeds restricted from the neighborhood.

McConnell’s Trace sits across Leestown Road from Masterson Station Park.

McCurn said the homeowner’s association did not have a vote on the restrictions and did not “write the language.”...

According to the deed of restrictions for McConnell’s Trace Subdivision, the banned breeds are as follows:

German Shepherds
Rottweilers
Mastiffs
Doberman Pinschers
Pit Bulls (including American Staffordshire Terriers, American Pit Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers and “any dogs containing characteristics of these breeds”)
Huskies
Alaskan Malamutes
Chows
Great Danes
St. Bernards
Akitas
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:46:20 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Most of those aren't aggressive or responsible for many bites

I bet they only want little ankle biters.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline musiclady

Huskies??  St. Bernards??  Seriously???

Actually, my take on it is that they should make the owners move, not the dogs.  A German Shepherd, trained correctly, is gentle and sweet.  In the hands of a bad owner, they may be dangerous, but....... I say again..... make the owner move.

Problem solved.  ^-^
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 07:51:46 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Frank Cannon

What was really interesting is that near the end of the list of deed restrictions is Blacks, Jews, Italians and Episcopalians.

BTW, my insurance company will not let me rent to people who own Pitt Bulls. I just threw some jackass out last year for sneaking one in and then telling me it was a Lab mix.

Offline thackney

Huskies??  St. Bernards??  Seriously???

Actually, my take on it is that they should make the owners move, not the dogs.  A German Shepherd, trained correctly, is gentle and sweet.  In the hands of a bad owner, they may be dangerous, but....... I say again..... make the owner move.

Problem solved.  ^-^

I'm convinced it is not the breed, but the dog.  Significant time with many bad owners can make any breed dangerous outside a fence.

And I say this as someone who was significantly mauled by a St. Bernard.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
“aggressive breeds,”

Any list of "aggressive breeds" should include Chihuahuas

past, present owners will attest

future owners should take heed
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

I'm convinced it is not the breed, but the dog.  Significant time with many bad owners can make any breed dangerous outside a fence.

And I say this as someone who was significantly mauled by a St. Bernard.

Oooo.......... sorry to hear that!

We had German Shepherds on both sides of our house, one gentle as a lamb, one scared the life out of me every time I went in our back yard.  If he had gotten loose, he would have mauled me for sure.

We also had a good friend who is a distance runner, and was attacked on the road by a part Mastiff, part Rottweiler, who was out of control because of a lousy owner.  Our friend would have been killed if it weren't for his instinct to protect his head (which the dog was going for), and the fortunate appearance of a car on the road whose driver opened the door and drove him to the hospital.

I think some dogs are bred to be mean, and I understand any neighborhood's refusal to have those dogs around.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline thackney

Oooo.......... sorry to hear that!

We had German Shepherds on both sides of our house, one gentle as a lamb, one scared the life out of me every time I went in our back yard.  If he had gotten loose, he would have mauled me for sure.

We also had a good friend who is a distance runner, and was attacked on the road by a part Mastiff, part Rottweiler, who was out of control because of a lousy owner.  Our friend would have been killed if it weren't for his instinct to protect his head (which the dog was going for), and the fortunate appearance of a car on the road whose driver opened the door and drove him to the hospital.

I think some dogs are bred to be mean, and I understand any neighborhood's refusal to have those dogs around.

We had a neighbor in Alaska that had a husky-wolf mix.  Made me nervous with our little kids until I got to know it.  He loved our 4 year old daughter and would have protected her against a brown bear.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Malamutes are terrible watchdogs, because they’re so friendly and easy going.  The only time you need to fear one is if it’s eating.  They’re not aggressive at all.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 08:30:56 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online cato potatoe

Of that list, I would only be nervous about neighbors with pit bulls and rottweilers.  Pits are just pointless, hideous beasts owned by trash.  Rottweilers can be sweet, but if they snap, you better have a tourniquet.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Of that list, I would only be nervous about neighbors with pit bulls and rottweilers.  Pits are just pointless, hideous beasts owned by trash.  Rottweilers can be sweet, but if they snap, you better have a tourniquet.

What about Dobbies. That was the "bad boy" breed in the 1970s.

They had the same scary reputation as Pits do now.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

Malamutes are terrible watchdogs...

Is that because they can't?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Putting aside for a moment the obvious FACT that anybody that buys property that has an existing Homeowners Association DESERVES anything that might happen to them right up to and including being burned at the stake,when was the last time anyone saw an aggressive St. Bernard?

If I had MY way,anyone that thinks homeowners associations are a good thing needs to have their citizenship papers revoked,and be put on leaky boats headed to Cuba.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Most of those aren't aggressive or responsible for many bites

I bet they only want little ankle biters.

@driftdiver

I bet they are all yankees that only recently moved to Ky,and they just want to tell someone else what to do.

It's past the time for us to institute some sort of visa system so that yankees can come to America for a maximum of 30 days a year,and not be allowed to buy property or vote here. I prefer a system where they just send us their money and stay in the cesspools they live in,but we all know that's not going to happen. They love to spread misery.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:58:47 pm by sneakypete »

Online cato potatoe

What about Dobbies. That was the "bad boy" breed in the 1970s.

They had the same scary reputation as Pits do now.

Some lines are still problematic ... however, most of their aggression has been bred out.  Pits are on a level the dobermans never were:  Basically, fighting machines.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Some lines are still problematic ... however, most of their aggression has been bred out.  Pits are on a level the dobermans never were:  Basically, fighting machines.

@cato potatoe

I have several friends who have adopted "rescue" pit bulls,and they are the nicest dogs you would ever hope to meet. I am not saying they would be all puppy kisses and sunshine if they were to see you hurt one of the little girls they pal around with,though. Since there is no danger of me ever doing that,the dogs don't worry me at all.

My dobie was the same way. Nicest damn dog in the whole damn universe unless she caught you being aggressive with her cat or me. All bets were off if that happened,though.

BassWrangler

I think pitbulls can be as good a dog as any, but they just happen to be the dog out choice for white trash who can't be bothered to raise a dog properly, so the breed gets a bad wrap.
(Run-on sentence alert)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:21:37 am by BassWrangler »

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher

Little sh__'s have incurred more ankle damage that you can imagine.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Nothing beats these.  They are the perfect dog.. :seeya:

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

...when was the last time anyone saw an aggressive St. Bernard?

November 22nd, 1973, at least for me.

It happens, it certainly isn't common.

Stupid, stupid rule by stupid, stupid tyrants.

Offline Polly Ticks

That depends on the dog, too.  We had two when I was a kid.  One was stereotypical; the other one was the sweetest dog you could ever meet. 

It's like attorneys -- the 99% give the 1% a bad name.   ^-^
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Frank Cannon

Nothing beats these.  They are the perfect dog.. :seeya:

I don't know. My Chinese restaurant can't seem to get the gaminess out of them no matter the dish.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
I don't know. My Chinese restaurant can't seem to get the gaminess out of them no matter the dish.

An oldy but goody.....

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Homeowners Association DESERVES anything that might happen to them right up to and including being burned at the stake,when was the last time anyone saw an aggressive St. Bernard?

Summer, 1983

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
I think pitbulls can be as good a dog as any, but they just happen to be the dog out choice for white trash who can't be bothered to raise a dog properly, so the breed gets a bad wrap.
(Run-on sentence alert)

@BassWrangler
Pit bulls of any variety are great dogs, until they aren't.   Then they are a nearly unstoppable killing machine.   Unlike most other breeds, pits were bred for fighting.  Strong bones and the muscles to make Arnold jealous.

If they have a strong responsible owner they are safe to be around. 
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.