Author Topic: If a Blue Wave Is Building, Why Do CNN & MSNBC’s Ratings Suck?  (Read 652 times)

rangerrebew

If a Blue Wave Is Building, Why Do CNN & MSNBC’s Ratings Suck?
by Rush Limbaugh - Apr 6,2018

RUSH: I want to run two things by you here that seem somewhat contradictory. I want to get your opinion on something, since it’s Open Line Friday. The first story here chronicles the first quarter television ratings tanking for CNN and ESPN. CNN is continuing to lose audience.

Now, MSNBC is doing better, and it kind of mitigates my question a bit because MSNBC is radical left, and it is attracting an audience. It’s radical left insane, and it’s attracting an audience. It’s not outperforming Fox or anywhere close to it. Fox is still far and away numero uno. But CNN is tanking. They are continuing to lose audience and you might even say that CNN’s more radical, period, than MSNBC is.

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2018/04/06/blue-wave-building-cnn-msnbcs-ratings-suck/amp/

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: If a Blue Wave Is Building, Why Do CNN & MSNBC’s Ratings Suck?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 03:08:56 pm »
Because the blue wave is a leftist psyops mirage created by their narrow base of broken glass liberals voting heavily in special elections with turnout 20% of that in a general election.

Nobody has yet to explain how that is going to translate into getting back the blue-collar Dems that voted for Trump and have essentially left the party.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 03:11:16 pm »
@mystery-ak

To get news, the best place is here, TBR.  You have it right in front of you to study, whereas, on a news channel, the speech flies by and you hope you heard all of it, then the ads start and you wait and wait until the news comes back.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 03:11:48 pm »
Liberals don't need the news channels and talk radio, because they control the rest of the media. 

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 03:14:27 pm »
Just so we have a realistic perspective instead of 'rose colored glasses' that Rush provides- MSNBC's ratings are up 87%.
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/cable-news-ratings-cnn-fox-news-msnbc-q2-1202479416/

Fox's ratings are up as well.

What is down are the venues people normally think as more 'middle of the road' (yes, I know we don't see the major ABS/NBS/CBS networks that way but most of the public does).

People are becoming more and more polarized in their 'team' and so they are gravitating to the extremes.  They are staking their sides and putting on their team's jersey.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 03:21:06 pm »
Blue Wave:  Based on special elections so far, Dems are winning.  Texas primary numbers of each party, show Dems turned out in massive numbers which they had not done before.  It is a long time until this November, and happenings between now and then could cause either party to win over the other.

Offline ABX

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 03:23:08 pm »
Blue Wave:  Based on special elections so far, Dems are winning.  Texas primary numbers of each party, show Dems turned out in massive numbers which they had not done before.  It is a long time until this November, and happenings between now and then could cause either party to win over the other.

As I always say, no one should take any polling position they currently have for granted. They should always fight like they are 20 points down. Wearing rose colored glasses can backfire.

The worst case scenario by assuming the worst- you work harder.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 05:06:14 pm »
Just so we have a realistic perspective instead of 'rose colored glasses' that Rush provides- MSNBC's ratings are up 87%.
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/cable-news-ratings-cnn-fox-news-msnbc-q2-1202479416/

Fox's ratings are up as well.

What is down are the venues people normally think as more 'middle of the road' (yes, I know we don't see the major ABS/NBS/CBS networks that way but most of the public does).

People are becoming more and more polarized in their 'team' and so they are gravitating to the extremes.  They are staking their sides and putting on their team's jersey.

You beat me to posting this.  From the same ratings article, it's noted that Rachel Maddow leads in the key demographic group, but Fox still holds 4 out of the top 5 program in total viewers.  Regardless, as noted, MSNBC is "riding the wave of outrage at the Trump administration" with improved ratings for two of their more far-left anchors:  Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell:

MSNBC, meanwhile, is riding the wave of outrage at the Trump administration’s agenda with liberal commentators Maddow and O’Donnell. The NBCUniversal cabler was second in primetime in both measures with 1.64 million total viewers (up 86%) and 389,000 (up 78%). CNN was third with 1.06 million viewers for a 10% increase over last year, with 370,000 in the demo for a 19% increase over last year.

For the quarter, the top five programs in total viewers are: Fox News’ “Tucker Carlson Tonight” (2.71 million); MSNBC’s “The Rachel Maddow Show” (2.52 million); Fox News’ “Hannity” (2.51 million); Fox News’ “The Five” (2.47 million); and Fox News’ “Special Report With Bret Baier” (2.34 million).

MSNBC and Fox News also split the top five programs in the key demo: “The Rachel Maddow Show” (604,000); “Hannity” (550,000); “Tucker Carlson Tonight” (541,000); “The Five (508,000); and MSNBC’s “Last Word With Lawrence O’Donnell” (476,000).
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline ABX

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 05:12:38 pm »
You beat me to posting this.  From the same ratings article, it's noted that Rachel Maddow leads in the key demographic group, but Fox still holds 4 out of the top 5 program in total viewers.  Regardless, as noted, MSNBC is "riding the wave of outrage at the Trump administration" with improved ratings for two of their more far-left anchors:  Maddow and Lawrence O'Donnell:

..and just a few years ago, MSNBC had ratings down with reruns of golf instruction shows. 

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 05:49:15 pm »

You keep saying that and you know full well that if don't mean shit.   

But carry on.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 05:56:08 pm »
You keep saying that and you know full well that if don't mean shit.   

But carry on.

So many surrender monkeys more than willing to yank the agony of defeat from the jaws of victory.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 05:57:05 pm »
..and just a few years ago, MSNBC had ratings down with reruns of golf instruction shows.

I enjoy you going whole hogg trying to find meaning in what less then 1% of the US populations viewing habits are.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 05:58:22 pm »
So many surrender monkeys more than willing to yank the agony of defeat from the jaws of victory.

What are you talking about? The posters non vote for the President was pivotal in him winning the election.

Offline ABX

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 08:02:50 pm »
Interesting article timing:

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/rachel-maddow-ratings-sean-hannity-1202745403/

Rachel Maddow Tops Sean Hannity in March...

MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow beat out Fox News’ Sean Hannity in the Nielsen ratings to become the most-watched cable news host for the month of March.....

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/rachel-maddow-ratings-sean-hannity-1202745403/