Author Topic: Senator's son to seek new civil trial against Joe Arpaio  (Read 563 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Senator's son to seek new civil trial against Joe Arpaio
« on: April 09, 2018, 02:31:12 pm »
WacoTrib By JACQUES BILLEAUD Associated Press Apr 8, 2018

The adult son of outgoing U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake will seek a new civil trial against a candidate seeking to replace Flake — Joe Arpaio — based on allegations that the then-sheriff brought a trumped-up criminal case against him in the deaths of 21 dogs at an Arizona kennel.

Austin Flake and his ex-wife lost a malicious-prosecution lawsuit against Arpaio at a trial in December. But their attorney, Stephen Montoya, said he will seek another trial because authorities failed to turn over key evidence that he contends would have swayed the jury in his client's favor.

The lawsuit stems from animal cruelty charges that were filed against Flake and his then-wife, Logan Brown, in the dogs' 2014 heat-exhaustion deaths at a suburban Phoenix kennel owned by Brown's parents. The Flakes were caring for the dogs while the in-laws were out of town.

The case against them was dismissed at the request of prosecutors after an expert determined an air conditioner at the kennel failed because the operators didn't properly maintain it. The kennel owners eventually pleaded guilty to animal cruelty charges.

More: http://www.wacotrib.com/news/ap_nation/politics/senator-s-son-to-seek-new-civil-trial-against-joe/article_bd2bae58-dfbd-5505-adc4-f779c06d01f6.html

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Senator's son to seek new civil trial against Joe Arpaio
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 02:57:17 pm »
The son of Jeff 'Flaky' Flake going after Joe Arpaio, a big Trump supporter. Nah, no political witch hunt there.
The Republic is lost.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 04:42:37 pm »
IIRC @Cyber Liberty has the lowdown on that who animal cruelty story.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 04:50:11 pm »
He ain't no fortunate one.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 05:18:44 pm »
IIRC @Cyber Liberty has the lowdown on that who animal cruelty story.

Yes, I can, @txradioguy.  Mrs. Liberty emailed this to me last night.

What initially happened is Jeff Flake's kid, Austin, and Austin's now divorced wife were care-taking an upscale dog kennel in Gilbert called "Green Acres."  In June of 2014, the air conditioning failed in the room housing the dogs, and it got very warm, hot enough to kill all 23 dogs in their care.  In Arizona, outdoor temperatures are typically over 110 F in June.

Arpaio investigated the deaths, and recommended prosecution for 21 counts of animal cruelty, but the Prosecutor moved to dismiss the charges.  There were shenanigans, because the Prosecutor lied to the dog owners about the date of the court appearance where they could make statements, and as a result the Judge threw the case out because nobody was there to testify for the dogs.  No biggie (for the Judge and Prosecutor, anyway).  I think this happened because the sitting Senator pulled strings with the Republican Prosecutor for his kid, but that's just Cyber's opinion. 

(I got the above synopsis from the Bookface page that was created by the group of owners of the dogs, in addition to contemporary news accounts, so YMMV.)

Last December, after it became obvious he was going to lose in the Senate Primary this year and withdrew, he decided to sue Arpaio for malicious prosecution (After all, everybody hates him now, right?), blaming his political fall from grace on the evil Sheriff.  (For those who have not been paying attention, Flake is the Hillary Clinton of the Republican Senate.  Nothing is ever his fault.)  Within a few minutes of the opening of the trial, the Judge dismissed it because it failed on the merits.

The latest story above is Flake is filing to reopen the civil case against Arpaio, claiming evidence was withheld.  I have not looked at the stories about this development, so I can't say if there is any merit to the claims.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 05:23:40 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 05:23:54 pm »
He ain't no fortunate one.

There is a lot of Creedence in that statement
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 05:30:54 pm »
OK, I looked at this story.

FTA:
Last week, Austin Flake's attorney said a graph created by authorities that accurately showed electrical usage dropping inside the kennel wasn't turned over to his client before trial. Montoya said he learned of the chart's existence while questioning a Maricopa County prosecutor during the trial.

The graph undermines authorities' claim that they believed electrical-usage records showed the kennel's air conditioner was working all night, Montoya said.

I don't see this making a difference in the outcome.  There is a discrepancy in when investigators thought the A/C failed.  So what?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: