Author Topic: Trey Gowdy: ‘I don’t have a lot to show for the last seven years’  (Read 769 times)

Offline endicom

Market Watch
Tim Rostan
Apr. 9, 2018

‘Depending on how you judge the purpose of the Benghazi investigation, I think a lot of people would say I was a loser.’

That’s South Carolina Republican Trey Gowdy, elected to the House in the tea-party wave of 2010, on having been called a loser by then–presidential candidate Donald Trump.

The remark from the retiring congressman, who’s counting down his final journeys between his home state and the District of Columbia, came in a Gowdy interview with Vice News that aired this week on HBO.

More... https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trey-gowdy-i-dont-have-a-lot-to-show-for-the-last-seven-years-2018-04-08

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I've never been a big fan of applying the label "loser" to people, but I will say that I viewed his overall performance a "disappointment."  He certainly was not helped by people like McCarthy, but he was pretty soft on Obama people in the investigations he chaired.  He was known for being creative in puncturing the political arguments from the Rats, but he seemed to lose that edge as soon as he was placed into a position to actually do something about it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
That boy was all hat and no cattle.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline endicom

I've never been a big fan of applying the label "loser" to people, but I will say that I viewed his overall performance a "disappointment."  He certainly was not helped by people like McCarthy, but he was pretty soft on Obama people in the investigations he chaired.  He was known for being creative in puncturing the political arguments from the Rats, but he seemed to lose that edge as soon as he was placed into a position to actually do something about it.

A question I have about Pubs like Gowdy, Issa and Nunes is do they get any backing when they try to do something? Have they been stymied by leaders like Boehner, Ryan and McConnell?

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Market Watch
Tim Rostan
Apr. 9, 2018

‘Depending on how you judge the purpose of the Benghazi investigation, I think a lot of people would say I was a loser.’

Squad Leader of the Lost Opportunities Batallion
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Congress is not a one man band. I'm not sure what they can do if the leadership drags it's feet and does nothing.
The Republic is lost.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
You can avoid finding anything if you know where not to look!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

If the House is lost in fall and everyone looks back for a post mortem, people like Gowdy running their mouths yet getting nothing done should be the primary cause.

Offline dfwgator

That boy was all hat and no cattle.

The Kabuki King

Offline Night Hides Not

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
The Republican Party doesn't have a lot to show for the last 7 years either, except to make ObamaCare their own and fund most of the Democrat agenda, while writing trillion-dollar omnibus deficit spending bills in secret and voting on them without anyone having time to read them.

Which is the same thing that happened when the Democrats ran the show.

So yeah - Captain Obvious - you and your party have nothing to show for all the power you were handed.

So, this Fall will likely be 2006 Deja Vu.

Deservedly so.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Night Hides Not

The Republican Party doesn't have a lot to show for the last 7 years either, except to make ObamaCare their own and fund most of the Democrat agenda, while writing trillion-dollar omnibus deficit spending bills in secret and voting on them without anyone having time to read them.

Which is the same thing that happened when the Democrats ran the show.

So yeah - Captain Obvious - you and your party have nothing to show for all the power you were handed.

So, this Fall will likely be 2006 Deja Vu.

Deservedly so.

@INVAR the specter of a Democrat tidal wave looms, if only for one reason...the despising of Trump. Democrat voters will turn out in November to vote against Trump. DNC won't need any money for that, just as the Chamber of Commerce $$$ was not needed to get the TEA Party out in 2010. In fact, the CofC money was used not to defeat Democrats, but to defeat TEA Party candidates.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
@INVAR the specter of a Democrat tidal wave looms, if only for one reason...the despising of Trump. Democrat voters will turn out in November to vote against Trump. DNC won't need any money for that, just as the Chamber of Commerce $$$ was not needed to get the TEA Party out in 2010. In fact, the CofC money was used not to defeat Democrats, but to defeat TEA Party candidates.

I know what CofC and McConnell did to destroy the grassroots Tea Parties out here.

That was when I woke up and realized that the Republican Party was as corrupt, evil and wholly statist as the Democrats were.  Their rules changing at the last two conventions to lock out any possibility of a grassroots conservative getting the nomination of their party confirmed it for me.

The Tea Party was  a direct threat to the crony-fascist gravy train in D.C. - and the Republican Party leadership was key to dismantling it.  McConnell's open demands for us to sit down and shut up or get punched in the nose - was simply the Statist mask he wears, falling a little.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Night Hides Not

I know what CofC and McConnell did to destroy the grassroots Tea Parties out here.

That was when I woke up and realized that the Republican Party was as corrupt, evil and wholly statist as the Democrats were.  Their rules changing at the last two conventions to lock out any possibility of a grassroots conservative getting the nomination of their party confirmed it for me.

The Tea Party was  a direct threat to the crony-fascist gravy train in D.C. - and the Republican Party leadership was key to dismantling it.  McConnell's open demands for us to sit down and shut up or get punched in the nose - was simply the Statist mask he wears, falling a little.

Sounds like we've been having the same conversations with Francisco d'Anconia...lol

Now that the weather's improving, and I can resume my walks of 7-12 miles, it's a good time to dust off my audio book of Atlas Shrugged. The reader does a great job of bring it to life, even makes John Galt's speech inspiring.