Author Topic: Roadside strip search by NJ state trooper in NJ draws protest and legal action  (Read 508 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

© Jamie Squire/Getty Images A New Jersey State Police trooper looks on in East Rutherford, New Jersey on February 2, 2014.
A body-cam video that shows a New Jersey state trooper conducting a roadside strip search has raised questions about how far law enforcement officers are permitted to go during a traffic stop.
Trooper Joseph Drew pulled a car over for tailgating and said he smelled marijuana. When a search of the car turned up nothing, he handcuffed the driver and told him to step out of the vehicle.
"You can tell me where it is right now or I can go in and get it," Drew says on the video.
The trooper is then seen pulling on blue latex gloves, reaching into the driver's underwear, and groping his genitals and buttocks while the two stand on Route 206 in Southampton, Burlington County. All the while, trucks and cars pass by on the busy highway.
The driver, a 23-year-old Toms River, N.J., man, insisted several times he had no marijuana and said he doubted such a search was legal.
No drugs were found in the man's car or on his body, and in the end he was issued a ticket for tailgating. The driver has filed notice of intention to sue, alleging that he was sexually assaulted and that his civil rights were violated.
In the video, the driver can be heard protesting that he is being sexually assaulted as the trooper repeatedly touches his genitals during a four-minute search of the man's underwear.
Earlier, the trooper checked the man's pockets and socks and ordered him to turn over drugs, the video shows. Then he told him, "If you think this is the worst I'm going to do, you have another thing coming, my friend."
Experts in policing were critical of the trooper's actions.
Maria Haberfeld, a professor of policing and police ethics at John Jay College of Criminal Justice and an author of several books on the subject, said the search was unwarranted.
"To reach into someone's underwear, it has to be for a really good reason, not for marijuana," she said. "In the times when marijuana has been legalized in state after state, this is some kind of erratic police behavior – and it's very much about discretion, so even if you can do things, should you be doing them?"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/roadside-strip-search-by-nj-state-trooper-in-nj-draws-protest-and-legal-action/ar-AAvDdYx?ocid=spartandhp
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I've heard and read stories like this for years. But they all involved male LEOs abusing pretty young girls. This is the first man on man groping that I have read about. I'm sure there have been a lot of them, but I can only assume that they are usually frivolous and don't generally make the news.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Frank Cannon

Yeah this is an outrage and this cop should be fired and NJ sued.........but this is the biggest outrage for me. What the hell type of garbage title is this? NJ state trooper in NJ? Where exactly would a NJ trooper be conducting his business? Nebraska?

I guess they only teach social justice outrage in journalism school these days and not constructing decent articles.