Author Topic: Scientists Think Cockroach Milk Could Be The Next Superfood, And We Wish We Were Kidding  (Read 810 times)

rangerrebew

Scientists Think Cockroach Milk Could Be The Next Superfood, And We Wish We Were Kidding

Move over kale.
JACINTA BOWLER
7 APR 2018

An international team of scientists sequenced a protein crystal located in the midgut of cockroaches in 2016. The reason?

It's more than four times as nutritious as cow's milk and the researchers think it could be the key to feeding our growing population in the future.

Although most cockroaches don't actually produce milk, Diploptera punctate, which is the only known cockroach to give birth to live young, has been shown to pump out a type of 'milk' containing protein crystals to feed its babies.

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-think-we-should-start-drinking-cockroach-milk-superfood

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How 'bout that. Now they can have ranches in town, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I doubt it will catch on very much. The milk is not as sweet as we are used to, and it spoils too quickly. IMO
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I doubt it will catch on very much. The milk is not as sweet as we are used to, and it spoils too quickly. IMO
Maybe they will make cheese out of it.... :shrug: or justify cockroach parts as a 'protein supplement'.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:44:28 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Maybe they will make cheese out of it.... :shrug: or justify cockroach parts as a 'protein supplement'.

I don't know. If you look at the calculations you need about 10,000,000 roaches just to bake a small cake.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I don't know. If you look at the calculations you need about 10,000,000 roaches just to bake a small cake.
Shiite, that's what, one immigrant apartment? There be a plenty of cockroaches then Amigo! I lived in some apartments a couple of years ago, first time in forty years, and the units were actually nice and the maintenance guys did great work...........buuuuut, there were so many immigrants(mus have been a section 8 designation) that the maintenance guys couldn't keep up with the trash everywhere. There were only 99 units but half at least were living like Tijuana and no matter how clean we were there were roaches everywhere, yeah that kind too! We got the hell out as soon as the lease was up.

NOT MY APARTMENT

Offline RoosGirl

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Remember when?

'Why do we not try drinking rat's milk, cat's milk or dog's milk?' wondered Heather Mills, articulating the thoughts of a nation quite frankly bored to tears by the milk of ruminants.

https://hpjmh.com/2012/02/21/want-more-protein-from-milk-rats-milk-is-your-answer/

http://www.vegsource.com/j-morris-hicks/want-more-protein-from-milk-rats-milk-is-your-answer.html