Author Topic: Clear Evidence that Applauding Every Dumb Move Trump Makes Is Bad for Conservative Principles  (Read 1518 times)

Offline corbe

Clear Evidence that Applauding Every Dumb Move Trump Makes Is Bad for Conservative Principles

Posted at 3:00 pm on April 7, 2018 by Patterico

Remember the omnibus? That’s the garbage legislation drafted in secret by turncoat Republican leadership and foisted on Donald “I’ll sign anything” Trump at the last moment. Axios has an amusing if ultimately contentless piece, based (as these pieces tend to be) entirely on anonymous sources, describing Trump’s grousing post-omnibus. The piece is titled Trump’s freak-out moment:
We can’t overstate the severity of President Trump’s buyer’s remorse from signing last month’s spending bill. It could even be a turning point in his presidency, on the issue of immigration and his level of cooperation with Republican leaders; Sources who’ve discussed it with Trump say it freaked him out to see the array of usually friendly faces on Fox News’ opinion shows ripping into him for signing a bill that spent a ton of money, but gave lots away to liberal priorities and did little for his signature promise to build a wall.

<..snip..>

https://www.redstate.com/patterico/2018/04/07/clear-evidence-applauding-every-dumb-move-trump-makes-bad-conservative-principles/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I tire of both the EverTrumper and NeverTrumper crowd. Not everything he does is 33rd dimensional chess, or is he a perpetual dastardly sonofabitch. He's done good things and he's screwed up royally. That's called reality, which is where those of us in adult land live.

What I do get rankled up about is the constant afterthought given to Ryan and McConnell, much like this article does, to focus on Trump. Separate but equal is how our govt is designed. If you can't get your head around that, maybe reevaluate your conservatism. Trump should have never been put into a position to sign that bill, and while he's culpable, foisting something on him like that while the clock is ticking is equally culpable.
The Republic is lost.

Offline DB

I tire of both the EverTrumper and NeverTrumper crowd. Not everything he does is 33rd dimensional chess, or is he a perpetual dastardly sonofabitch. He's done good things and he's screwed up royally. That's called reality, which is where those of us in adult land live.

What I do get rankled up about is the constant afterthought given to Ryan and McConnell, much like this article does, to focus on Trump. Separate but equal is how our govt is designed. If you can't get your head around that, maybe reevaluate your conservatism. Trump should have never been put into a position to sign that bill, and while he's culpable, foisting something on him like that while the clock is ticking is equally culpable.

Trump campaigned to give Ryan and McConnell the leaderships of congress immediately after he won the Presidency.

That's the simple reality of it. So yes, Trump is directly responsible for this crap.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

He signed it.  A bill crafted in secret and passed into "law" without enough time for those who voted for it to read it.  The Trumplican Party every bit as corrupt and devious as the Democrat party was when they did the same thing with Obamacare.

Trump signed it anyway because he wanted 'the win'.

I guess we're supposed to think that the buck does not stop with Trump because it never got there?

The entire Trumplican Party is responsible for exponentially funding the Democrat agenda under the guise of funding the military (which Trump authorized via signing the CR back on February 9th) while spending us into further oblivion.

Applauding every dumb move that the Republican Party and Trump now make, is bad for Conservatism - which has been rendered politically irrelevant by the same.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Concerned

There’s no question Trump has done some good things (e.g., regulations, judges, ISIS) and some bad things (e.g., huge deficit spending, Omni Spending Bill, tariffs).  I’d love to see more objectivity by both Ever Trumpers and Never Trumpers; however, I think the President of the United States deserves a disproportionate amount of the blame/credit by the nature of the leadership position he holds. 

This is even more true in Trump’s case though because he ran on being the “great deal maker” and “only I can fix it” guy and that he was going to “drain the swamp”.   He’s had ample opportunity to make deals from “repeal and replace” to DACA yet he’s come up small on “great deal making” IMO.  This was an area I had really hoped he could excel in:  getting disparate parties together and creatively finding out-of-the-box solutions for them to reach consensus during negotiations.   Unfortunately it doesn't appear to me that he has either the attention span or the attention to detail to actually be a great "deal maker". 

He apparently found out how bad the Omnibus Spending Bill was after signing it by watching TV.  Yikes!  Had he vetoed the Omnibus Spending Bill, then he could have been the “only I can fix it” guy to me yet he signed that albatross.  As for the swamp, is it being drained or is it more swampy under his Administration?  There’s an awful lot of excess spending, stupid travel, and lobbyists still freely enjoying a dip in the swamp IMO.  Sure, McConnell and Ryan should get plenty of blame, but they didn’t run on being the only guy who can fix DC.  The leader of the Republican Party current occupant of the White House ran on that, and DC certainly doesn’t seem fixed to me or even on a path to being fixed.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
Sorry guys, Separate but Equal, that's how our Constitution works, and we are constitutional conservatives. I don't get caught up in personalities, the political speak, or the breathless hype of the reporting media. Everyone in the DC GOP had a hand in this, equally. I will neither stick Trump with all of it nor wash his hands either. The Presidency is not a monarchy, nor is the office given that power, nor will I.

I will continue to spread the blame around to them all and wash my hands of all them.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 09:24:08 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Following Red State and letting those goobers define what is conservative is bad for conservatism.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

One of the best posts written anywhere.

:patriot:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Trump campaigned to give Ryan and McConnell the leaderships of congress immediately after he won the Presidency.

No, he campaigned to keep Pelosi and Schumer away from the Speakership and Majority Leader, respectively.  The GOP members of the House and Senate, not Trump, decide who they wanted to lead their respective houses.

Offline berdie

The buck stops with Trump.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline DB

No, he campaigned to keep Pelosi and Schumer away from the Speakership and Majority Leader, respectively.  The GOP members of the House and Senate, not Trump, decide who they wanted to lead their respective houses.

Wrong.

Republicans had a majority in both houses after Trump was elected. Trump pushed to have McConnell and Ryan lead the Republican controlled congress. There were other Republicans to choose from you know...

Online Right_in_Virginia

Wrong.

Republicans had a majority in both houses after Trump was elected. Trump pushed to have McConnell and Ryan lead the Republican controlled congress. There were other Republicans to choose from you know...

Except the POTUS doesn't get to choose them.  You know ....

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical

The buck stops with Trump.

Sorry, but Harry Truman didn't write our Constitution.
The Republic is lost.

Offline DB

Except he played a substantial part in their selection. He lobbied Republicans to choose them. We pointed out that that was a big mistake when he was doing it. That you can't "drain the swamp" by choosing the swamp leaders. And this is the result we warned you about.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !

That's the simple reality of it. So yes, Trump is directly responsible for this crap.

Never forget. Thanks for the reminder.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !

But he does get to choose who to push for from a bully pit... You know....
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....