Author Topic: Homeland Security to compile database of journalists and ‘media influencers’  (Read 1234 times)

Offline kevindavis007

The Department of Homeland Security wants to track the comings and going of journalists, bloggers and other “media influencers” through a database.

The DHS’s “Media Monitoring” plan, which was first reported by FedBizOpps.gov, would give the contracting company “24/7 access to a password protected, media influencer database, including journalists, editors, correspondents, social media influencers, bloggers etc.” in order to “identify any and all media coverage related to the Department of Homeland Security or a particular event.”

The database would be designed to monitor the public activities of media members and influencers by “location, beat and influencers,” the document says.

Read More: https://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/homeland-security-to-compile-database-of-journalists-and-media-influencers/
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

Offline kevindavis007

Scary.

It is very wrong regardless ANY administration.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

It is very wrong regardless ANY administration.
I agree. Register 'pens'? Swords are next, if this crap goes.

I may not agree with what they say, but I will fight to ensure their (and my) right to say it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Liberals will love this when they gain power again.

Offline Applewood

Somebody's got some 'splainin' to do.  Who authorized/ordered this?   Ok, DHS, but who at DHS?  Or someone outside the agency?    Is this one of Trump's harebrained ideas?

It's wrong.  Just wrong.

Offline kevindavis007

Liberals will love this when they gain power again.

This is worse than the Fairness Doctrine..

Offline kevindavis007

Somebody's got some 'splainin' to do.  Who authorized/ordered this?   Ok, DHS, but who at DHS?  Or someone outside the agency?    Is this one of Trump's harebrained ideas?

It's wrong.  Just wrong.

Who ever authorized this should be fired..

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Wait...isn't the forum's resident gun-grabber for this concerning firearms?  Shouldn't there be insurance?  It's the responsible thing to do....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I wonder what Sharyl Attkisson has to say about this.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

Who ever authorized this should be fired..

My hunch is this was Trump's idea.  He doesn't like all that fake news.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
This is very troubling and coming from a Repub Admin....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Scary.
If true,  yes, it's a really really bad idea.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
If true,  yes, it's a really really bad idea.

I'm having difficulty believing it myself, but it could be fun.  I always thought Journolist served this purpose. :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Scary.

Are we talking about a dictatorship here instead of US President that has to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America? 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
This is very troubling and coming from a Repub Admin....

Yes, but this Republican administration hasn't changed a whole lot from those Republicans in the last administration.  The RINO's that were in place then, for the most part are still in place now. Yes Bammy was at the helm, but the GOP held the majority.  THEY let him get away with all his overreach, and stood silently by as they witnessed all the corruption.  Different person at the helm now, players are them same, and not a whole lot has changed. 

Yes, it is very troubling.  In fact, it is downright frightening.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Are we talking about a dictatorship here instead of US President that has to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America?

Something along those lines, though were not sure where the directive came from on this.  Nonetheless, the DHS is much too large to contain and they have been given way too much power.

It appears that we now are starting to blatantly see signs of the corruption within the DHS.  So, who is going to reign them in?  Our corrupt DOJ? 

Offline Chosen Daughter

Something along those lines, though were not sure where the directive came from on this.  Nonetheless, the DHS is much too large to contain and they have been given way too much power.

It appears that we now are starting to blatantly see signs of the corruption within the DHS.  So, who is going to reign them in?  Our corrupt DOJ?

I wonder what was in the Hitler book that Donald kept on his night stand for evening reading?  I know people get upset with this but his wife said it a long time ago.  Every President gets negative press.  The Fake News thing has been building since campaign.  I am sure some is fake news as there always has been.  But this is getting scary.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yes, but this Republican administration hasn't changed a whole lot from those Republicans in the last administration.  The RINO's that were in place then, for the most part are still in place now. Yes Bammy was at the helm, but the GOP held the majority.  THEY let him get away with all his overreach, and stood silently by as they witnessed all the corruption.  Different person at the helm now, players are them same, and not a whole lot has changed. 

Yes, it is very troubling.  In fact, it is downright frightening.
Agreed--from any administration, as it is a departure from Constitutional principles.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Something to think about on a Saturday night.

"In the First Amendment the Founding Fathers gave the free press the protection it must have to fulfill its essential role in our democracy. The press was to serve the governed, not the governors. The Government's power to censor the press was abolished so that the press would remain forever free to censure the Government. The press was protected so that it could bare the secrets of government and inform the people. Only a free and unrestrained press can effectively expose deception in government."

Justice Hugo Black concurring in New York Times Co. v. United States, 1971.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Something to think about on a Saturday night.

"In the First Amendment the Founding Fathers gave the free press the protection it must have to fulfill its essential role in our democracy. The press was to serve the governed, not the governors. The Government's power to censor the press was abolished so that the press would remain forever free to censure the Government. The press was protected so that it could bare the secrets of government and inform the people. Only a free and unrestrained press can effectively expose deception in government."

Justice Hugo Black concurring in New York Times Co. v. United States, 1971.

"Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people, who have...a right, an indisputable, unalienable, indefeasible, divine right to that most dreaded and envied kind of knowledge, I mean the characters and conduct of their rulers."
   - John Adams

Offline mountaineer

The DHS’s “Media Monitoring” plan, which was first reported by FedBizOpps.gov ...
Is that a legit news site?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Is that a legit news site?

It's not a news site.  That site is a government website showing contracts available with the feds.  They often seek private firms to fulfill needs, give an overview of what they require, and allow potential contractors to submit their bids.  The information is legit.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:46:19 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.