Author Topic: The Battle of Woke Island: The New York Times, Kevin Williamson, and the politics of the campus  (Read 461 times)

Offline mountaineer

The Battle of Woke Island
Matthew Continetti
Washington Free Beacon
April 6, 2018
Toward the end of Vanity Fair‘s story on the "woke civil war" at the New York Times came this revealing detail: To assuage employees concerned that the paper is not as progressive and socially conscious as it could or should be, publisher A.G. Sulzberger, opinion editor James Bennet, and others have been "holding office hours" where internal critics speak freely. ...

Here, then, is yet another example of how the politics and rhetoric of the university have slowly colonized America's economic, cultural, and political institutions, how recent graduates are carrying with them into the workforce all the bad ideas they learned from their humanities courses, independent research, and campus programming. I am talking about the modes and categories of identity politics, of viewing all human phenomena through the prism of race and gender (and sometimes, though rarely, of class), of robbing individual human beings of their moral agency and reducing them to membership in a group, and of organizing these groups into a hierarchy of victimization and grievance.

In the world of the campus, one's status and moral authority increases with the number of victim groups in which one claims membership.  ...
Rest of article at Free Beacon

The Vanity Fair article is “Journalism Is Not About Creating Safe Spaces”: Inside the Woke Civil War at The New York Times -  catalyzed by the Trump presidency, roiled by flash points like Glenn Thrush, Bret Stephens, and Bari Weiss, a generational conflict not seen since the 60s is besetting the Times."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

It will be interesting to see where KW goes now. I don't know if he can go back to NR or even if he wants to.  His articles were frequently on the outrageous side whether you agreed with him or not....and I had my share of disagreements with some of his articles. I'm not for executing women who've had abortions.
His views on many things are basically on the libertarian/conservative side, but for the egegious sin of despising Trump, Williamson receives a great deal of hate from erstwhile conservatives.
Liberals hate him not so much for the "violent" things he wrote, but I would guess for the suspicion he would make too much sense and they'd have to abandon their liberalism.