Author Topic: "We May Take A Hit": Trump Warns Investors To Prepare For "Pain" In The Market  (Read 2114 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: ZERO HEDGE

URL: https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-04-06/we-may-take-hit-trump-warns-investors-prepare-pain-market

Two days ago, when we commented on the early morning plunge in stocks (which was subsequently fully reversed by the close in a historic 800 point Dow reversal), we said that a long-standing question - will Trump pick plunging stocks or trade war - had finally gotten its answer when CNBC's Eamon Javers said that a "White House official said the the WH recognizes that Trump’s actions are hitting the stock market, but this is “a longer term thing,” and the president has to follow through on a key campaign promise."

Moments ago, Trump himself confirmed that when in a radio interview on Friday morning, the president said that U.S. markets could face some “pain’’ from the trade standoff with China and other countries, but - like on Wednesday - asserted that in the long-run, Americans would be better off due to his protectionist actions.

Speaking on WABC Radio's “Bernie & Sid in the Morning’’ program, Trump said "I’m not saying there won’t be a little pain so we might lose a little of it but we’re going to have a much stronger country when we’re finished, and that’s what I’m all about.’

"We have to do things that other people wouldn’t do. So we may take a hit, but you know what, ultimately we’re going to be much stronger for it,’’ Trump said during the radio interview on Friday. “It’s something we had to do, and ultimately if you take a look it’s not only trade with China - it’s everybody."

To be sure, stocks have fluctuated dramatically in the past few weeks when Trump drastically intensified trade actions and jawboning against several countries, mostly China. Indicating that he is willing to accept some notable losses in the S&P, Trump said in the interview Friday that “the market’s gone up 40% or 42%.” Which suggests that the president would be ok with a drop of 20% or so if it means winning trade war against China.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline endicom

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Taking a hit?  Predictions are now at best a 40% hit!  I don't know about anyone else, but that wipes out our retirement! 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline SirLinksALot

Regarding the question of WHO will have the advantage in the long run when a trade war occurs.... Here's how I see it...

We should not just be looking at this as a business/economic/trade war.

The reality is, whether we like it or not, POLITICS is heavily involved here.

Let’s look at the business side of this first.

Business-wise, China has more to lose economically in an all-out trade war. The Chinese economy is dependent on exports, and nearly 20 percent of its exports go to the U.S. It sold $506 billion in stuff and services to the U.S. last year. In contrast, the U.S. only sold $130 billion to the Chinese.

Now let’s look at the POLITICS of this...

This is NOT just an economic fight, it’s also political, and there’s a strong case that Trump would be less able to sustain a protracted conflict than the Chinese — especially with the 2018 midterm elections coming soon.

Xi Jinping runs a communist country that has just granted him the ability to rule for life. He controls the media in his country and is also sitting on top of about $3 trillion in surplus cash.

All of this means Xi can react quickly to Trump. He can even aid Chinese companies that get hurt in the coming months and subsidize soybean prices so Chinese consumers don’t face massive sticker shock at the store. The Chinese used similar tactics during the global financial crisis of 2008 and 2009, spending heavily from their surplus reserves to stimulate their economy and insulate their people from pain. The Chinese cash reserves are not as large now, but they still have more than the U.S. does.

Trump doesn’t have it so easy. He’s already getting phone calls from Republican lawmakers who are angry at what he’s doing with the tariffs. He faces backlash from Wall Street, from executives of companies such as Boeing and from soybean farmers in the Midwest, many of whom voted for Trump and feel betrayed. Some GOP leaders fear Trump’s actions could cost the party seats in the 2018 midterm elections.

I don’t even have to mention the Democrats who are just itching to hurt Trump.

And here's the other thing --- the Chinese aren’t constrained by the rule of law or a representative democracy.

In terms of hurt, the Chinese government is NOT as compassionate to its citizens as the USA is and their pain tolerance I would surmise, is MUCH HIGHER than Americans when it comes to economic deprivation as a huge section of their citizenry are used to it compared to ours.

Let's not even talk about China stopping cooperating on North Korea as they seem to be doing before this tariff brouhaha was brought up.

This is one campaign promise I was hoping Trump would not fulfill.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

For a more considered view of it: http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,311054.new.html#new
So the tariff on steel is to address Intellectual Property rights?  Like Disney only getting 2 billion per movie?  That's why my taco is going to cost double?

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
So the tariff on steel is to address Intellectual Property rights?  Like Disney only getting 2 billion per movie?  That's why my taco is going to cost double?

You need to eat healthier anyway.  You'd make a great Vegan.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Concerned

I'm actually reassured to hear him actually recognize that the markets aren't looking positively on his threatened tariff policy.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Remember when we had another tough minded President? How did that work out?

! No longer available

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I'm actually reassured to hear him actually recognize that the markets aren't looking positively on his threatened tariff policy.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
Remember when we had another tough minded President? How did that work out?

The largest tax increase in history as I recall... :whistle:

Offline Atenez

It's not very hard at all,

What's hard is making it feel Hard.

You can't understand what I'm saying.

Eminence Front

! No longer available

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
It's not very hard at all,

What's hard is making it feel Hard.

You can't understand what I'm saying.

Eminence Front

It's a put on??

Offline Atenez

I was born in a welfare state

Ruled by bureaucracy

Controlled by civil servants and people

Dressed in gray

Got no privacy

Got no liberty

Because, the 20th century people

took it all

away from me.

20th Century Man

! No longer available

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
I was born in a welfare state

Ruled by bureaucracy

Controlled by civil servants and people

Dressed in gray

Got no privacy

Got no liberty

Because, the 20th century people

took it all

away from me.

20th Century Man

Prescient, huh?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Yet the current relationship between China and the U.S. needs to be disrupted. Chinese theft of intellectual property is sapping American innovation and therefore America’s economy. The IP Commission, in a 2017 update (PDF) to its landmark 2013 report, estimates the U.S. each year loses somewhere between $225 billion to $600 billion in intellectual property through predatory means. It almost goes without saying that most of that loss is, directly or indirectly, to China....

If Washington is not going to help create the technologies of the future, it at least has to protect what the private sector in the United States develops. No one likes trade friction, but after decades of failing to stop Chinese theft, there are no more no-cost solutions. And there is now no choice but to impose costs on China greater than the benefits it obtains from theft.

As Trump said, this is not a trade war. This is a contest for control of critical technologies, in other words, for the future.

More:  https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-right-to-say-hes-not-launching-a-trade-war-with-china-hes-doing-something-bigger

Offline DB

Tariffs on iron and aluminum is not protecting technology. Tariffs don't do that period.

This is just an excuse to justify tariffs that is illogical with any actual thought about it.

If the government wants to stop technology theft then go after the people who they let in the country that do it. Vet and track Chinese citizens that come here. Regarding stupid American companies that provide China with technology when they setup shop there, there isn't much government can do about that if it isn't related to defense/national security.

Few believe this is not a trade war. 

So?  I'm not real impressed with what many believe.   :shrug:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 11:11:16 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Neither is Trump.

Offline Fantom

Heh.... @DCPatriot   Who knew we would switch positions..... EH Pocket Pool, Transmogrification indeed.  :thud:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

Neither is Trump.

This is a good thing.  Most people are wrong.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline corbe

Truly, @Right_in_Virginia I get that but there are many here that are not impressed with what you Trumpers believe, either.  /JS 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Fantom

Taking a hit?  Predictions are now at best a 40% hit!  I don't know about anyone else, but that wipes out our retirement!

@libertybele
Where do you get that from?  With all the hysteria.... trade war/bad jobs number, the market fell what two-three %. From the all-time high we are barely  into correction range.  Profits are projected at 16% gain overall, the market will follow that.

Enjoy the show. These are interesting times. The timid might want to pull out and place their funds into T-Bills...... at 3% thirty year.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

Truly, @Right_in_Virginia I get that but there are many here that are not impressed with what you Trumpers believe, either.  /JS

How did T-Town work out? Well I hope, did you get yourself a pastrami?

Frederick Douglass

Relax.  Believe it or not there are opinions outside this forum and you.