Author Topic: Kasich’s big 2020 strategy: Move left, pretend to be hip, attack Trump  (Read 8139 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Roos wrote:
I just thank God that we're past the "not voting for X is a vote for Y".

I'm not "past it".

I think I will petition for your account to be frozen.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine

LOL.  If I were as brilliant as Peterson, I could express it as clearly as he did. 

But, this is a pretty good review:

That chapter is titled “Stand up straight with your shoulders back” and counsels readers to learn to stand up for themselves by, metaphorically speaking, embracing their inner lobster. The lobster, Peterson argues, shares many of the same neurological structures as its human cousin, especially those areas of the brain concerned with social hierarchies. Studies show that lobsters who lose enough fights (inter-lobster conflict being common on the ocean floor) and therefore lose their social status, stop producing serotonin, which leads to deep depression.

In other words, lobsters, like humans, become clinically depressed as they tumble down the social hierarchy. The lesson derived by Peterson is the need to change your self-destructive habits and take control of your life, thereby improving your social status and brain chemistry.

This does not mean joining a lobster-style fight club. Peterson draws on reams of studies to show that fundamental changes to personal habits such as sleep and exercise schedules can dramatically improve serotonin levels, thereby increasing the chance of personal success and fulfilment. From there he draws in stories from world mythology and religious texts to show that humans derive great meaning from overcoming psychological and social obstacles....

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/books/2018/01/22/jordan-peterson-on-embracing-your-inner-lobster-in-12-rules-for-life.html

Offline RoosGirl

LOL.  If I were as brilliant as Peterson, I could express it as clearly as he did. 

But, this is a pretty good review:

Seems like it can be summed up as "Fake it 'til you make it." 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Roos wrote:

I'm not "past it".

I've become a "party-ideological" voter.

I vote for the Republicans because I do what I must to (at least try) to prevent the democrat-communist candidate from winning.

I realize that -- in most cases -- a vote for any third-party candidate only INCREASES the possibility that the dem-communist candidate will win.

There are very, very few cases in which I WOULD NOT vote for the Republican candidate. For example, if I lived in Paul Ryan's district I would probably refrain from voting for him, that he might lose and we would be rid of him. I would NOT vote for the democrat-communist, but just withhold my vote altogether.

I cannot conceive of a situation in which I would ever vote (directly) for a democrat-communist candidate again.

Having written that, I'm not "Republican party über alles". Considering the state the party is in right now, I would prefer "a third way". But once again, Fishrrman's credo intrudes:
"Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe it to be".

And that's why I vote the way I do.
Well said.

3,000,000 new jobs, ISIS on the ropes if not down and out, maybe North Korea to denuclearize. This is probably the best vote of my life; and I know, I must pray that these good things continue.

Offline Frank Cannon

Has anyone read Jordan Peterson's book, specifically the lobster part?  Really enlightening.

Was that the part where you should stuff and broil instead of boil a late summer catch of lobster because it will add to the flavor profile? I totally agree.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Seems like it can be summed up as "Fake it 'til you make it."

There's a lot more to it.  It also helps explain why when you're down, it's very hard to break free, and why people on the bottom tend to make poor decisions.

Offline RoosGirl

Was that the part where you should stuff and broil instead of boil a late summer catch of lobster because it will add to the flavor profile? I totally agree.

Ohh, I'm coming to your house for dinner.

Offline Frank Cannon

If you're going to start personally attacking me, you can go to Rochester for all I care, because unlike you, I don't hide behind a screen name. So F off.

First of all, hiding behind a screen name on a nebulous forum is Message Board Safety 101. I don't know who any of you people are, except for you of course. I'm sure there is an extortionist or identity thief somewhere around here.

As for the personal attack, that's bullshit. That screed is an overall indictment of what I find wrong with the mindset of people today. I am in a people business and I listen to excuses and bullshit all day long about why rent is late and their lives are shit. I tell them the same thing to their face as the Sheriff is hauling their belongings to the curb during an eviction. Life sucks. Why make it suck more by not trying to improve it and there is only one person that can do that.....you.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
@Sanguine  Thanks for the book recommendation -- Scott Peterson sounds very interesting! 

As far as Kasich goes, he was one Republican I actually considered during the 2016 primaries -- before his recent shift on gun policy.  We disagreed on some issues, but I felt like he was "reasonable".
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine  Thanks for the book recommendation -- Scott Peterson sounds very interesting! 

As far as Kasich goes, he was one Republican I actually considered during the 2016 primaries -- before his recent shift on gun policy.  We disagreed on some issues, but I felt like he was "reasonable".

Laura, you're welcome.  Let me know what you think if you read it.

And, yes, Kasich is reasonable for a leftist.  Not sure why he identifies as someone on the other side of the dividing line - the side that believes in the rule of law, the bounds set by the Constitution, etc.  But, then I wonder about a number of so called republicans.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Roos wrote:

I'm not "past it".

I've become a "party-ideological" voter.

I vote for the Republicans because I do what I must to (at least try) to prevent the democrat-communist candidate from winning.

I realize that -- in most cases -- a vote for any third-party candidate only INCREASES the possibility that the dem-communist candidate will win.

There are very, very few cases in which I WOULD NOT vote for the Republican candidate. For example, if I lived in Paul Ryan's district I would probably refrain from voting for him, that he might lose and we would be rid of him. I would NOT vote for the democrat-communist, but just withhold my vote altogether.

I cannot conceive of a situation in which I would ever vote (directly) for a democrat-communist candidate again.

Having written that, I'm not "Republican party über alles". Considering the state the party is in right now, I would prefer "a third way". But once again, Fishrrman's credo intrudes:
"Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe it to be".

And that's why I vote the way I do.

Hey, I have a question.  Suppose I die tomorrow in a horrible industrial meat-grinder accident, and can't vote in November because 1) I'm dead, and 2) don't live in Chicago.

Does my non-vote in November mean that I voted for the Democrat?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Maj. Bill wrote:
"Does my non-vote in November mean that I voted for the Democrat?"

No.
It just means that you're dead.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Maj. Bill wrote:
"Does my non-vote in November mean that I voted for the Democrat?"

No.
It just means that you're dead.

Well he can still vote.  Democrat.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Victoria33 said she voted for Hillary?

She said that in 2020, if Trump is running again, she would not be voting for him, but would be looking pretty hard at the Dem candidate.  If the Dem is anything like the past several, she would probably go third party.  The post you are responding to looks a lot like the old "A vote for anybody but Trump is a vote for Hillary" argument.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline RoosGirl

She said that in 2020, if Trump is running again, she would not be voting for him, but would be looking pretty hard at the Dem candidate.  If the Dem is anything like the past several, she would probably go third party.  The post you are responding to looks a lot like the old "A vote for anybody but Trump is a vote for Hillary" argument.

That ain't all she said.  See Post #29.

Offline LauraTXNM

Laura, you're welcome.  Let me know what you think if you read it.

And, yes, Kasich is reasonable for a leftist.  Not sure why he identifies as someone on the other side of the dividing line - the side that believes in the rule of law, the bounds set by the Constitution, etc.  But, then I wonder about a number of so called republicans.

@Sanguine Kasich is basically far too conservative about abortion to ever qualify as a Leftist or probably even a Democrat.  At this point, anyone who signs anti-abortion laws is a Republican.

This is a political distinction I think the Democrats need to rethink.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline aligncare

Hey, I have a question.  Suppose I die tomorrow in a horrible industrial meat-grinder accident, and can't vote in November because 1) I'm dead, and 2) don't live in Chicago.

Does my non-vote in November mean that I voted for the Democrat?

Republicans have a duty not to die. Because sure as certainty if they do, their name will show up on the voter rolls as having switched parties and voted Democrat in the last election.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine Kasich is basically far too conservative about abortion to ever qualify as a Leftist or probably even a Democrat.  At this point, anyone who signs anti-abortion laws is a Republican.

This is a political distinction I think the Democrats need to rethink.

You may be correct.  The left is remarkably, um, uniform in its belief system.  Diversity of thought is not allowed.

Online corbe

Kasich  will somehow take credit away from Trump for this remarkable achievement.

U.S. Postal Service says dog bite reports are down in Colorado

By  - Associated Press - Saturday, April 7, 2018

DENVER (AP) — The U.S. Postal Service says mail carriers in Colorado experienced fewer attacks by dogs in 2017 than the year before.

The Postal Service released its annual report on dog bites this week.

In Colorado, 132 postal employees reported being attacked by dogs last year. The Postal Service says that is 24 fewer reports than in Colorado in 2016.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/apr/7/us-postal-service-says-dog-bite-reports-are-down-i/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline LauraTXNM

You may be correct.  The left is remarkably, um, uniform in its belief system.  Diversity of thought is not allowed.

I actually think we're seeing the beginnings of a split in the Democratic Party, which I would greatly appreciate.  I would like to see more tolerance for different opinions and compromise across the political spectrum. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Not to derail the thread here, but first off, I only said what I said yesterday because I wanted to make note that I take responsibility for my own actions and certainly do not overestimate my importance as was claimed. I am well aware of my shortcomings. While I understand the empathy/sympathy, I don't really need or want it. Prayers, I'll gladly accept; the Lord works miracles, and I'm well aware that the task I am up against is daunting. I will get through this, one way or another.

However, belittling people as insignificant nothings with over-inflated self-importance because they publicly dare to state how they might vote DOES NOT HELP the situation, and dragging my personal situation into it (veiled or otherwise) was totally uncalled for. If I wanted high-school level bullying, I'd find out whatever channel David Hogg is on today and listen to his pontifications. I do matter, maybe not any more than anyone else, but I do, and even if I didn't, I have the right to have an opinion.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online libertybele

I'd like to remind those who sing praises about Kasich that he, and Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper, a Democrat, have discussed the idea of a joint run for the White House in 2020.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-politics-kasich/republican-kasich-democrat-hickenlooper-mull-joint-white-house-run-media-idUSKCN1B5240
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Not to derail the thread here, but first off, I only said what I said yesterday because I wanted to make note that I take responsibility for my own actions and certainly do not overestimate my importance as was claimed. I am well aware of my shortcomings. While I understand the empathy/sympathy, I don't really need or want it. Prayers, I'll gladly accept; the Lord works miracles, and I'm well aware that the task I am up against is daunting. I will get through this, one way or another.

However, belittling people as insignificant nothings with over-inflated self-importance because they publicly dare to state how they might vote DOES NOT HELP the situation, and dragging my personal situation into it (veiled or otherwise) was totally uncalled for. If I wanted high-school level bullying, I'd find out whatever channel David Hogg is on today and listen to his pontifications. I do matter, maybe not any more than anyone else, but I do, and even if I didn't, I have the right to have an opinion.

Since someone mentioned a book recommendation....

For my son's 18th birthday, he's getting one gift -- A leather-bound copy of Marcus Aurelius' "Meditations".  It's a book I wish I'd read when I was much younger, and so I'm giving it to my son so he can gain that wisdom younger than I did.

It's basically a collection of short bits of wisdom the Emperor jotted down over the course of his life nearly 2000 years ago.  The essence of it is "how to be a good man", but it's kind of broader than that.  It's also a guide for how to live life.

Just a suggestion if you're looking for a book to help you navigate life.  It's been enormously valuable for me.

Offline Mesaclone

For my son's 18th birthday, he's getting one gift -- A leather-bound copy of Marcus Aurelius' "Meditations".  It's a book I wish I'd read when I was much younger, and so I'm giving it to my son so he can gain that wisdom younger than I did.

It's basically a collection of short bits of wisdom the Emperor jotted down over the course of his life nearly 2000 years ago.  The essence of it is "how to be a good man", but it's kind of broader than that.  It's also a guide for how to live life.

Just a suggestion if you're looking for a book to help you navigate life.  It's been enormously valuable for me.

Well stated, sir. Just wanted to add that Aurelius "Meditiations" was a life changing read for me as well...would that we had a Marcus Aurelius in modern politics to save the day! Aurelius understood that life is a about balance, acceptance and having the humility to see our place in this universe in all its glory and insignificance...the paradox of who we are.

I'd recommend Cicero's "On the Good Life"...another great man of deep wisdom, more practical than Aurelius and perhaps a bit more optimistic about human nature. A man who can incorporate Cicero and Aurelius into his daily life is destined to be content with all things as they are.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I just read the first couple of books, and downloaded it to my Kindle.  Thanks!  Eight bucks.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: