Author Topic: Doctor dies after alleged assault during vacation in Mexico (early March)  (Read 780 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Doctor dies after alleged assault during vacation in Mexico
BY Megan Cerullo

A well-liked doctor at the University of Alabama at Birmingham died after he was allegedly assaulted while vacationing with friends in Mexico.

Dr. William O’Byrne, 54, died from head injuries Wednesday at UAB Hospital, where he had been on life support after he was flown back from Mexico, Al.com reported.

O’Byrne was an anesthesiologist specializing in critical care, according to the UAB School of Medicine’s website.

Read more at: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/alabama-doctor-dies-alleged-assault-mexico-article-1.3851121

This is a bad incident, I had not heard about.  Of course, it's tragic when it happens to anyone.  The article itself is from early March.  Maybe we did not hear about this because he had been transported back to the US.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 04:09:09 pm by TomSea »

Offline skeeter

I'd just as soon vacation in Afghanistan.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I'd just as soon vacation in Afghanistan.

Mexico was declared the most, or at least one of the most, dangerous countries in the world. I am constantly amazed at why people keep going there, or allow their children to go there. I know the vacations are super cheap, but there is a very good reason for that. Mexico is essentially a lawless territory. Especially if you leave the cities or a tourist area. If you do that; you are totally on your own.

This is only one of a thousand stories like this that happen every year. Some cruise lines have taken Mexico off their list of stops because it has become too dangerous.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 04:34:06 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline skeeter

Mexico was declared the most, or at least one of the most, dangerous countries in the world. I am constantly amazed at why people keep going there, or allow their children to go there. I know the vacations are super cheap, but there is a very good reason for that. Mexico is essentially a lawless territory. Especially if you leave the cities or a tourist area. If you do that; you are totally on your own.

This is only one of a thousand stories like this that happen every year. Some cruise lines have taken Mexico off their list of stops because it has become too dangerous.

Thirty years ago driving down to Rosarita for Lobster and a couple of beers was alot of fun. Today I'd rather run through Chesterfield Square in a pair of Nike Kyrie 3s.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The seedy underbelly of Mexico has always been there, that is what the novel, "Under the Volcano" is about.... (movie as well)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Volcano  (1947)

It's just that it is way out in the open now, it's on steroids,  in "Under the volcano",  Mexican bandits kill the main character at the end. It was basically, the same phenomenon.

In 1910, the population was 15 million plus, in 1920, 14 million plus, they lose a net million over 10 years... there are various factors at play, but that shows a net effect of the Revolutionary years for Mexico's famous revolution.

http://www.populstat.info/Americas/mexicoc.htm

If one could say, as I've heard Mexicans say, per a cartel or other criminal gang, "my brother was kidnapped and we never saw him again", this is horrific stuff and that's where the country is today.