Author Topic: How Perfectionists Can Get Out of Their Own Way  (Read 347 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
How Perfectionists Can Get Out of Their Own Way
« on: April 03, 2018, 08:23:55 pm »
Like any extreme trait, perfectionism can be a double-edged sword. Having high standards and being hardworking can help someone stand out in a crowded field, and their tenacity can help them improve their skills over time. And, to an extent, being very conscientious can help avoid errors.

The benefits I’ve mentioned, and a fear that any flaw will result in catastrophe, can keep people hooked on their perfectionist mindset. However, there are also significant downsides to attempting mistake-free performance.

If you’re struggling to let go of some of your perfectionistic tendencies, or managing someone who is, it can be helpful to remember the ways perfectionists can self-sabotage in the workplace. I’ll discuss five below. You’ll notice a general theme of the person losing sight of the big picture.

Read more at: https://hbr.org/2018/04/how-perfectionists-can-get-out-of-their-own-way

-----------

I used to be one of those perfectionists till I got older and started understanding the law of marginal returns. If you're putting more into it than you're getting out, you might want to reevaluate, because you're likely missing the big picture and really preventing yourself from accomplishing real achievements.
The Republic is lost.