Author Topic: The Next Best Version of Me: How to Live Forever  (Read 348 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Next Best Version of Me: How to Live Forever
« on: April 03, 2018, 05:12:06 pm »
George Church towers over most people. He has the long, gray beard of a wizard from Middle-earth, and his life’s work—poking and prodding DNA and delving into the secrets of life—isn’t all that far removed from a world where deep magic is real. The 63-year-old geneticist presides over one of the largest and best-funded academic biology labs in the world, headquartered on the second floor of the massive glass and steel New Research Building at Harvard Medical School. He also lends his name as an adviser or supporter to dozens of projects, consortiums, conferences, spinouts, and startups that share a mission to push the outer edge of everything, from biorobotics to bringing back the woolly mammoth. And on a steamy August morning last summer, he wants to talk to me about the outer edge of my life.

Church is one of the leaders of an initiative called the Genome Project-­Write, or GP-Write, which is organizing the efforts of hundreds of scientists around the world who are working to synthesize the DNA of a variety of organisms. The group is still debating how far to go in synthesizing human DNA, but Church—standing in his office in a rumpled sport coat, behind the slender lectern he uses as a desk—says his lab has already made its own decision on the matter: “We want to synthesize modified versions of all the genes in the human genome in the next few years.”

Read more at: https://www.wired.com/story/live-forever-synthetic-human-genome/
The Republic is lost.