Author Topic: Motorcycle cop tickets a self-driving car in San Francisco  (Read 678 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Motorcycle cop tickets a self-driving car in San Francisco
« on: March 30, 2018, 11:37:52 pm »

© REUTERS/Elijah Nouvelage
Now here's a genuine novelty: In San Francisco, a motorcycle cop pulled over an autonomous vehicle and issued it a ticket. The future has arrived.

But the reason — police said it failed to yield to a pedestrian at a crosswalk — probably shouldn't be taken lightly, coming a day after a self-driving car operated by Uber Technologies Inc. struck and killed a woman walking her bicycle across the road March 18 in Tempe, Ariz. Cruise Automation, the operator of the ticketed self-driving car, says the vehicle did nothing wrong. The story was first reported by CBS affiliate KPIX-TV.

Cruise tells the station that its onboard data shows the pedestrian was 10.8 feet away from the car when it began driving in autonomous mode down Harrison Street at 14th Street. The officer pulled the car over shortly after it began accelerating and ticketed the human test driver.

"Safety is our priority in testing our self-driving vehicles," Cruise said in a statement. "California law requires the vehicle to yield the right of way to pedestrians, allowing them to proceed undisturbed and unhurried without fear of interference of their safe passage through an intersection. Our data indicates that's what happened here." It tells the station the human test driver did everything right but is responsible for the citation.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/motorcycle-cop-tickets-a-self-driving-car-in-san-francisco/ar-AAvhG7a?ocid=spartandhp
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Motorcycle cop tickets a self-driving car in San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 12:58:48 am »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 01:15:23 am »
FTA:
General Motorspurchased San Francisco-based Cruise in 2016 to boost its efforts to develop self-driving vehicles. GM is seeking federal approval for a fully autonomous car that lacks a steering wheel, brake pedal or accelerator pedal to join its first commercial ride-sharing fleet in 2019, and it recently announced plans to build the car, which is based on a Chevrolet Bolt electric vehicle, at a plant near Detroit.

Leave to the Marketing idiots at GM to figure out a way to convince the public to refuse to buy their cars.  Who here would buy a car without a steering wheel or pedals?  Just goes to show why the Big Three have been failing for over a half a century.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 01:16:25 am »

Hey!  JohnnyCab is my gag!  I posted it on the last self-driving car thread.... :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:16:59 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 01:20:59 am »
Hey!  JohnnyCab is my gag!  I posted it on the last self-driving car thread.... :laugh:

Meh, I rolled right on by that one.  I figured the comments would be too pedestrian for my taste.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 01:40:45 am »
Meh, I rolled right on by that one.  I figured the comments would be too pedestrian for my taste.
888high58888
I will NOT comply.